Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Mon 21, 2017 1:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 75  Next
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 3:00 am 

john8750 wrote:
OK, lets try this one. Don't know if it used a tube rectifier. But a nice looking unit for $24.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162343718159?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
That's the Mallory I usually see, 2 tubes and 525mA heater power. It doesn't have a tube rectifier (has a selenium rectifier that doesn't require heater current).

Looks like someone substituted whatever knobs they had because those don't look like the ones that come with the Mallory.

That's a good price.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 3:24 am 

john8750 wrote:
Guess what. The Mallory deal that I won and paid for was cancelled. How can that happen. The deal was done and finished. I cant believe that is legal business on ebay. :evil:
I had that happen to me, TWICE from the same seller. Not only that but it was a buy it now, not a 'winning bid'.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 4:01 am 

john8750 wrote:
Heck ya. Remember the amp Dr. Brown built with the 6 foot speaker? Must of used those tubes. Till Marty hit a chord and blew it up.
If you need another recommendation for tube amplifiers, just remember, they're the preferred choice, along with vinyl records, of James T. Kirk in the 23 Century. :mrgreen:

Attachment:
Kirk Amp.jpg
Kirk Amp.jpg [ 75.76 KiB | Viewed 468 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:09 am 

john8750 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Men
I need to know about the shielding of inputs. One shielded cable for both channels, or separate?
I do separate.

Thanks Flip. I will also separate, and shield only at the input jack common.

Another dumb question.
The cable has two conductors. What do you do with the other conductor? If anything.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:18 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Guess what. The Mallory deal that I won and paid for was cancelled. How can that happen. The deal was done and finished. I cant believe that is legal business on ebay. :evil:
I had that happen to me, TWICE from the same seller. Not only that but it was a buy it now, not a 'winning bid'.

She contacted me and offered an explanation. She was locked out of her storage unit for a month, so thought it best to just cancel. I responded telling her that I still want the unit. She promised to sell it to me at a less price when she can get it. So, will see how that works.
The Mallory I just won says 25watts total.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:20 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Heck ya. Remember the amp Dr. Brown built with the 6 foot speaker? Must of used those tubes. Till Marty hit a chord and blew it up.
If you need another recommendation for tube amplifiers, just remember, they're the preferred choice, along with vinyl records, of James T. Kirk in the 23 Century. :mrgreen:

Attachment:
Kirk Amp.jpg

Flip, please find the schematic for that amp. I might be interested in building one. :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 8:00 am 

john8750 wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
I do separate.
Thanks Flip. I will also separate, and shield only at the input jack common.
Another dumb question.
The cable has two conductors. What do you do with the other conductor? If anything.
Plus and minus. The shield is a separate ground.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 8:25 am 

john8750 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
She contacted me and offered an explanation. She was locked out of her storage unit for a month, so thought it best to just cancel. I responded telling her that I still want the unit. She promised to sell it to me at a less price when she can get it. So, will see how that works.
The Mallory I just won says 25watts total.
Sounds like it was "just one of those things."

25 Watt sound a little high. Maybe they were including heater inrush current so as to not trip a breaker.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 8:33 am 

john8750 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

Attachment:
Kirk Amp.jpg
Flip, please find the schematic for that amp. I might be interested in building one. :wink:
Leave it to Kirk to get a little carried away with the tube count :wink:

Speaking of which, tubes aren't very power efficient but, circuit wise, they are. I mean, how many transistors do you suppose a 25 Watt Hi-Fi amp would take? 6? Because that's the tube count (even counting the dual triodes as 2). I doubt you'd even get out of the preamp stage with just 6 transistors.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:24 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

Attachment:
Kirk Amp.jpg
Leave it to Kirk to get a little carried away with the tube count :wink:

Speaking of which, tubes aren't very power efficient but, circuit wise, they are. I mean, how many transistors do you suppose a 25 Watt Hi-Fi amp would take? 6? Because that's the tube count (even counting the dual triodes as 2). I doubt you'd even get out of the preamp stage with just 6 transistors.

True. My 100watt stereo transistor amp uses 9 per channel, or 18. And that is for the power amp only.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:28 pm 

25 Watt sound a little high. Maybe they were including heater inrush current so as to not trip a breaker.[/quote]

Are you sure it does not use a tube rectifier :?:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:34 pm 

The inputs terminate at the selector switch. Should I also terminate the minus conductors' there, keeping the left and right channel separate?
Or can the channels minus just be a common at the input jacks? Help, I'm getting lost :lol:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:35 pm 

Peter.
Looking at your beautiful work. Man, I cant believe the work you do. You are above the professor level. I put you in the Maniac category :lol:

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 7:37 pm 

Parts for my transmitter are on the way. Right after the amp is finished.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 8:16 pm 

john8750 wrote:
Peter.
Looking at your beautiful work. Man, I cant believe the work you do. You are above the professor level. I put you in the Maniac category :lol:

Thank you Sir.

ppl here will wonder what you refer to.
John was indicating that he wants to build an AM transmitter and also an AM receiver. I suggested ... esp since this whole site is about antique radio restoration, that he consider not building one from scratch but rather find a beautiful one from the 30s-40s and then rebuild/restore it.
So I forwarded a few pages of radios I've restored to give him a sense of it all.
So.. he's referring to the images of some of the radios I have restored like this Clarion. (I cannot take credit for the paint work .. that was done by my late friend Ken Mittzko, an auto & cycle painter/artist)

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 1:52 am 

john8750 wrote:
Are you sure it does not use a tube rectifier :?:
Positive.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 2:35 am 

john8750 wrote:

The inputs terminate at the selector switch. Should I also terminate the minus conductors' there, keeping the left and right channel separate?
Or can the channels minus just be a common at the input jacks? Help, I'm getting lost :lol:
I don't think it makes much difference if left and right are 'separate' but, yes, I'd keep the minus wire even if they're connected to earth at the input jacks. For one, it makes things easier in case earth needs to be revised to somewhere else but the main reason is following the current flow, which is plus to minus, not through the shield. Then the earthed shield is leakage current to the AC power mains.

It may seem like "minus is minus" but the current paths are different and the object is to keep them separated.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 8:14 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:

I don't think it makes much difference if left and right are 'separate' but, yes, I'd keep the minus wire even if they're connected to earth at the input jacks. For one, it makes things easier in case earth needs to be revised to somewhere else but the main reason is following the current flow, which is plus to minus, not through the shield. Then the earthed shield is leakage current to the AC power mains.

It may seem like "minus is minus" but the current paths are different and the object is to keep them separated.

I see. At some point the minus's will need to become a common, and then B-. I will keep them separate, except the phono input. Those inputs go straight to the preamp right there with a capacitor, no shield. Or should I do it different?
And the shield will connect to the minus/ground at the inputs. I am a little confused and will screw it up somehow.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 8:32 pm 

Your very welcome Peter. You certainly deserve it. Some marvelous work there. Please explain the procedure. Like, where do you start :?: :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 8:37 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
OK, lets try this one. Don't know if it used a tube rectifier. But a nice looking unit for $24.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/162343718159?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
That's the Mallory I usually see, 2 tubes and 525mA heater power. It doesn't have a tube rectifier (has a selenium rectifier that doesn't require heater current).

Looks like someone substituted whatever knobs they had because those don't look like the ones that come with the Mallory.

That's a good price.

Wait a minute. I must have the correct knobs. Now what?
Looks like I will get the other Mallory after all. She contacted me with an explanation.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 75  Next