Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Mon 18, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I guess eBay is all about timing sometimes
PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:07 am 

I had a radio part at $49.99 for a week and no sale. This week I lowered it to $44.99 and it now has 3 bids and it's up to $55.00. So last week no one wanted it and this week 2 people do. So with an eBay store you can have a stiff price and wait it out. But I don't know anything about having a store. There must be a down side.

Post subject: Re: I guess eBay is all about timing sometimes
PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:19 am 

It is all about timing; the problem is, a seller never knows when that sweet time is.

I've had some of the same experiences you are going through, with periods when no one is interested, and later several are bidding against each other.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:18 pm 

Yep, list a hot item for $80 where 5 sold in the last week for $100, only to sit on it for months. You finally sell, and the buyer wants even more of them......... :? Fickle eBay I used to say.

I've also seen items that regularly sell for pennies suddenly spike - nixie tube equipped stuff for example. In 1999, couldn't sell them, so I shelved them. In 2003, I got 7X what I had them listed for before. One heathkit nixie DMM unit sold for over $300 - a $5 thrift store find that couldn't compete with my Fluke.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 3:07 pm 

I just listed 87 radios and record player last night. Some were listed last month for the same price but zero interest. Now I have a bunch of offers. I always list for 30 days BIN OBO. 7 days is not enough for people looking for that exact radio. Not everyone searches eBay daily or even weekly.

A few years ago I had a Disney item for sale at $150.00 starting. unsold. 2 months later.... $370 something dollars.

eBay has been a drag lately though... Slow slow slow...

:)

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 6:21 pm 

Depends what your selling and its desireability. This is always the best time if I sell anything, income tax returns, $$$$.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 7:37 pm 

I was selling some stuff for my dad, and one of the items was a NOS Die cast Komatsu Excavator in original box. I thought I was selling it for way too much at $65, and was shocked that it sold within 10 minutes of listing. The guy who bought it wanted it because he used one in his job he retired from. The guy contacted me and wanted to know if I had specific other items (I did not) he indicated he would have paid as much as $260 for it.

So thinking I had some hot commodities in NOS die cast construction equipment (my dad had a lot of it) I put it on ebay. I couldn't sell any more of it at any price.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 9:52 pm 

hoffies2 wrote:
Depends what your selling and its desireability. This is always the best time if I sell anything, income tax returns, $$$$.

Actually I think the cold weather months, October to April, are probably the best seller months. Ever notice how eBay sends out multiple listing promotions in August, the hottest temperature month of the year?