Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Aug Thu 28, 2014 2:17 am


All times are UTC [ DST ]



Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 2:11 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 353
Location: Bettendorf, IA, USA
Has anyone had any experience with the Ebays global shipping program. I sold an item to a buyer in Japan and estimated the shipping at $19 using the USPS website. When I tried to send the invoice to the buyer, it would not allow me to send it stating that I had to use the Global shipping program. The price using their program was $63. I found a way to opt out of the program which I never signed up for in the first place but that is for future sales. I called Ebay and they sent a message to the buyer asking for him to request an invoice from me. I was then able to charge him the $19 and I will send it myself. If you sell on ebay, be aware that you may have some unhappy buyers who will blame you for price gouging. Maybe I'm missing something here???? Comments????

_________________
"My biggest goal in life is to have a mental disorder named after me."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 2:16 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Sun 21, 2013 12:21 am
Posts: 3434
Location: Vieques,PR 00765 USA
What was the item you were selling? A single tube or a big radio?

_________________
-Bill

Visit my homebrew page
www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 2:19 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Mar Tue 30, 2010 2:24 am
Posts: 6247
Location: Lehighton, PA.
http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=223553

http://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=225883

Larry

_________________
Radio downloads:
http://www.entnet.com/~personal/rockete ... adio2.html

kb3wbb


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 3:31 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 353
Location: Bettendorf, IA, USA
Bill M wrote:
What was the item you were selling? A single tube or a big radio?

A pair of tubes.

_________________
"My biggest goal in life is to have a mental disorder named after me."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 4:12 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun Sun 15, 2008 3:34 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
Now you have me worried. I haven't signed up for their new program because the old system worked just fine for me. I have to send an escutcheon to Italy. Will let you know what happens.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 4:24 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 353
Location: Bettendorf, IA, USA
I had searched the forum for the word "global" and got no hits. I see the links to the 2 threads from Rocketeer and now see that this has been adressed before. I'll post here later and let you know how my deal works out.

_________________
"My biggest goal in life is to have a mental disorder named after me."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 5:09 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Mon 30, 2012 2:03 am
Posts: 79
Location: tacoma wa
Hi, my son has been selling on Ebay part time for the last two years, and he explained it to me.
Bottom line: It's a far higher up front cost, so many international buyers will not buy an item they might have otherwise.

The idea is to encourage US sellers to offer more items for sale internationally by lowering their liability and removing the additional pitfalls of international shipping.
It's also supposed to give International buyers confidence because ebay will make sure that the item is as described and guarantee it's safe transit.

Ebay has arranged for buyers to pay their country's customs fees and taxes on the item up front, (Maybe even extra ebay fees? not sure)
as well as paying the additional domestic shipping cost to get it to Ebay's US domestic shipping center.
At the domestic shipping center, the item is inspected, and if it is what the seller described, the item is shipped to the international buyer,
and the seller no longer has any liability for the item.


The reason my son does not like it is because a ridiculously higher up front cost will not increase sales, only lower them.
He does not opt into it for any of his items (you have to check a box on every single listing to avoid it),
And yet he said sometimes items still sell through the program.
It may be through other international Ebay sites, not sure exactly how that would work.

My son said that many of his items would never sell internationally if the buyer has to pay all costs up front.
It's supposed to help sales, but I think it hurts them a lot more than helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 5:35 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Sun 17, 2011 1:11 am
Posts: 2871
Location: Los Angeles
You should be able to get out of it:
Attachment:
eBay_Craps.jpg
eBay_Craps.jpg [ 92.62 KiB | Viewed 554 times ]

I don't know if they make new sellers sign onto it. I don't have it, and I'll keep it off.

_________________
Life is like a roll of toilet paper - The closer you get the end, the faster it goes - A.E. Neuman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Tue 20, 2013 10:30 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 15048
Location: SoCal, 91387
Thanks, 3n; just edited mine to opt out as well.

_________________
*******\\\\\\\\\******He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins******/////////*******


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Wed 21, 2013 12:40 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jun Sun 15, 2008 3:34 pm
Posts: 353
Location: Portland, Oregon USA
MariaR wrote:
Now you have me worried. I haven't signed up for their new program because the old system worked just fine for me. I have to send an escutcheon to Italy. Will let you know what happens.

I just sent my package to Italy the old way with no problems so you can still use it. Thanks for letting me know about the OPT OUT option, threeneurons.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 8:14 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Mon 29, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1552
Location: The High Plains, but not drifting.
According to this thread over on ebay, sellers who click "Accept" on the user agreement update screen that they occasionally show you are being opted in to the GSP, without their knowledge.

Those who sell on ebay might want to check their settings...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Central/What-the-HECK-All-my-listings-changed-to-Global-Shipping/m-p/17180257#U17180257


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 11:15 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Sun 17, 2011 1:11 am
Posts: 2871
Location: Los Angeles
clueless wrote:
According to this thread over on ebay, sellers who click "Accept" on the user agreement update screen that they occasionally show you are being opted in to the GSP, without their knowledge.

Those who sell on ebay might want to check their settings...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Central/What-the-HECK-All-my-listings-changed-to-Global-Shipping/m-p/17180257#U17180257


When you posted this, I went over to my eBay preferences, and was to relieved to see it is still "off". But it seems like a coercive tactic, on eBay's part. I'm now going seriously looking into creating an Amazon "store". See what their policies. and fees are. I'll let you guys know, either way, if its a better option, or not.

I was concerned, mostly because, there seems to be a lot of noise on the topic, all posted very recently.

_________________
Life is like a roll of toilet paper - The closer you get the end, the faster it goes - A.E. Neuman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2013 11:48 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 15048
Location: SoCal, 91387
threeneurons wrote:
clueless wrote:
According to this thread over on ebay, sellers who click "Accept" on the user agreement update screen that they occasionally show you are being opted in to the GSP, without their knowledge.

Those who sell on ebay might want to check their settings...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Seller-Central/What-the-HECK-All-my-listings-changed-to-Global-Shipping/m-p/17180257#U17180257


When you posted this, I went over to my eBay preferences, and was to relieved to see it is still "off"

I did the same thing, and with the same result.

I think the best defense however, is to simply review the shipping terms whenever you list something there; it'll only take a minute.

_________________
*******\\\\\\\\\******He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins******/////////*******


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2013 1:29 am 
Member

Joined: Aug Mon 29, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1552
Location: The High Plains, but not drifting.
threeneurons wrote:
But it seems like a coercive tactic, on eBay's part.

Indeed. There seem to be a lot of those lately, like the clause excluding you from class action suits that you could only opt out of by mail. That seemed to me to be a tactic designed to discourage opt-outs and, given that ebay is an e-commerce site, I'd be very surprised if it withstood a competent legal challenge.

Which brings me to another peeve - why can't you email or message customer service? It seems like, for most things, your only option is to speak with somebody with a poor grasp of English, in a call centre. Could it be that they want to avoid leaving a "paper trail"?

threeneurons wrote:
I'm now going seriously looking into creating an Amazon "store". See what their policies. and fees are. I'll let you guys know, either way, if its a better option, or not.

IIRC, the last time that I looked at it their "free" account would only let you list items that ither vendors had already added to the catalogue. To list with your own description (essential for vintage or antique items, which are unique and need to be described in detail) you have to upgrade to a paid account.

Things might have changes since then, though, so I'm looking forward to your report.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2013 3:39 am 
Member

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 353
Location: Bettendorf, IA, USA
I received a positive feedback from my buyer. I would hope he was happy with the $19 shipping rather than the $63. He made no mention of having to pay import fees or taxes and I would guess he didn't. I wonder how often the shipping vendor does't pay the fees to another country and instead just pockets the money. I also wonder if Ebay takes their cut of the highly inflated shipping costs.

_________________
"My biggest goal in life is to have a mental disorder named after me."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2013 7:22 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 15048
Location: SoCal, 91387
brainfade wrote:
I also wonder if Ebay takes their cut of the highly inflated shipping costs.

Ebay's (and PayPal's) percentage is based on the final sales value fee, plus actual shipping cost.

_________________
*******\\\\\\\\\******He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins******/////////*******


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2013 3:20 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Mon 29, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1552
Location: The High Plains, but not drifting.
fifties wrote:
brainfade wrote:
I also wonder if Ebay takes their cut of the highly inflated shipping costs.

Ebay's (and PayPal's) percentage is based on the final sales value fee, plus actual shipping cost.

Strictly speaking, it's a percentage of final sales value, plus the amount charged by the seller for shipping and handling, which is not quite the same thing. For example, I once shipped a radio - the actual shipping cost was around $75, but the packing materials cost the same again. In that scenario, ebay gets 6% of $150, not 6% of $75.

As for brainfade's question, I would imagine that ebay either takes a percentage of the extra fee that Pitney Bowes charges or (possibly more likely) receives a fee from Pitney Bowes in exchange for granting it the franchise. Either way, PB will factor that into the amount that they charge buyers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2013 3:50 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Mon 29, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1552
Location: The High Plains, but not drifting.
clueless wrote:
IIRC, the last time that I looked at it their "free" account would only let you list items that ither vendors had already added to the catalogue. To list with your own description (essential for vintage or antique items, which are unique and need to be described in detail) you have to upgrade to a paid account.

Things might have changes since then, though, so I'm looking forward to your report.


Things have changed since I last looked. Individual sellers can now add items to the catalogue, according to this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-product-page.html?topic=200274770&ld=AZSOAUSCSNavT

The shipping thing looks very complex, though. For individual sellers it seems Amazon wants to charge set fees - which might be problematic with bigger or heavier items, though Professional sellers can set their own charges.

Also, Amazon's fees seem to be higher than ebay's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2013 5:59 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Sun 17, 2011 1:11 am
Posts: 2871
Location: Los Angeles
clueless wrote:
Things have changed since I last looked. Individual sellers can now add items to the catalogue, according to this page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-product-page.html?topic=200274770&ld=AZSOAUSCSNavT

The shipping thing looks very complex, though. ...


Thank you, for that link. Right, off, it looks like I'll have to get the "Professional" account, since I move just over 40 items a month. 15% fees for media ! I guess they don't want you to compete too successfully against them, directly. Bastards ! But most categories it seems to be 8%, which is better than eBay, with 10%:

http://ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/storefees.html

eBay use to have a complex final value scheme. Now its a flat 10% across the board, with a $250 fee, max. That's for a product, that sells for $2500, or more. Don't know if this is the same fee structure for eBay Motors. There, getting those kinds of numbers would be more common.

Base monthly fees: $40 for Amazon, $20 for eBay "Stores".

I'll have to study the shipping rates more closely. Maybe a phone call is in order.

I ship mostly small items, under a pound. Domestically, I only charge around $3 for shipping, typically. I'd like to keep it that way. That makes a big impact, if the item being sold is priced at $12.

_________________
Life is like a roll of toilet paper - The closer you get the end, the faster it goes - A.E. Neuman


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ebay Global Shipping Program
PostPosted: Aug Fri 30, 2013 6:19 pm 
Member

Joined: Aug Mon 29, 2011 4:08 am
Posts: 1552
Location: The High Plains, but not drifting.
threeneurons wrote:
eBay use to have a complex final value scheme. Now its a flat 10% across the board, with a $250 fee, max. That's for a product, that sells for $2500, or more.


If you have a store, it's not quite flat - final value fees can be as low as 4% for videogame consoles or 6% for consumer electronics (including antique radios etc).

Of course, there's also ebay's cut of S&H...


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 29 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Kirbyc, rocklandman and 6 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  



















Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB