Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Fri 24, 2017 9:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crosley 1019 M
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 7:52 am 

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/5955693491.html

I can't decide whether I love or hate this radio's styling. It's definitely not something you see every day, that's for sure.

Post subject: Re: Crosley 1019 M
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 8:24 am 

Agreed... I can't decide either. I like that the escutcheon is in good shape.

And those knobs--like white Prestotune knobs--very cool. Never saw those before!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:04 pm 

Strange tube lineup, odd speaker and sound box configuration, strange color for the knobs and dial escutcheon, oddly shaped top...it's just a really strangely styled radio, but there's a certain attraction in that uniqueness.
Still not sure I'd want it in my living room, though. I bet it's a good performer, though!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 5:38 pm 

It's the "Pacer" of console radios,you either love it or hate it,I vote "hate it",I've seen one up close,big sucker.
Phil

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 6:36 pm 

I used to have the 819M which uses the same cabinet.

Interesting and unusual radio. Its performance was good and I liked it, but not enough to keep it.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 7:09 pm 

As a radio fan, I always find something to "like" about them all, plain or exotic. Consider a "fair" rating system beginning with "purpose", they all get a "10" for communication. Run a list to include styling, engineering, size and cost constraints, etc etc.
Who can argue with this Crosley, unbelievable company story, unique period automotive dash, tedious back loaded horn cabinet build. May not want to take her to the prom, alright, bet she sounds good though.
I am fortunate to own some crazy nice Scott, McMurdo, Zentih, and Midwest. Case in point, my Philco 690. "Ugly" you say ? A company that didn't stop with a "chassis in a box". Ear height sloped baffle projection, clarifier-reduced cabinet resonance and bass enhancement. Power to spare for extended undistorted musicality. They even had the balls to report FR charts, perhaps the cusp of defined "hi-fidelity". When asked their listening preference, my audiophool McIntosh typos can't believe this "dumb" "old school" "ugly" radio. For the record, it beats all the aforementioned pricey sets, hands down. Umm, guys, it has that 6L6 supply you so adore, the drivers are dipole running open baffle. Maybe those old design "phools" really knew something !!!

Not trying to pump Philco or any other here guys, just a long way of saying, you don't know what you got till it's, "ON" !!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 2:25 am 

Hello,

I am the owner of the Crosley 1019 listed above on the SF Bay Area Craigslist. This radio was my parents for the last 20+ years and I was just recently asked to try and sell it for them. Unfortunately there is little to no information about this specific model so determining a value / fair asking price is quite difficult. The only 1019 M that I found (via Google) was sold in 2015 for $700 on theradioattic . com Other than that I have had no luck determining the value of this radio. I have no desire to keep it so I am wondering if any of you have suggestions for a fair asking price? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 8:29 am 

Welcome, wmw. You're at the right place. Six guys in your thread will be happy to give you eight opinions. :D

Point of clarification, the one on RadioAttic was *listed* for $700 when it sold. It could have sold for anything, $100, $350, $600, no-one knows but the buyer and seller. RadioAttic shows only asking prices, not sold prices.

Okay points to consider: Consoles are considered most collectible when they have 11 tubes or more, round dials, and brass escutcheons. Yours is 8 tubes, linear dial, and early plastic escutcheon. Makes it a bit harder to sell. But it has some good points too, like the plastic parts are in good condition, the dial is large and colourful, and the knobs are unique (and they're all there). That's part of the reason we were saying we can't decide if we love it or hate it... The usual reasons to dislike a radio like this, all have counterpoints in this radio. Plus your photos are quite good, which helps a LOT.

Truth of the matter is, consoles seem to have been selling pretty well lately on eBay. I could see willeezwarez pulling down $200-300 for your radio pretty easily. Overall, $400 may be a little high as an asking price, but it might find you a motivated buyer. If it doesn't sell quickly though, don't be afraid to drop the price.

One thing to realize is that people who are actively seeking radios watch sources like craigslist and eBay hourly. When you put the right item up at the right price, you know it almost instantly. Someone inquires in the first 24 hours, sometimes much sooner. I've seen radios show up on CL and be delisted 30 minutes later because the seller had found a buyer, and I was told, "Ok, you're 2nd in line." If you get no hits in the first week you're listed, your price is likely too high.

So be flexible. The only thing I'd change on your ad initially is to make it clear if you're open to offers by saying either 'firm' or 'OBO' at the bottom with the price. After that, I'd say run it like a reverse auction, dropping your price 8-12% each week (keep it in multiples of $20 for CL) until it sells. And if you're willing to help someone arrange shipping, put that in the ad too; you might find an out of town buyer. Just say if the buyer wants to arrange shipping, you're willing be home and open your door when the shipping company comes to pick it up. Okay, say it more tactfully than that, but you get the gist.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 5:26 pm 

Welcome WMW,

Finding a price point you can live with can be tricky, especially considering the potential sentimental value the set may hold for your folks. I agree with Rodney (Palegreenthumb) on all points he mentioned.

I'd further proffer that it's a buyer's market out there for most console radios, due to their large size, and commitment required to collect them, based on the hassles involved in moving them around, and the space they take up. Add to that the fact that industry cranked them out by the hundreds of thousands for many years, and that there's something of a glut of unremarkable ones out there for sale (often at ridiculously high prices). Those of us who keep an eye on Craigslist can attest to just how many overpriced antique console radios there are being offered. Unless they're very desirable, they do have a tendency to languish unless in excellent condition and/or are priced to move.

I think the hardest factor in pricing your radio, is the simple fact that your set is one not commonly seen. You may immediately equate rarity with value, but that notion doesn't always square.

To be frank, I personally don't believe a $400 asking price is realistic for this set, for the reasons stated previously. That being said, I think the best gauge to how appropriate the price for your radio is, would be the reaction you get to your ad. If it stays on CL for a week and all you get are the proverbial crickets chirping, then you can glean that people aren't liking your price.

The presence of this thread indicates that the ad is working, and the news about your radio is definitely out there. If it doesn't sell, odds are very good that price will be the reason why.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your sale!

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 12:25 am 

Really appreciate the input guys. I'm motivated to sell this as I don't have room to keep it. I went ahead and dropped the price to 300 obo, hopefully that sparks some interest.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 12:55 am 

Sent you a PM, maybe use it as guide...$300 is a drastic drop to me, at least at an early stage. Vultures are everywhere, and that includes forum you embrace here. Sorry, there's plenty that would steal an 80 year old widow blind, seriously, I mean, come on guys !

PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 7:47 am 

tasar wrote:
there's plenty that would steal an 80 year old widow blind, seriously, I mean, come on guys !
Well. That's one way to treat your friends.

tasar wrote:
Sent you a PM, maybe use it as guide...$300 is a drastic drop to me, at least at an early stage.
Why be so secretive about it? Let's hear what you would do. No-one here advocated a $100 price drop; that was wmw's decision because he wants to move it out. Maybe he's not so interested whether he gets $300 or $400 for it, maybe he just wants it gone?

PostPosted: Jan Sun 22, 2017 6:17 pm 

Looks like no action after a week at the reduced price.
Perhaps eBay might be a better venue to sell the radio. More people will see it there, but shipping becomes a big chore.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 31, 2017 6:38 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys, Been on vacation so I am just reading these.

Tasar, didn't receive any pm's... I'll double check my forum settings.

Really don't want to deal with shipping, motivated to sell it locally.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 2:12 am 

Sold today locally for $200. I'm happy. Thanks again for everyone's input.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 01, 2017 4:54 am 

Excellent, congratulations!

Job well done.

Hey... can RadioMuseum use your pictures? Send me a Private Message if that's OK.

-Rodney