Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Fri 24, 2017 1:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RNY CL: Telefunken Montclair II
PostPosted: Oct Mon 10, 2016 1:18 am 

Telefunken Montclair II on Rochester NY craigslist. Not my thing, but pretty cool looking. Ad says $95.00. Looks like top of the line?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/ele/5820910274.html

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 24.57 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 26.18 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 41.4 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

Attachment:
4.jpg
4.jpg [ 72.7 KiB | Viewed 388 times ]

Post subject: Re: RNY CL: Telefunken Montclair II
PostPosted: Oct Fri 21, 2016 6:32 pm 

I ended up buying this unit. There's a group here that does a lot of estate sales. I bought it for 80$
The unit is beautiful. There is only one tiny scratch, but otherwise the finish is gorgeous.
I was on this site because I didn't know too much about this model.
Does anyone know what type of wood?
Does anyone know the year it was made?

It sounds nice, but one speaker is not working properly/fully.
The turntable does not work and if I touch the needle, no sound goes through to the speakers.
I haven't opened it up yet.
It did have a few manuals for the unit inside, which looked near mint. But they don't say details about the wood type or the year.

I'm debating fixing up the units inside or replacing the turntable with my own.
Thanks.
-Andy

PostPosted: Oct Fri 21, 2016 6:32 pm 

I ended up buying this unit. There's a group here that does a lot of estate sales. I bought it for 80$
The unit is beautiful. There is only one tiny scratch, but otherwise the finish is gorgeous.
I was on this site because I didn't know too much about this model.
Does anyone know what type of wood?
Does anyone know the year it was made?

It sounds nice, but one speaker is not working properly/fully.
The turntable does not work and if I touch the needle, no sound goes through to the speakers.
I haven't opened it up yet.
It did have a few manuals for the unit inside, which looked near mint. But they don't say details about the wood type or the year.

I'm debating fixing up the units inside or replacing the turntable with my own.
Thanks.
-Andy

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 9:17 pm 

Andy, I am working on the exact same model. It turns on but lost all sound one day. I took it on as a "learning experience," I have done a bit of circuit repair in the past. The original owner left the unit with me to get working for their son. They said they bought it around 1974. Not sure about the type of wood. It looks like the cabinet and speaker system are Canadian, with electronics from Germany.

The Montclair II consists of a tuner-preamp unit with the control panel and rear jacks, and a separate solid state power amplifier/power supply unit mounted low in the center of the cabinet. The speaker system appears to be 16 ohm, 3-way.

Did you sort out the dead channel on your unit? The idler wheel pivot was stuck on the turntable in the system I am working on, preventing the idler wheel from contacting the motor shaft and platter rim. The turntable automatics are driven by the platter, so nothing will happen if the platter is not spinning. As for the turntable sound, make sure the signal wires are all connected to the PCB in the bottom of the turntable (female spade connectors fit into slots in the PCB) and the RCA-to-DIN adapter at the other end of the turntable lead is plugged into the corresponding plug in the rear jack panel of the tuner-pre panel.

I scoped the signal path, and the signal looks good out of the preamp into the power amp. There is signal with no speakers attached, but goes nearly dead as soon as the speakers are connected. I'm working on my fledgling power amp circuit knowledge to try to get to the bottom of it.