Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Nov Sat 17, 2018 6:08 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Tue 06, 2018 4:31 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 4531
Location: Bolingbrook, IL
wiscojim wrote:
bullseyeguyz wrote:
Did anyone know him?
Still do. Jack is still alive, he just closed down his radio museum.

.


Jack is getting up in age and I think he lost interest once Janet passed.

_________________
Art's Antique Radio Collection - A work in progress

http://www.myantiqueradio.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Tue 06, 2018 4:50 am 
Member

Joined: Mar Fri 28, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 1318
Location: Phoenix, AZ 85085
radioterry wrote:
charles1 wrote:
Is the on off switch right on the breadboard. I have never seen one like it
Thanks Charles

It has always been my understanding that early Radiodynes had square aluminum plate switches. I understood that these square switches were leftovers from the end of the 4052 and 4066 runs....Radiodynes can have either a square aluminum or a round Bakelite switch. Just my recollection!

BR,

Terry


Terry is correct. The first AK breadboards had the square aluminum switch. That breadboard has patent pending tags on the RF coils. Hmmm. Haven't seen that..
Alan


Last edited by bigalarsen on Nov Tue 06, 2018 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Tue 06, 2018 4:56 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1943
Location: Plymouth, MI
That's a lot of bread Terry! :shock:

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. :oops: Of course you are correct on the projected sale price.)

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Thu 08, 2018 12:02 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3836
Location: Central VA, 23005
atwaterkent1 wrote:
That's a lot of bread Terry! :shock:

(Sorry, couldn't help myself. :oops: Of course you are correct on the projected sale price.)

?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 1:29 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 1253
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Note that the tipped blue tubes stuck into that breadboard are not the correct tubes for it (the auction description says that). They are most likely Arcturus type 127s.

Jim Cross


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Fri 09, 2018 9:13 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3836
Location: Central VA, 23005
Jim Cross wrote:
Note that the tipped blue tubes stuck into that breadboard are not the correct tubes for it (the auction description says that). They are most likely Arcturus type 127s.

Jim Cross

Agreed, but they "look" nice! Blue tubes aside, I have the feeling that this particular Atwater Kent Breadboard is going to go for a pretty high price.

BR,

Terry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 2:21 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1943
Location: Plymouth, MI
$3750.00 for the AK10 !! :shock:

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 2:23 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3836
Location: Central VA, 23005
atwaterkent1 wrote:
$3750.00 for the AK10 !! :shock:

It is much more than an AK10 :wink: .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 3:18 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1943
Location: Plymouth, MI
Too much even for that AK10. I'll wait until the next post Radiodyne comes along. Did you buy it?

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 12:56 pm 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 101
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
The breadboard's low 3-digit serial number, rectangular metal switch and "Patents Pending" imprint on the RF tags suggest that its production likely pre-dated that of the "Radiodyne" branded sets, although it might have been marketed as a Radiodyne receiver in period advertising. I would imagine that radios from that pilot 3-tuner production run are scarce. If it were a transitional 4340, made after "Radiodyne Transformer" was removed from the RF coil tags, it would have a round bakelite switch, "Model 10 Transformer" on the RF tags, no metal tags on the 1-tube islands, and a serial number in the 5500 - 6500 range. Jimmy Edington (atwaterkentsrus) would probably have a better handle than I do on the Bauer radio's pedigree, so maybe he'll chime in.

-- Grant


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 1:49 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3836
Location: Central VA, 23005
gkornberg wrote:
The breadboard's low 3-digit serial number, rectangular metal switch and "Patents Pending" imprint on the RF tags suggest that its production likely pre-dated that of the "Radiodyne" branded sets, although it might have been marketed as a Radiodyne receiver in period advertising. I would imagine that radios from that pilot 3-tuner production run are scarce. If it were a transitional 4340, made after "Radiodyne Transformer" was removed from the RF coil tags, it would have a round bakelite switch, "Model 10 Transformer" on the RF tags, no metal tags on the 1-tube islands, and a serial number in the 5500 - 6500 range. Jimmy Edington (atwaterkentsrus) would probably have a better handle than I do on the Bauer radio's pedigree, so maybe he'll chime in.

-- Grant

+1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 2:50 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1943
Location: Plymouth, MI
The "patent pending" tags were replacements from old stock used on post Radiodyne sets after the Radiodyne tags were removed. (AWA Review, Vol 10, 1996, page 39.)

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 3:57 pm 
Member

Joined: Mar Fri 28, 2008 2:49 pm
Posts: 1318
Location: Phoenix, AZ 85085
atwaterkent1 wrote:
The "patent pending" tags were replacements from old stock used on post Radiodyne sets after the Radiodyne tags were removed. (AWA Review, Vol 10, 1996, page 39.)


That is entirely incorrect to make the claim that this set is "post" Radiodyne no matter what the AWA Review says. The single most important detail about this set is the square on/off switch which were used only on the three digit serial number boards.
Alan


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 6:58 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Sep Mon 18, 2017 2:23 am
Posts: 1943
Location: Plymouth, MI
No such claim made. A claim made in an earlier posting was that the tags were part of the proof it was not post radiodyne. Simply pointing out that the radiodyne models also have the tags.

_________________
Dan

I know just enough to be dangerous.....
(Member - Michigan Antique Radio Club)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Large online radio auctions coming up
PostPosted: Nov Wed 14, 2018 8:37 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 3836
Location: Central VA, 23005
"...The single most important detail about this set is the square on/off switch which were used only on the three digit serial number boards."

+1


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ed Jacobs, palegreenthumb, patrick97214 and 8 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB