Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 5:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I know I wasted my time but if it saves...
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 1:05 am 

I haven't bought any vintage stuff on eBay in a while. A Simpson Genoscope and PACO S55 showed up a bit ago, same seller, and even though I didn't need another project, much less two, I bid and won. They arrived today. This is the note I wrote to the seller:

Quote:
If you're going to be in the business of reselling large, heavy vintage test gear you need to do a search on YouTube and learn how to pack heavy items. Wrapping an oscilloscope or Genoscope up in bubble wrap and tossing it into a box of peanuts is not the correct way to pack heavy items. Doing so is not much better than throwing your household garbage in the box. The Genoscope made it relatively unscathed but I was shocked to see how poorly it was packed. On top of the poor packing job you put the mirror in a box and tossed it into the same box as the Genoscope? That makes no sense. The PACO S-55 didn't fare as well. The foam you put on the face protected it. The bubble wrap collapsed and was worthless. The CRT came loose inside the case, flopped around, and bent three tubes over and out of their sockets. The tubes may or may not be ok. I won't know until I straighten the pins and test them. When you pack an item you are packing someone else's equipment. Try to keep that in mind

NE5U

Mike

Post subject: Re: I know I wasted my time but if it saves...
PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 1:16 am 

I feel for ya. I received an open case amp and he wrapped it so tight with bubble wrap that he broke the tubes!!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 1:21 am 

I'm shocked. The seller was genuinely sorry and admitted the he/she didn't know how to pack heavy items because he/she didn't normally deal in heavy, vintage test gear. They said they would search YouTube for "how to pack heavy items" videos and try to learn how to protect their customer in the future. I'm good with that. Neither item suffered external damage. Another day in transit and that wouldn't have been the case. Luck counts

NE5U

Mike

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 3:16 am 

I once replied to eBay's request ("What do you think") and told them that their instructions to "wrap item securely in bubble wrap and close box with packing tape" was grossly inadequate. They never got back with me; shocker. I had suggested they provide a video, possibly commissioned by any of the major carriers, with step-by-step instructions on properly packaging fragile or heavy items. Nothing yet.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 3:22 am 

I ALWAYS send a note to the seller asking them to be extra careful and give them ideas of how it needs to be packed to survive. ( double boxing and lots of packing peanuts as well as bubble wrap.)
Many will take that well... others don't and get huffy.

The best thing maybe, is to tell them in advance.:
" Remember... if it does not survive the trip you will be getting it back" .. "and paying shipping, but for sure Ebay will refund my money."

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 3:27 am 

I pack stuff the DoD way - plenty of bubble wrap, and wrap until you can't discern corners.

True story - while deployed on the USS Forrestal in the North Indian Ocean in the summer of 1988, we ran out of bubble wrap. Eight days later, and after a lot of creativity in recycling bubble wrap (used to protect aircraft components - R/Ts, Displays, Computers, you name it), we got more. How? Two CH-53 Helicopters flew 300 miles out to the ship from BIOT/Diego Garcia with three rolls of bubble wrap each. Each landed, rolled out the rolls of bubble wrap, and departed, no other cargo or action. Someone in the Supply department figured out the "true" cost (fuel, flight hours, etc) for the 6 rolls, at $450/sq foot. :shock: A week later, we got 12 pallets of bubble wrap via ship replenishment, at a much more economical price, I'm sure. These days, each ship MAKES bubble wrap........ 8)

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 5:51 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
I had suggested they provide a video, possibly commissioned by any of the major carriers, with step-by-step instructions on properly packaging fragile or heavy items.

Hmmm, I wonder how that would turn out?

I remember going to my local FedEx one day, and seeing one of the employees packing a box for a customer. It was a desktop computer, and the employee had chosen a box much to small to ship it safely. In the bottom, he placed some wads of packing paper. When he set the computer into the box, the top of the case was even with the top of the box. He then balled a bunch more sheets of paper up and threw them on top of the computer. Then he leaned on the whole thing with his left arm, while bending the box flaps over with his right hand. When he got the flaps kinda closed, he pinned it all together with his weight and ran a bunch of tape all around it. The box flaps weren't just bulging, they were almost hemispheric.

I felt sorry for the customer, because there was no way that computer--packed and shipped by FedEx--was getting to its destination unscathed. In fact, I'd be surprised if it wasn't broken just in the packing process.

And with our luck... That would be the guy FedEx would assign to make the video for eBay. :roll: