Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 24, 2017 1:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Make a Offer option on E-bay
PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2016 2:24 am 

zenith82 wrote:
If something has been listed for a month and there are no takers, that usually means it's priced too high. If you made an offer and it was ignored, that tells me they don't want to sell it.

I don't believe either of these statements to be true based on personal experience. I have had, and seen stuff sit for over a year and then sell. The price may have been right, or a bit high, but there are a lot of unusual items out there that take a special customer. It just takes the right buyer for the item. I have ignored plenty of stupid low offers, and never had a problem selling an item for my price. I recently listed a medium flat rate box full of router guides that I picked up from an auction. I wanted $75 of best offer. Within 2 hours I had offers of $45 and $50 both of which I ignored. The 3rd hour somebody hit "buy it now" happily without even making an offer.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2016 2:52 am 

I've also used the Make An Offer feature to submit offers at 80% of the BIN, 90% of the BIN, and 95% of the BIN, and had all 3 offers rejected immediately.

If the seller's not even willing to consider an offer at 95% of the BIN, why include the Make Offer option at all??? Just in case someone wants to offer MORE than the BIN?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2016 2:59 am 

Scott wrote:
zenith82 wrote:
If something has been listed for a month and there are no takers, that usually means it's priced too high. If you made an offer and it was ignored, that tells me they don't want to sell it.

I don't believe either of these statements to be true based on personal experience. I have had, and seen stuff sit for over a year and then sell. The price may have been right, or a bit high, but there are a lot of unusual items out there that take a special customer. It just takes the right buyer for the item. I have ignored plenty of stupid low offers, and never had a problem selling an item for my price. I recently listed a medium flat rate box full of router guides that I picked up from an auction. I wanted $75 of best offer. Within 2 hours I had offers of $45 and $50 both of which I ignored. The 3rd hour somebody hit "buy it now" happily without even making an offer.

There's a difference. It's true that some things are a niche market; however, I was addressing things like the $500 Philco Hippos and the hundreds of similar ridiculous ads we all see everyday. For every one of the niche market cases, there is at least a hundred of the other.

If you price something fairly and you know it's going to take a while to sell, then by all means ignore the low-ball offers, especially when they offer half of what you have it listed for.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2016 8:02 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:
I've also used the Make An Offer feature to submit offers at 80% of the BIN, 90% of the BIN, and 95% of the BIN, and had all 3 offers rejected immediately.

If the seller's not even willing to consider an offer at 95% of the BIN, why include the Make Offer option at all??? Just in case someone wants to offer MORE than the BIN?

Hitting the BIN button means you've bought it at that price; why would anyone want to offer more than the price the seller is willing to sell for?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 29, 2016 12:55 pm 

Automatic rejection of an offer at 95% of the BIN price means that the seller only wants BIN price and just clicked the best offer for the heck of it. That is a misuse of the features of an sale, it happens the same thing with advertising "No Reserve" in big bold letters and starting the auction at $100. Well, $100 is the "reserve".

PostPosted: Dec Fri 30, 2016 4:26 am 

palegreenthumb wrote:

I made a reasonable offer on a common item once and had the seller quickly counter with 5% MORE than the BIN price. The item is still sitting there, 6-months later. Guess he did me a backhand favor.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 30, 2016 3:06 pm 

palegreenthumb wrote:
I've also used the Make An Offer feature to submit offers at 80% of the BIN, 90% of the BIN, and 95% of the BIN, and had all 3 offers rejected immediately.?

Those are all reasonable offers and, if I were the seller, would have resulted in a sale - or at least a reasonable counter-offer.

OTOH, it's seldom worth making a counter-offer on lowball offers, as the buyers typically fail to respond and just let the counter-offer expire. The exact same thing that people complain about sellers doing.

PostPosted: Dec Fri 30, 2016 3:21 pm 

The auction does not have to even say make an offer and I make one through contact seller. Usually items I have been watching for months with no sale and just get automatically relisted. I think sellers forget about them. The price on these items are usually way too high. I get one of three responses. No, counter offer, explanation on why they can't lower the price. Oh or I never hear anything.

Len

PostPosted: Dec Fri 30, 2016 5:21 pm 

I just did an offer on an expensive MCM sofa, and won. It was a 29 day auction, and on the 27th day I made my offer she was not real happy with the offer, as she wanted $500 more but took it. Of course it was around the Thanksgiving holiday. I see the exact same sofa on Etsy for the same original price as the one I bought and it has not sold. Of course it took me 7 years to find this sofa.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 31, 2016 1:46 am 

arzoo623 wrote:
The auction does not have to even say make an offer and I make one through contact seller.

I think that's actually a breach of the ebay user agreement. We're not supposed to make offers unless the seller invites them, from what I've read. I can't point to chapter & verse, though and am too lazy to look it up, so I may be wrong.

arzoo623 wrote:
Oh or I never hear anything.

If I'm not wrong, that may be why.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 31, 2016 5:24 am 

clueless wrote:
arzoo623 wrote:
The auction does not have to even say make an offer and I make one through contact seller.

I think that's actually a breach of the ebay user agreement. We're not supposed to make offers unless the seller invites them, from what I've read. I can't point to chapter & verse, though and am too lazy to look it up, so I may be wrong.

arzoo623 wrote:

I've contacted sellers after a listing has expired and made offers, some of which have been accepted. They have always wanted to do it within eBay, so I'll simply suggest for them to post a BIN at my offer, and LMK as soon as they do it, so I can execute the buy.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 31, 2016 2:03 pm 

fifties wrote:
I've contacted sellers after a listing has expired and made offers, some of which have been accepted.

That's different from doing it while a listing is active, though and is not a breach of any rules AFAICT.

fifties wrote:
They have always wanted to do it within eBay,

eBay aggressively goes after sellers who offer or accept offers to take a transaction outside of ebay, which explains that.

fifties wrote:
... so I'll simply suggest for them to post a BIN at my offer, and LMK as soon as they do it, so I can execute the buy.

A better way is to have them list it with an excessively high BIN and "Make Offer" enabled. That minimizes the chances of anybody else stumbling upon it and snagging it before you can. Granted, they're already small, but what if your Internet connection went out for a few hours? Or any number of other possible mishaps.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 31, 2016 9:57 pm 

clueless wrote:

fifties wrote:
... so I'll simply suggest for them to post a BIN at my offer, and LMK as soon as they do it, so I can execute the buy.

A better way is to have them list it with an excessively high BIN and "Make Offer" enabled. That minimizes the chances of anybody else stumbling upon it and snagging it before you can. Granted, they're already small, but what if your Internet connection went out for a few hours? Or any number of other possible mishaps.

No, I'd rather do it the way I've done before.
I've got that price set in the sellers mind, as well as myself as the exclusive buyer.

Yes, someone else could come along and snag it, but remember, it's from an expired listing because no one would pay his original asking or minimum bid price, and my offer is generally in that range.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 01, 2017 2:39 am 

As a buyer, if the B.I.N price is fair (or a good deal, or you really want it badly, or...) to avoid any possible frustration it's better not to use the best offer option and buy the item right now. I've lost a couple of items by waiting to the seller's response to my offer and in the meantime someone else bought it using B.I.N
If I consider the price marginally high I usually offer 10-15% less and about 80% of my offers are accepted. I perfectly understand that insultingly low offers don't receive any reply from the seller, whatever his initial price is, or how long the item has remained listed unsold. If I feel the price is excessive or disproportionate I don't waste my (and the seller's) time with lowball offers...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 04, 2017 7:54 pm 

clueless wrote:
arzoo623 wrote:

arzoo623 wrote:

I pay through ebay so they get their cut. Its not like I contact them outside the system.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 05, 2017 2:53 pm 

arzoo623 wrote:
I pay through ebay so they get their cut. Its not like I contact them outside the system.

I get that and I completely agree with you. If eBay puts a buyer and seller together then they've done what they were being paid for and are morally entitled to their cut.

It's just that I dimly recall reading something to the effect that offers are automatically considered "unwelcome" if the seller doesn't have the "make offer" feature enabled. But, as I say, I'm too lazy to look it up and I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 05, 2017 8:04 pm 

There are two scenarios that really irk me when it comes to "make an offer" and automatic offer rejections:

The seller does respond - and then rationalizes why he cannot accept your offer. As in "I can't take more than 1% off my BIN price or I won't even break even."

Not my problem if you paid more for the item to begin with than the market value.

If the seller is going to place an automatic rejection on offers - that the buyer is not privy to and only has 3 tries to "guess" what that figure might be before eBay locks them out of further BIN offers - then just put the damned thing up for auction with a reserve price and let the marketplace sort it out.

Ultimately that's all Best Offer with automatic offer rejection is to begin with.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 05, 2017 10:41 pm 

rickajho wrote:
There are two scenarios that really irk me when it comes to "make an offer" and automatic offer rejections:

The seller does respond - and then rationalizes why he cannot accept your offer. As in "I can't take more than 1% off my BIN price or I won't even break even."

Not my problem if you paid more for the item to begin with than the market value.

You are assuming that when they post something like that, that they are being truthful; wanna buy a bridge, eh eh?

rickajho wrote:
If the seller is going to place an automatic rejection on offers - that the buyer is not privy to and only has 3 tries to "guess" what that figure might be before eBay locks them out of further BIN offers - then just put the damned thing up for auction with a reserve price and let the marketplace sort it out.

Ultimately that's all Best Offer with automatic offer rejection is to begin with.

Unfortunately eBay charges for the reserve price feature, and they have noted in the past that it does turn off buyers, which is my perception as well.
I believe there is a time limit on the 3 offers, I think it expires daily, so you can do another the following day.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 08, 2017 5:35 pm 

There has been speculation, on some of the ebay boards, that having an open offer gives an item a boost in search rankings.

If that's the case, then it might explain why some sellers fail to respond. It's in their interests to leave it open as long as possible, to increase exposure.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:30 am 

Bad form to reply to my own post, I know, but I've had a further thought that's (at least tangentially) related.

Best Offer is a good example of one way in which eBay's interests are different from sellers' interests.

Sellers want to maximize sales revenue. eBay wants to maximize buyer spend. The two are not the same. My hypothesis is that eBay reckons that buyers have a given amount of money to spend and what they don't spend with one seller, they'll spend with another.

Say that Johnnysan has a tube tester for sale and I have an O'scope for sale. We each list our items at a reasonable $150 OBO and would like to get $120. A buyer, with $120 in his pocket comes along and offers us each $60.

It's not in either of our interests to accept. Our prices are reasonable and we'll likely get our $120 if we wait. Even if we get sick of waiting, we'll certainly get an offer higher than 40% of our asking price.

But it's very much in eBay's interest for us to accept. If we both do, they've sucked 100% of the available spend out of that buyer. Now, we could both hold out and the buyer might give one of us his $120. For us, that's the prisoner's dilemma - so we should hold out. For eBay, it's a case of two birds in the bush vs one in the hand - so they should pressure us to fold.

Which they do. Look at the language used in best offer messages, the bombardment of "offer expired" emails, etc. All designed to exert psychological pressure on sellers to accept low offers regardless.

It's something that bears thinking about, for those venturing to sell with Best Offer, I'd suggest.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 40 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2