Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Former eBay sellers: What made you stop selling on eBay?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 7:15 pm 

A few years ago, i found an old computer that had a large cache of old ebay auction pages on it for the radio collectables categories. This machine was retired somewhere around 2003.

What struck me was the sheer number of items available for bid back then compared to now....at that time, it had dropped by more than 75%. Since then it has continued to decline further. Clearly, there are a lot of people that ain't selling on eBay any more.

If you are one of them, what made you stop?

For me, it was a combination of factors that eventually snowballed into a decision not to sell any more:

Seller's fees gradually raised from 4% to 12%.

Requiring sellers to accept credit cards, while restricting the card venues to the point that effectively only PayPal is accepted.

Increasingly restrictive feedback rules for sellers that weren't also applied to buyers (eventually leading to the seller not being able to leave a legitamate negative AT ALL)

Favoring some sellers over others in search results.

A shipping calculator that notoriously under-calculated the cost of shipping items unless you doubled the weight of the item when listed (which i did, and refunded any overage to the buyer).

Allowing buyers to return items up to SIX MONTHS after purchase, for almost any reason, and forcing the seller to eat the shipping costs both ways (this led to a fair amount of "discounts" offered to buyers solely to avoid the fees, and to avoid a negative)

Adding the shipping cost to the final value fee (this was the final straw for me).

I still buy stuff on ebay, but mostly NOS parts costing less than $10.00. I haven't bought a complete radio in at least 10 years, and almost never just browse the site anymore.

Post subject: Re: Former eBay sellers: What made you stop selling on eBay?
PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 9:00 pm 

All of the above, and eBay removing some of my feedback left for a parts seller. I bid on two large lots of capacitors, with the leads showing full length. I got short lead, used caps that were marginal at best. I opened a case, and eBay closed it with no comment from the seller. So I left negative feedback on both auctions, stating facts, and that was deleted by eBay 8 days later. The seller continues to sell, 99.99% positive feedback, with who knows how many negatives deleted... :evil:

Aside form the occasional old TV part from small sellers (>10000 feedback, and I walk.....), I've purchased just 40-50 dollars of stuff on eBay on the last 6 years. In 2005, I bought just over $11,000 in parts and test equipment, and sold over $4,000 in parts on eBay - mostly flips from the larger lots I bought.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 10:27 pm 

I still sell on eBay, but would not if I didn't need the income. Several big problems (IMO):

* eBay still cannot get shipping charges right; this kills my sales and also limits my buying.

* Sneaky little tricks, like dropping the Top Rated Seller discount from 20% to 10%.

* Mostly automated system of handling complaints, like Item Not As Described or Item Not Received; you waste at least 4 days for nothing.

* Shipping charges mysteriously going 30 to 45% higher when you go to the checkout page. Also, some of the similar items for sale that pop up when you complete a purchase will say "Free Shipping" NOT!

* Continually changing the Seller pages, for no apparent reason.

* Snarky little comments in emails, like "Do you really want to sell this item?" when it's time to relist it.

* Seller page now has comparisons of your selling levels to last month and last year, and comparisons to the "eBay community." I don't care to be chastised for "underperforming."

I know some smart cookies at eBay think this will spur sales, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 10:31 pm 

I still use Ebay and do get frustrated with all the buyer sided decisions

But I wonder where have the radios gone that were being sold on EBay?

I would gladly switch if there was a platform that attracted as many viewers

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 10:43 pm 

Is there any other decent nationwide venue for buying / selling - not just radios / parts, but ANYTHING?
I would jump ship in a heartbeat!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 11:49 pm 

oldradio99 wrote:
I still use Ebay and do get frustrated with all the buyer sided decisions

I use eBay all the time, mostly as a buyer, occasionally as a seller. I don't let frustration set in, just roll with the flow. Ain't no point in gettin' aggravated over things you have no control over.

I don't understand, however, the issue stated in this thread when posting an auction, about the shipping cost. I do not use eBay's calculator, and set my own damn rates. I also ignore their suggestion messages about what to price an item that didn't sell.

oldradio99 wrote:
But I wonder where have the radios gone that were being sold on EBay?

OK, and this subject has come up on another antique collectible site, as well. The answer may be that over the last 20 years or so, most of what was available for sale has been liquidated, bought by those seeking them. Therefore, far less activity has become the current norm.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 11:54 pm 

Quote:
Adding the shipping cost to the final value fee (this was the final straw for me).

This is a very unfair tax on those who ship heavy items and forced me to look elsewhere to sell items.

I now list on both ETSY and eBay. ETSY fees are low and fair. For example, a recent $200 sale resulted in a $7 selling fee on ETSY. eBay's fee would have been $20.
In addition, listing an item on ETSY is only 20 Cents for three months. Unfortunately, I don't sell enough items on ETSY to make it the only selling venue. eBay still reaches more possible buyers.

A search for "tube radio" on ETSY reveals over 1700 listings. Prices are list prices \. So, if you want to pay less make an offer.
https://www.etsy.com/search?q=tube+radio

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 12:49 am 

I quit selling on eBay because of the costs, it seems 1/4 to 1/3 goes to listing fees, commissions, shipping miscalculations
Lucky to break even on some items. No successful business ever operated in the red, unless your Tesla and Elan Musk with huge
Obama era hang outs.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 2:25 am 

Quote:

OK, and this subject has come up on another antique collectible site, as well. The answer may be that over the last 20 years or so, most of what was available for sale has been liquidated, bought by those seeking them. Therefore, far less activity has become the current norm.

That would be true, if people never died.

But they do, all the time. So, what happens to the radios then?

Maybe 10-15 years ago, i would see fairly huge estates of silent keys being auctioned one piece at a time on eBay, over a period of weeks or months. The proceeds from the sales then made that approach practical for liquidators who were contractually bound to get maximum value out of the estate.

Nobody does that anymore, because the fees eat up such a vast amount of the proceeds that the level of effort isn't worth it any more. Instead, it goes to a massive one-day traditional auction, where the fees may be higher but there is no shipping hassle and the sale is 100% FINAL.

Another route is to simply donate the stuff to charity and get the tax write-off, or consign it for some percentage of proceeds. Over the past few years, this is where the majority of the stuff that our radio club has acquired for sale has come from. We do have an eBay presence, but most of the tiny percentage of stuff sold there is vintage ham gear and really high end audio gear that historically has not sold well in our yearly donation auction.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 3:05 am 

Quote:

* Seller page now has comparisons of your selling levels to last month and last year, and comparisons to the "eBay community." I don't care to be chastised for "underperforming."

Another example of eBay idiocy that turns off really good sellers.

There's a guy i know casually who was once a salesman of various electronic goods for a very large wholesale distributor. He eventually left that gig and went into business for himself selling new and used stuff from liquidated distributors and manufacturers.

He used to make some sales on ebay, but i noticed lately that his eBay store had been unpopulated for at least two years, and asked him about it. His response should be a wake-up call to everyone at eBay HQ. He said:

"Years ago, i had a boss that would get on my case when sales levels were bad, while being very short on praise when sales were good. Now eBay is dishing out the same sort of crap to people who sell there. If eBay wants me to work under that kind of boss again then they'll have to pay me a regular salary with good benefits."

This guy makes the rounds of all the swap meets and major hamfests across the country, and the income from this, as well as from people just phoning him to order stuff is much more than he would make hawking the stuff on eBay, even when accounting for gas and the wear and tear on his car.

Another example of a seller who did not put up with ebay's foolishness is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/techn ... ailer.html

$100 million / year and eBay didn't get a dime of it, all because of eBay's bullet-in-foot disease. Poetic justice.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 8:49 am 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
Quote:

That would be true, if people never died.

But they do, all the time. So, what happens to the radios then?

Maybe 10-15 years ago, i would see fairly huge estates of silent keys being auctioned one piece at a time on eBay, over a period of weeks or months.

Right, but times have changed. Have you noticed auctions now, where there are a number of consoles, table sets, or both, grouped together, as one lot? Obviously the liquidation of a probably deceased collector. I don't recall seeing this phenom back around the turn of the century.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 4:59 pm 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
What struck me was the sheer number of items available for bid back then compared to now....at that time, it had dropped by more than 75%. Since then it has continued to decline further. Clearly, there are a lot of people that ain't selling on eBay any more.

Interesting thread, guys, but the founding premise of it seems incorrect to me. Can you please be more specific about what, exactly, has dropped by 75%? And possibly provide some actual numbers, instead of just percentages?

I started looking at radios on eBay as a buyer only in late December, 2011. My most-typical search is to go to the Collectibles - Radio, Phonograph, TV, Phone - Radios - Tube Radios category and use the search term "-Photofact". When I started doing that 6 years ago, there were typically between 6800-7200 results returned.

I've been doing that same search consistently for 6 years, and I've never gotten less than 6000 results, and usually closer to 7000. It fluctuates a bit by week and time of year, but its been pretty steady for the last 6 years. I certainly haven't seen any 75% drop in number of items available. I just checked right now, and my search returned 8267 results, which, honestly, is the LARGEST number of items I remember seeing in the category.

So I'm confused by what you are claiming has decreased by 75%? To me it looks like there are more listings in the Tube Radio category right now than ever before.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 8:48 pm 

I must say that most buyers were fine to deal with eBay, but a few rotten apples spoiled the barrel for me. I could not deal with potential buyers wanting to end the auction early, demand for me top ship an item that was a LPO, and decide not pay their high bid on a LPO when they arrived! I was always the "at the end of the rainbow" buyer, as they say on American Pickers, who pays fairly for an item and treats the seller with respect, and I couldn't handle the forwardness and downright rudeness that's out there. I guess I have a thin skin, but my hats off to sellers that deal with this stuff on a regular basis.
I quickly went back to being exclusively a buyer, and back to enjoying the hobby again!

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 9:00 pm 

Well, I'm not sure about absolute numbers, but I can tell you that the age and type of sets, when browsing Transistor listings, has certainly changed.

I view the Collectibles, Transistor Radios, as well as the Consumer Electronics, Vintage Radios, sections. Ten to 16 years ago, there were plenty of both American and Japanese sets available, from the mid fifties to the mid sixties, including an ample helping of hybrid sets, and "pocket size" three and four tube radios as well. That's definitely changed, sadly.

Now, the plethora seems to focus on a later time period, with but a smattering of the earlier stuff.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 3:07 pm 

A co-worker of mine ran an online store for a number of years years selling parts for Volkswagon, Audi, and BMW. He closed up shop a year or two ago mainly because he got tired of being scammed. He told me that he claimed a loss of several thousand dollars during his last year in business due to eBay sales.

I remember one story where he sold a guy a transmission that was rather valuable as well as traceable with a serial number. The guy claimed that freight never delivered it, filed a claim against him, and won. All of this despite that someone signed for it when it was delivered. It was a complete loss for my co-worker. He later found the exact transmission listed on a online car forum for sale, by the same guy who claimed that he never received it. This seemed to be a common occurrence in the automotive world.

I used to sell occasional things on eBay like my old college textbooks, extra concert tickets, and things like that. The only bad experience for me was selling some tubes to a guy who decided that he wanted them for free. This was way back before eBay had rules in place about buyers making threats to sellers. Since then I have stuck to mainly selling radios and parts at swap meets or in a local antique shop.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 5:38 pm 

I'm getting old and packing gets to be a real pain.

"It's always darkest before it's pitch black"

PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 6:02 pm 

PAYPAL!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 2:58 am 

Seldom sell on EBay anymore, I use Craigslist which takes longer to sell an item but you get to meet the buyer. Most sales aren't in my home but outside. My buying is usually estate sales and weekly auction, works out fine.

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 4:02 am 

A A Kent wrote:
I'm getting old and packing gets to be a real pain.

I just photographed, packed and weighed 14 radios to sell

My back hurts and I am tired from standing.

http://www.myantiqueradio.com

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 2:39 pm 

Back around 2007-2008 when I stopped selling on ebay, all these horrible new policies were not yet adopted. My reason was due indirectly to the recession we had. In a cost cutting move the company I worked for let some people go and doubled my workload. Being a go-getter and a "company man" I took on the challenge and did well. But it was tiring and during my lunch break I now needed to relax instead of using that time to eat a sandwich while packing and shipping my radios. That coupled with the company dropping our automatic daily pickups from Fedex and UPS down to call when needed. So now its strictly swapfests for me. I retired about a year ago and now have all the time in the world but foolish or not, I have read too many facts and horror stories about ebay policies and it has scared me away from starting up on there again. Especially with my low profit sales. I'm in it mostly for the fun and sell radios when I get too many to display properly.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page 1, 2  Next