Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Nov Mon 19, 2018 8:41 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 53  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 6:10 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
I dont think the hammered copper is suppose to look real shinny. You might like the polished copper better.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:37 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23352
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
Now.... THIS has some beauty!!!

Image

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:51 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
Now.... THIS has some beauty!!!

Image




I hear ya. Look at all those vent holes.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 8:05 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23352
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
You have not yet told me what gets hot under the chassis that requires cooling.

I have 3 amps I built and one ASL 30watt amp I bought
and none have ANYTHING under the chassis that gets even seriously warm.
Maybe a bit hot ... but certainly not requiring venting.

So whatcha got under there in that 807 amp that's soooo hot?

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 9:40 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
You have not yet told me what gets hot under the chassis that requires cooling.

I have 3 amps I built and one ASL 30watt amp I bought
and none have ANYTHING under the chassis that gets even seriously warm.
Maybe a bit hot ... but certainly not requiring venting.

So whatcha got under there in that 807 amp that's soooo hot?



You and I have a difference of opinion of hot. I can think a resistor is scorching hot, but you say you can hold it in your hand, just warm.
Not only will the draft cool anything inside the chassis, but the draft up the sides of the tube will actually move the hot air away from the tube. I like the idea of that.
Probably not a dire requirement.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 9:55 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23352
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
Me thinks that some folk thinks holes around tube bases look cool... and that's about it... Right?
Like VuMeters not used as Vumeters.
And large filter cap cans on the top.
I get it.
... enjoy :-)

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 2:02 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
Me thinks that some folk thinks holes around tube bases look cool... and that's about it... Right?
Like VuMeters not used as Vumeters.
And large filter cap cans on the top.
I get it.
... enjoy :-)


You know me Peter. I desire an old vintage look over a pretty and shiny look.
I agree, looks cool fits.
Do you like the polished copper better?

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 4:06 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23352
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Me thinks that some folk thinks holes around tube bases look cool... and that's about it... Right?
Like VuMeters not used as Vumeters.
And large filter cap cans on the top.
I get it.
... enjoy :-)


You know me Peter. I desire an old vintage look over a pretty and shiny look.
I agree, looks cool fits.
Do you like the polished copper better?

Paint? No
Actual polished copper? Yes.

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 5:03 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Me thinks that some folk thinks holes around tube bases look cool... and that's about it... Right?
Like VuMeters not used as Vumeters.
And large filter cap cans on the top.
I get it.
... enjoy :-)


You know me Peter. I desire an old vintage look over a pretty and shiny look.
I agree, looks cool fits.
Do you like the polished copper better?

Paint? No
Actual polished copper? Yes.



You mean copper or brass?

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 6:45 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23352
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:


You mean copper or brass?

Copper like this amp... but brass shines nice too.
Image

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 7:18 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:


You mean copper or brass?

Copper like this amp... but brass shines nice too.
Image



Do you like the hugh bolts and nuts?

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 3:37 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23352
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
Yes... a very unusual yet nice looking bit of dressing which complements the industrial look of that heavy Guage copper plate.

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 6:52 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
Yes... a very unusual yet nice looking bit of dressing which complements the industrial look of that heavy Guage copper plate.



Do you like the power switch in the back, and the useless meters?
I dont like the big bolts and nuts. Dont care for the fake shine on the chassis :P

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 9:56 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23352
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Yes... a very unusual yet nice looking bit of dressing which complements the industrial look of that heavy Guage copper plate.



Do you like the power switch in the back, and the useless meters?
I dont like the big bolts and nuts. Dont care for the fake shine on the chassis :P

Big nuts are no good for you?

So to each his own.
As your wifey suggested ...try gluing little plastic Disney characters on it. :mrgreen:

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 2:25 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
Yes... a very unusual yet nice looking bit of dressing which complements the industrial look of that heavy Guage copper plate.



Do you like the power switch in the back, and the useless meters?
I dont like the big bolts and nuts. Dont care for the fake shine on the chassis :P

Big nuts are no good for you?

So to each his own.
As your wifey suggested ...try gluing little plastic Disney characters on it. :mrgreen:



Just what I thought. You were talking to my wife again :lol:

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 2:30 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Not looking so bad, me thinks,
Attachment:
20180713_162200.jpg
20180713_162200.jpg [ 124.06 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

Attachment:
20180713_162727.jpg
20180713_162727.jpg [ 111.68 KiB | Viewed 274 times ]

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 2:40 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Sat 26, 2011 4:09 am
Posts: 9153
Location: Texas. USA
john8750 wrote:
Not looking so bad, me thinks,
Attachment:
20180713_162200.jpg

Attachment:
20180713_162727.jpg
Looks super.

I noticed the meter switch in the middle. Is that the right one or just a place holder. It doesn't look like it has enough poles. You need 4 poles to switch both ends of the meter.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 3:53 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Not looking so bad, me thinks,
Attachment:
20180713_162200.jpg

Attachment:
20180713_162727.jpg
Looks super.

I noticed the meter switch in the middle. Is that the right one or just a place holder. It doesn't look like it has enough poles. You need 4 poles to switch both ends of the meter.



I knew it Flip. You noticed it right away. I grabbed the wrong rotary switch. Noticed it after making the photo. Of course the correct switch is a 3 position 4 place switch. I have it, just put the wrong one in.

See where I have to patch the oversized holes for the meters.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 3:56 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4952
Location: Los Angeles
If I had enough room left on the chassis, I would make some large tubes stuffed with the PS filter capacitors.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 807 Williamson amp
PostPosted: Jul Sat 14, 2018 4:36 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Sat 26, 2011 4:09 am
Posts: 9153
Location: Texas. USA
john8750 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Not looking so bad, me thinks...
Looks super.

I noticed the meter switch in the middle. Is that the right one or just a place holder. It doesn't look like it has enough poles. You need 4 poles to switch both ends of the meter.

I knew it Flip. You noticed it right away. I grabbed the wrong rotary switch. Noticed it after making the photo. Of course the correct switch is a 3 position 4 place switch. I have it, just put the wrong one in.

See where I have to patch the oversized holes for the meters.
Sorry 'bout that. I'll endeavor to be less observant from now on. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 53  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 35Z5 and 5 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB