Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Sun 19, 2018 8:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Do they reolize this is a $20 radio?
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 1:13 am 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-Zenith-Mod ... SwMhda08hW

Post subject: Re: Do they reolize this is a $20 radio?
PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 1:25 am 

Yeah, but, they do offer a payment plan.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 1:29 am 

This guy can't really think the radio is worth what he's asking.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 1:44 am 

I would bet the seller intended to put a price of $74.99 on the set and the decimal point didn't make it.

Alan

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 3:47 am 

Groceries must be really expensive in Chico,Ca. :roll: :lol: :lol: :roll:

***"Your best teacher is your last mistake"***

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 6:40 am 

You guys must be wrong; he would appear to know the value, since he displays a special educated talent in forecasting electronic solutions;
Quote:
After being turned off, unplugged, and sitting for a few hours, it no longer powers on. Guessing a bum tube

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 12:09 pm 

I guess I look at things differently. I buy, "reburbish" and re-sell radios all the time. Because I know the actual value, I only buy through estate sales, craigslist, and Letgo. But I only sell on eBay.

I like to see exhorbitant prices on eBay. It doesn't mean the seller is gouging buyers like pharmaceutical companies do, it just means he's getting the highest price anyone is willing to pay. AND it's offered worldwide. Plus. it keeps the selling prices high. If the price is too high, he probably won't sell it anyway.

The value of the dollar means different things to different people. Ever hear of someone spending thousands of dollars for shoes, or thousands of dollars just to have dinner with someone famous?

If you have $100 in your pocket, you may hesitate to buy something for $20. But if you have $2000 in your pocket, you probably wouldn't hesitate to pay $200 for something. It's all relative.

And, alot of people have neither the time nor the resources to properly research an item to find out the actual value. How many occasional buyers do you know that subscibe to this forum?

There may be no other identical items for sale, so the buyer has no references. When I want to determine how much to sell a radio for, I first check the sold items. Then I check the for sale items. If I see the identical item that has been sold, I usually price mine higher. If I see one for sale, I usually price mine lower.

I have also found over the years, that if I take the value listed in John Slusser's price guide, and double it, that is usually a good estimate of how much the radio will sell for on eBay. It may mean that I sell a $100 radio for $300, but if the buyer is happy, and I'm happy, what is the harm?

The only thing that bugs me about eBay sellers, is the shipping charges. Instead of asking $50 for an item, with actual shipping charges, they'll ask $30, and triple the shipping charges. So you think that you're getting a good deal. You can tell your friends that you bought a $50 item for only $30.

How many times have you seen a small, light weight item that would normally cost $3 to ship, but the seller want $15 in shipping?

Those are my thoughts, though. Some may disagree with me, but like I said, if the customer is happy with the sale price, and I'm happy...

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 12:25 pm 

there is also a nicer looking restored portable version starting at 9.99.

PostPosted: Apr Mon 16, 2018 7:22 pm 

Restorationnut wrote:

How many times have you seen a small, light weight item that would normally cost $3 to ship, but the seller want $15 in shipping?

Reversing the item price with the shipping price can work. I have one example of that on eBay right now, where I had originally asked $5.49 for the item, opening bid, and $2.95 for shipping. No takers even after re-listing several times.

It's now priced at a $2.95 opening bid, $5.49 shipping and guess what? One bid in, and two lookers.