Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Aug Sun 19, 2018 10:27 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 75  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 11:18 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:
Was looking at this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252690641901?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
I think it is AM and another band. Has 6 tubes and a selenium stack. Could the face glass be replaced/repaired? It is only $42.50 shipped to my house. I also like the RCA, although looks like a crack in the plastic case on the top. But that face for the dial indicator is gorges. That would sell it in my opinion.

This is a Detrola... but there is no model number listed that I can see.

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 11:23 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Sat 26, 2011 4:09 am
Posts: 8952
Location: Texas. USA
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
you frustrate me when you don't answer the other questions too... lol
But where did you find the other radio was 6 tube, w/selenium stack?
Which radio?



Again, I don't know what you are talking about. Go here and you will find the model number. Detrola 343.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 004015.pdf
Im not sure that is the correct schematic yet. It shows two different schematics.
The number on the set says 343, 9259. I believe the No. 9259 is a serial No.

But that was not the link before. The other link was to the ebay picture of the Detronla radio... but no model number.

This lick is only a schematic... which is the picture on Ebay for this?
The model number can be read in the third Ebay pic (and that's where the 9259 comes from as well).

Attachment:
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg [ 110.95 KiB | Viewed 1181 times ]


Attachment:
Model.jpg
Model.jpg [ 49.41 KiB | Viewed 1181 times ]


Then, armed with the model number, he looked it up on nostalgiaair.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Fri 13, 2017 12:24 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
Yes.. thanks... he called... we got it now... lol

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 12:20 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Back at the caboose and back to work on the preamp. Just installing the connections to the selector switch, and going on with the construction of the tone controls.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 2:46 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
You may use up the wordl's supply of solder.

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 5:41 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
You may use up the wordl's supply of solder.




You aint kiddin Peter. I'm getting there. A lot of stuff because the schematic is times 2, left and right channel.
So I take breaks and keep the fun in it. Looks like I installed exactly enough tie points. None are left open. About thirty of em.
I want to tell ya, it will be a big miracle if this amps works on first power up. There are a lot of connections.
But it is a great project. I want to get it in one piece before moving home on the 23rd.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 5:43 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Hey, I won the bid on a RCA radio. Check it out. Now I have projects lining up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1946-RCA-Vi ... 7675.l2557

Whats the chance that the tubes are good?

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:19 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:
Hey, I won the bid on a RCA radio. Check it out. Now I have projects lining up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1946-RCA-Vi ... 7675.l2557

Whats the chance that the tubes are good?

That one says it has a crack in the case. Did you see that?
....but other than that it looks like a good one for you to start with!

I thought you were interested in that other white RCA 45x12 ?

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:27 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
You may use up the wordl's supply of solder.




You aint kiddin Peter. I'm getting there. A lot of stuff because the schematic is times 2, left and right channel.
So I take breaks and keep the fun in it. Looks like I installed exactly enough tie points. None are left open. About thirty of em.
I want to tell ya, it will be a big miracle if this amps works on first power up. There are a lot of connections.
But it is a great project. I want to get it in one piece before moving home on the 23rd.

Moving back home permanently? No more caboose?

btw.. when you solder the left & right channels.. do you use the iron in your left & right hand per channel?

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:30 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Hey, I won the bid on a RCA radio. Check it out. Now I have projects lining up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1946-RCA-Vi ... 7675.l2557

Whats the chance that the tubes are good?

That one says it has a crack in the case. Did you see that?
....but other than that it looks like a good one for you to start with!

I thought you were interested in that other white RCA 45x12 ?



I did like it, but did not want to pay $65. This one cost $36. The crack is not bad and I like the dial on it. Here is the schematic. A very small power supply. Looks like it has two filter caps, a resistor and part of the output transformer.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 015065.pdf

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:35 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
You may use up the wordl's supply of solder.




You aint kiddin Peter. I'm getting there. A lot of stuff because the schematic is times 2, left and right channel.
So I take breaks and keep the fun in it. Looks like I installed exactly enough tie points. None are left open. About thirty of em.
I want to tell ya, it will be a big miracle if this amps works on first power up. There are a lot of connections.
But it is a great project. I want to get it in one piece before moving home on the 23rd.

Moving back home permanently? No more caboose?

btw.. when you solder the left & right channels.. do you use the iron in your left & right hand per channel?




Yes, moving home and no more caboose. Although I will still involved in the club, BOD, and stuff.
Sorry Peter, I can only use my right hand for that. But, I do close the other eye and lean in that direction. That's called applying some "English" :lol:

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 6:43 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Hey, I won the bid on a RCA radio. Check it out. Now I have projects lining up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1946-RCA-Vi ... 7675.l2557

Whats the chance that the tubes are good?

That one says it has a crack in the case. Did you see that?
....but other than that it looks like a good one for you to start with!

I thought you were interested in that other white RCA 45x12 ?



I did like it, but did not want to pay $65. This one cost $36. The crack is not bad and I like the dial on it. Here is the schematic. A very small power supply. Looks like it has two filter caps, a resistor and part of the output transformer.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 015065.pdf

I get it.. sure price is right .. nice radio.

The power supply is very typical for AA5 radios.
In this case the B+ forms a pi-filter as it goes to the 1st filter cap then on to the output transformer tap and then through a hum-bucking winding and a 1200 ohm resistor and then the 2nd filter cap.

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 7:05 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
I think the price was good for the looks, and for my first attempt.
I see about the power supply. I was fooled by the two caps sitting next to each other. Where is the hum bucking winding? Part of the OT?
I will need to find a store with a tube tester to check the tubes.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sat 14, 2017 7:09 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
john8750 wrote:
I think the price was good for the looks, and for my first attempt.
I see about the power supply. I was fooled by the two caps sitting next to each other. Where is the hum bucking winding? Part of the OT?
I will need to find a store with a tube tester to check the tubes.

Yes.. it is that 9 ohm winding section.

Tube checker in the drug store? ... lol ... yeah.. good luck

Tubes are your least worry. If the filaments light... most likely they will be fine.
The best test for any tube is the radio it comes from. If it works in the radio.. it doesn't matter what a tube tester indicates.

However the 35z5 rectifier tube has a 2 section filament w/a 6v tap for the dial lamp. That can burn out if you try to run the radio w/o the #51 dial lamp.
Then the tap section can blow and the whole filament series may become open. So if the dial lamp is out, tet the set is playing.. quickly replace the lamp. to save the 35z5 filament tap.

Ref:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/fun ... AA5-1.html

Ref:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip40.htm

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 2:53 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
john8750 wrote:
I think the price was good for the looks, and for my first attempt.
I see about the power supply. I was fooled by the two caps sitting next to each other. Where is the hum bucking winding? Part of the OT?
I will need to find a store with a tube tester to check the tubes.

Yes.. it is that 9 ohm winding section.

Tube checker in the drug store? ... lol ... yeah.. good luck

Tubes are your least worry. If the filaments light... most likely they will be fine.
The best test for any tube is the radio it comes from. If it works in the radio.. it doesn't matter what a tube tester indicates.

However the 35z5 rectifier tube has a 2 section filament w/a 6v tap for the dial lamp. That can burn out if you try to run the radio w/o the #51 dial lamp.
Then the tap section can blow and the whole filament series may become open. So if the dial lamp is out, tet the set is playing.. quickly replace the lamp. to save the 35z5 filament tap.

Ref:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/fun ... AA5-1.html

Ref:
http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip40.htm



Thanks for the info Peter. I will read that reference as we go. I remember reading that in the AA5 info you referred me to.
Right now I am finishing the preamp. Should be within tonights work.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 4:43 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Shes wired.
Before
Attachment:
LP5.jpg
LP5.jpg [ 189.25 KiB | Viewed 1138 times ]

After
Attachment:
LP8.jpg
LP8.jpg [ 245.4 KiB | Viewed 1138 times ]

Attachment:
LP9.jpg
LP9.jpg [ 157.23 KiB | Viewed 1138 times ]

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 4:49 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23017
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
Looks nice John.
I see you marked the chassis baffle with "L" & "R"
.... so I guess that's directional instructions for the mixed up electrons to follow in the dark?

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 5:11 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Nov Sat 26, 2011 4:09 am
Posts: 8952
Location: Texas. USA
john8750 wrote:
Shes wired.
Before
After
For all the jokes about it looking like a bomb exploded I think she's neat and gorgeous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 5:14 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Pbpix wrote:
Looks nice John.
I see you marked the chassis baffle with "L" & "R"
.... so I guess that's directional instructions for the mixed up electrons to follow in the dark?




"Looks nice" Compared to your work, no. I am proud of it though and sure it will perform as good as the power amp.
That L/R was put there for the name of a song I wanted to remember. But I cant remember what it stands for now.
So, I have all the commons connected to the star right at the B-. Where should I connect it to the chassis? If anywhere.

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Jan Sun 15, 2017 5:16 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Dec Mon 29, 2014 9:39 pm
Posts: 4754
Location: Los Angeles
Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
Shes wired.
Before
After
For all the jokes about it looking like a bomb exploded I think she's neat and gorgeous.



Thanks Flip. I love it.
Now, where do we connect the common to the chassis?

_________________
John Smith, over and out.
If I did something right, I made a mistake.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71 ... 75  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB