Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Someone is selling my Missing radio!
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 11:32 pm 

Fifteen years or so ago I restored a Zenith 6S222 for a fellow in Washington state and shipped it USPS, it never arrived, I filed a claim with the post office and recieved payment for what I had it insured for. The customer understood and ask if I could find him one like it. Low and behold a few months later his restored radio showed up on EBAY. I do I know, I had Hank Brazzeal reconed the speaker using a red cone! I won the auction and used a different shipper this time and the owner was very happy in the end! I think maybe the shipping label was destroyed and the post office sold it at auction.

I did get my money and the customer got his radio, just took a little longer and a little paperwork!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 11:47 pm 

Dear 60 Minutes, ........ :)

Seriously, if John can connect the dots, time to shine more light on it. Great sweeps week piece!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 11:51 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
No, the buyer never got it.
It was so long ago I don't remember the outcome but I was severely angry so I know I lost on the deal.
I shipped to the eBay shipping center in KY and it was supposed to go to Europe.

If the below posts are true though, you did get to keep the buyer's payment, so how could you have lost?
Papa Kent wrote:
k9uwa wrote:

Once an item is received by the Ebay Globel Shipping Center the seller is off the hook for the item. And if Ebay determines that item can't be sent overseas then they refund the money to the buyer who of course is teed off because he doesn't get his item. Ebay now owns the item since they refunded the buyer his funds. It is part then of Ebays Seller Protection program so the Seller no longer owns the item. Ebay owns it.

John is 100% correct. I had just sold a tube to a buyer in Canada and it seems that shipping tubes are restricted from shipping out of the country ( which I have read here before) and E-bay kept the tube and told me that I would keep the money from the sale. Here is a copy of what they sent to me.

We are writing to inform you that your recent GSP transaction to vonvon514 cannot be completed.

The item was stopped at the Global Shipping Center, and has been restricted from international shipment. The item will not be shipped forward to its final destination.
No further action is needed at this time. We’ve let your buyer know why the item couldn’t be delivered.

Under the terms of the Global Shipping Program your buyer will be refunded automatically, and you are entitled to keep the proceeds from the transaction.

Kent.

k9uwa wrote:

It sure sounds crooked to me.

John k9uwa

What, the buyer gets refunded, the seller keeps what he was paid, and eBay owns the merchandise...What's crooked about it? Crooked is when someone loses...Who loses here? It seems to me, eBay, if anyone.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 12:01 am 

Nothing crooked at all, Those are the rules set up by Ebay on certain items, especially abroad shipments. Seller and buyer get their money and a done deal. Seems a ARF member is upset because his pictures were used.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:19 am 

Bid on a one of a kind item, win, pay, and it never shows up. You get your money back, but eBay goes on to possibly sell it for more than the claim..

Seems the buyer loses everytime - not in "paid" amount, but in "potential" amount, and time spent in the pursuit and subsequent claim. Remember that after the buyer paid, he/she owns the item, not the seller or eBay.

Sellers could lose "good will" - "gee, every item I buy from this guy goes missing....."

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:33 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Bid on a one of a kind item, win, pay, and it never shows up. You get your money back, but eBay goes on to possibly sell it for more than the claim..

Seems the buyer loses everytime - not in "paid" amount, but in "potential" amount, and time spent in the pursuit and subsequent claim. Remember that after the buyer paid, he/she owns the item, not the seller or eBay.

Sellers could lose "good will" - "gee, every item I buy from this guy goes missing....."

No reason why a domestic buyer would have his win shipped by the Global Shipping Program, so this would be limited to international buyers, and given that many sellers won't ship out of the country, the relative number here would be small indeed.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 3:50 am 

fifties wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:

No reason why a domestic buyer would have his win shipped by the Global Shipping Program, so this would be limited to international buyers, and given that many sellers won't ship out of the country, the relative number here would be small indeed.

....Which is why I don't sell on eBay - too many crooks in the system and the real money is in international sales, particularly to S. Korea and Taiwan. eBay berates sellers and lures them with "shipping discounts" to use the GSP, only to seize the buyers items with no clear explanation.

When I did sell, my Asian customers were the best. I regularly sold 200-300 dollars per sale to those customers. As soon as they received their order (shipped PMI, when it was cheaper), they ordered more. Mainly piece parts stuff, but good money in mostly bulk sales. Hard to keep that up with multiple packages seized (as Italy and Greece often did, again with no explanation..). France? High Tariffs, so I dropped them - too many complaints and negs about a tax I didn't assess nor collect, and clearly warned them about...

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 5:32 am 

Can someone please provide written documentation from an official source like US Post Office regulations, which state in black and white that vacuum tubes may not be shipped to foreign countries? I think this is all made up because 99.99% of vacuum tubes are not hazardous, only a very few contain mercury or other highly toxic substances. There is absolutely no legitimate, legal standing to banning all vacuum tubes. If that were the case, then they would be forcing people in those countries to turn in all vacuum tubes as hazardous material and destroy them.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 10:06 am 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
fifties wrote:

....Which is why I don't sell on eBay - too many crooks in the system and the real money is in international sales, particularly to S. Korea and Taiwan. eBay berates sellers and lures them with "shipping discounts" to use the GSP, only to seize the buyers items with no clear explanation.

Funny that this came up now. I just auctioned a Cell Phone to a Korean buyer, BUT, his shipping address is to a warehouse in New Jersey, from which I presume it will find it's way to Korea, outside the purview of Ebay's GSP. This isn't the first time, BTW, that I've sold to Oriental buyers, who have a ship-to address here in the U.S. Never a problem, either. I could sell them tubes, Marijuana, whatever, and eBay's nose ain't in it.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 12:44 pm 

Mr. Detrola wrote:
Can someone please provide written documentation from an official source like US Post Office regulations, which state in black and white that vacuum tubes may not be shipped to foreign countries? I think this is all made up because 99.99% of vacuum tubes are not hazardous, only a very few contain mercury or other highly toxic substances. There is absolutely no legitimate, legal standing to banning all vacuum tubes. If that were the case, then they would be forcing people in those countries to turn in all vacuum tubes as hazardous material and destroy them.

You'd probably have to drill thru the USPS regulations for each particular country. Occasionally you'll see prohibitions on used electronics, etc.

Visit my homebrew page
www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 1:18 pm 

Bill M wrote:
Mr. Detrola wrote:

You'd probably have to drill thru the USPS regulations for each particular country. Occasionally you'll see prohibitions on used electronics, etc.

(Emphasis added)

Yep, it's called the International Mailing Manual (IMM), and even it can not keep up with day-to-day adds and deletions.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 3:38 pm 

fifties wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:
fifties wrote:

Funny that this came up now. I just auctioned a Cell Phone to a Korean buyer, BUT, his shipping address is to a warehouse in New Jersey, from which I presume it will find it's way to Korea, outside the purview of Ebay's GSP. This isn't the first time, BTW, that I've sold to Oriental buyers, who have a ship-to address here in the U.S. Never a problem, either. I could sell them tubes, Marijuana, whatever, and eBay's nose ain't in it.

International buyers, especially West Coast, use storage containers as the US address. Then on to the Orient when full.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 3:59 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
hoffies2 wrote:
Nothing crooked at all, Those are the rules set up by Ebay on certain items, especially abroad shipments. Seller and buyer get their money and a done deal. Seems a ARF member is upset because his pictures were used.

After reading this whole thread a couple of times, I have come to pretty much the same conclusion.

Kirk sold a radio and got paid. Kirk isn't out any money.
A buyer didn't get what they bought, but they got a refund. The buyer is not out any money.

All I see is a disappointed buyer and a seller who's photos were used in another auction.

Disappointment is a fact of life. Who owns the photos once they're posted on eBay?

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 8:55 pm 

The exception is if you're a Millennial, you're not supposed to be disappointed nor offended. Ever.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 9:03 pm 

I unfortunately don't remember exactly but it had something to do with them refusing to refund the shipping to me.
My main point was that I could not understand how this all happened. If the radio was lost then how did this guy get it. Now it seems it was not lost but confiscated for containing mercury? The use of my pictures is all that is left to be angry about but it really doesn't bother me.
I guess the real anger is that I sold a radio to someone and they got screwed out of it. Plus the seller is asking more than I sond it for, lol..

:)

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 9:19 pm 

Coulda been worse, Kurt 'ol boy;
at least you got your bid price refunded, if not the entire amount, as I can't see eBay denying the shipping charge. That doesn't make cents, but whatever.
Be glad you didn't try sending it to Italy. I've been boned twice sending there, and then both losing the radios to their "customs" (what a sick joke) AND the payment from the buyers which eBay very handily refunded back to them. My net loss each time was the item, and the shipping cost.
Never a problem though, with Great Britain, Norway, Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, & Japan (I can't remember the rest, but a few more, one in South America).

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 9:54 pm 

Lessons to be learned from this "Barely Legal" crappola from Ebay. NEVER EVER use their Global Shipping Program. As to shipping tubes I have shipped a few thousand of them overseas including some of them were type 83 rectifier tubes. I never had any issues with shipping tubes. Like 50's once got hosed on an Italian deal. Won't ever happen again. Sorry to the Italians but you need to solve your postal issues. Under Italian law as soon as the buyer posts a receipt for a return shipment he is refunded his money instantly. Your package when received may well have a ROCK in it or some junk tubes that are totally worthless. Makes no difference your HOSED with no recourse.

As to this Ebay seller my guess is that when Ebay sold off their Ebay Enterprise business to Radial.com and bailed out of the big warehouse they had in Erlanger, KY that is when they had this big auction or however they got rid of all the stuff they had accumulated through their barely legal methods. And this seller bought a lot of it. Maybe Radial.com is continuing to do the same.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 9:59 pm 

As for pics, will Ebay let you use watermarks? If so, that's what I'll be doing.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 10:02 pm 

AuroraOldRadios wrote:
As for pics, will Ebay let you use watermarks? If so, that's what I'll be doing.

Yes you can watermark them but if you post them to an Ebay auction using THEIR Picture posting setup then they OWN the pictures from that point onward. It is in their TOS. Terms of Service.
John k9uwa

PostPosted: Dec Fri 15, 2017 12:00 am 

I spoke to a guy in Italy today, and he's purchased from the US through eBay Global Shipping program and only 2 out of 5 deals made it to Italy.

He mentioned that vacuum tubes are treated as if they are Mercury Vapor tubes, and apparently cause for pressure concern by air travel so they are often stopped in KY before being shipped.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 66 posts ]  Moderator: Lou deGonzague Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next