Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Wed 16, 2017 6:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Make a Offer option on E-bay
PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 3:26 am 

I have used this a few time with success, about a month ago I offered what I though was a decent offer, the item had been up for over a month, and once you make a offer according to e-bay the seller has 48 hours to accept, decline, or counter offer... this particular seller ignored my offer because they did not even decline it and it expired. I brought this up on ebay forum, and I was told the seller does not have to accept, decline, or counter... and they can in fact ignore your offer.... so what is the point of this option if the seller can ignore a offer.... how would a potential buyer even know if a offer was considered?

Post subject: Re: Make a Offer option on E-bay
PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 4:02 am 

IMO it would be better if they had to at least decline the offer rather than just ignore it. Some sellers are so uncommunicative you wonder why they are auction sites in the first place.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 4:29 am 

When I get low-ball offers I sometimes just ignore them. Getting into shouting matches with these losers is no feather in my cap; they either really believe a Hammarlund receiver is only worth $25 (with free shipping), or they think you are stupid, or they just like to push peoples' buttons. You can't win talking with these guys.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 4:33 am 

I always use the "reject offer automatically if less than..." Prevents the spitting contest.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 4:35 am 

Bones007 wrote:
... so what is the point of this option if the seller can ignore a offer.... how would a potential buyer even know if a offer was considered?

You know that it was considered because you made it and it wasn't accepted.

When you make an offer and there are other pending offers, ebay highlights that. So the seller probably left your offer pending pour encourager les autres.

eBay is not a machine for enabling you to get something for nothing. Get over it.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 5:56 am 

clueless wrote:

eBay is not a machine for enabling you to get something for nothing. Get over it.

That's a little harsh, isn't it?
He said the item had been up for over a month, so presumably the seller would be softer on the price, but regardless, should have at least had the courtesy to acknowledge by either rejecting or countering.

I too have made offers in the past that were seemingly ignored, and it sorta leaves a bad taste.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 6:44 am 

One time I made a last second offer. I don't know what I was thinking. It expired a second later. :roll:

Dyed-in-the-wool sniper, I am.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 1:53 pm 

fifties wrote:
clueless wrote:

That's a little harsh, isn't it?

Yes, it is. Sorry chaps.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 2:27 pm 

I think the make an offer option can also be used as an effective tool for seller strategy. When an offer is submitted it posts a "pending offer" signal to the auction site which shows increasing interest and activity for that item. The seller can allow any offer to get through in hopes of attracting two or three pending offer signals which might be enough to send a message to other potential buyers the item is about to sell. The seller can also revise his item to block offers below a specified amount if he is getting too many low ball bids. The number of offers made still shows, however, even after they have expired.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 27, 2016 3:04 pm 

clueless wrote:
Bones007 wrote:
... so what is the point of this option if the seller can ignore a offer.... how would a potential buyer even know if a offer was considered?

You know that it was considered because you made it and it wasn't accepted.

When you make an offer and there are other pending offers, ebay highlights that. So the seller probably left your offer pending pour encourager les autres.

I do not expect to get something for nothing... but I expect to at least be acknowledged when I make a offer , maybe i should have mentioned the fact that the seller contacted me again a week after my offer expired , wanting to discuss my offer... I ignored him as the offer had expired.... heh heh heh...

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 2:40 am 

Sometime things come up. I bought something once on Ebay and sent 6 or so messages with no response and no item. Seller contacted me a month later and had been in the hospital. He dropped the price and I bought it. I had to call ebay to get the negative feedback removed. I have had fairly good luck with the best offer option. Sam

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 3:12 am 

I have ignored offers quite a few times when the potential buyer gives you a super insulting offer. Otherwise, I just make a counteroffer or accept it.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 3:16 am 

AuroraOldRadios wrote:
I always use the "reject offer automatically if less than..." Prevents the spitting contest.

++1 8)

Lloyd

Advice-It's like Cooking. You have to Taste it First, before you Feed it to Others.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 3:59 am 

If something has been listed for a month and there are no takers, that usually means it's priced too high. If you made an offer and it was ignored, that tells me they don't want to sell it.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 4:10 am 

zenith82 wrote:
If something has been listed for a month and there are no takers, that usually means it's priced too high. If you made an offer and it was ignored, that tells me they don't want to sell it.

Try telling that to all of those "forever" listings on CL and *bay with stupidly high prices.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 8:17 am 

zenith82 wrote:

Maybe...

Another point of view: there are a lot less buyers on eBay now. If an item doesn't sell that may not mean it's priced too high; you need the right buyer at the right time. If you are selling gold at $400 an once, and all the viewers don't want gold or don't have the $400, it ain't gonna sell. I have seen many items at killer prices that I didn't bid on, for many reasons. I sold one power supply yesterday that I had relisted many times; 2kv at 5ma. Not a lot of buyers for an item like that. I don't think we have the right to criticize sellers for their asking prices, although we can get a good laugh sometimes.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 9:48 am 

I don't disagree with you, Johnnysan.

But take a look at the tombstones listed for sale in Newcastle on Seattle craigslist. Most of those have been listed for 2-3 years, and have never dropped price one cent. I know the seller; he says, "I need to get that price." But I just can't think that they're "right priced."

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 1:13 pm 

Quote:
so what is the point of this option if the seller can ignore a offer.... how would a potential buyer even know if a offer was considered?

My wife and I both use "Best Offer" on occasion.
If the offer is ridiculously too low we tend to ignore.
I also make Best Offers and seldom offer a price lower than 20-25%.
If an item is over priced I will not even attempt to offer.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 1:24 pm 

I don't think you can regulate rudeness. Sure will be polite to tell the one making the offer if the offer is not consider, but for sure I wouldn't want to be forced to do so. Some times you just want to ignore whatever it is.
From my point of view I think the way Ebay treats offers is just fine.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 28, 2016 11:35 pm 

dan3460 wrote:
I don't think you can regulate rudeness. Sure will be polite to tell the one making the offer if the offer is not consider, but for sure I wouldn't want to be forced to do so. Some times you just want to ignore whatever it is.
From my point of view I think the way Ebay treats offers is just fine.

Actually when posting an item for sale via BIN on eBay with a "make offer" option, the seller can use the automatic rejection or acceptance feature, when listing it. If he does, then an offer below his threshold will result in an immediate response to the buyer, advising that the seller has rejected the offer. I think the daily limit is three (low ball) offers per day.

I usually assume that any offer less than 80% of the posted price will be rejected, so offer just above that. As often as not, the seller will come back with a counter.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 40 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next