Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Does eBay allow this?
PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 7:09 pm 

A month or so ago I purchased two ink cartridges for my printer on eBay.

Today, I received an email purporting to be from eBay. In this email some other person-a potential buyer of the same item?-wanted to know what I thought about them.

There was even a box in the email where I could enter my response.

Is this a legitimate eBay service or a scam?

I deleted the email.

Joseph

Post subject: Re: Does eBay allow this?
PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 7:20 pm 

Joseph,

A couple of months ago I bought a tailgate ladder (extends & you can walk up it into the truck bed). I got an Ebay email from an Ebay user asking me what the weight limit was for the ladder. I started to delete it, but decided to click on the link, which did take me to Ebay (official website) and replied "Contact The Manufacturer." Honestly, it did kind of piss me off to get such an unsolicited email. There was a link at the bottom of the email that said if I didn't want to receive such messages, to click on the link to change my preferences. I did that and looked until my eyes got tired trying to find a way to opt out on such unsolicited emails. There was NOTHING to change and I looked for a while, I'd already opted out of every conceivable feature whereas I might get that type of unsolicited email. Next time, an email like that goes straight to trash!!!

David

K4DLM

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 10:51 pm 

I think I know what's going on here. A little while back, eBay moved the "Ask Seller A Question" link from bottom left to top right and renamed it "Contact Seller". At the same time, they replaced it with a "Questions and Answers" link that sends a message not only to the seller but to any other sellers selling what ebay thinks is the same item and also to anybody who has bought what ebay thinks is the same item.

Any replies go not only to the buyer, but also to the ebay catalog page for that item. Of course, ebay never bothered to tell buyers about the change.

So, the buyer thinks he's asking a specific seller a specific question, when in fact eBay is spamming that question to no end of people and there's no guarantee that any reply that the buyer sees will be reliable.

Worse, ebay does not include the buyers user ID in the message, so there's no way for the seller to tell him any of this.

Pretty nifty, right? ;)

PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 2:33 am 

Something doesn't jive here, I agree that the "Ask a Question" is no longer on the bottom left of the listing but I usually go into the sellers profile page and click "Contact Seller" from there. As far as I know it's a direct contact with seller.

Never had emails from others buyers.