Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 24, 2018 12:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75
 Post subject: Re: PRINCELY PAUPER
PostPosted: Feb Mon 06, 2017 3:37 am 

Yep, that's what was soaked in oil. Just cleaned it off, and now works good. The 1019 is a good unit. It just needs some TLC, and I have lots of that. :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 06, 2017 3:39 am 

Flip
I just posted on the transmitter page. If you could, check it out, I have a problem.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=132867&p=2638551#p2638551

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 4:47 am 

Got my shop all set up. I did some work on an old Zenith Console. It will stay in the shop and be used for music. Source is ipod. First I connected my 6V6 amp into the unit. Awful. The music was flat with no body to it. So I swapped it out with the Prince John. Now that's more like it. I mean to tell you" outstanding" Those old Zenith speakers can really deliver. But what could be the difference now. They use to be very close sounding. Haven't checked yet, but now realize that the tone control amp I installed must have a problem. I'll find it and repair. My 5902 amp will power the Zenith and will need a tone control also. I might even install an additional amp stage just for the ipod/mp3.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 5:35 am 

john8750 wrote:
Got my shop all set up. I did some work on an old Zenith Console. It will stay in the shop and be used for music. Source is ipod. First I connected my 6V6 amp into the unit. Awful. The music was flat with no body to it. So I swapped it out with the Prince John. Now that's more like it. I mean to tell you" outstanding" Those old Zenith speakers can really deliver. But what could be the difference now. They use to be very close sounding. Haven't checked yet, but now realize that the tone control amp I installed must have a problem. I'll find it and repair. My 5902 amp will power the Zenith and will need a tone control also. I might even install an additional amp stage just for the ipod/mp3.
I can't quite tell how you connected it in but if it was anything that uses tubes then that's the problem because your 6V6 amp won't work with tubes. It's input impedance is only around 550 Ohm and that's more than two orders of magnitude too low. The 6V6 amp is overloading the console's tube stages.

Prince John has an input impedance of 250k, which is compatible with tube outputs (the output section of your Zenith console). The Little John preamp has an input impedance of around 180k, again compatible.

Btw, the RIAA section of the Little John preamp won't (satisfactorily) work with the 6V6 amp either. While it was designed to work with impedances as low as the 'solid state' line standard of 10k (minimum) that's still 20 times the input impedance of your 6V6 amp.

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 6:27 am 

Flipperhome wrote:
john8750 wrote:
I can't quite tell how you connected it in but if it was anything that uses tubes then that's the problem because your 6V6 amp won't work with tubes. It's input impedance is only around 550 Ohm and that's more than two orders of magnitude too low. The 6V6 amp is overloading the console's tube stages.

Prince John has an input impedance of 250k, which is compatible with tube outputs (the output section of your Zenith console). The Little John preamp has an input impedance of around 180k, again compatible.

Btw, the RIAA section of the Little John preamp won't (satisfactorily) work with the 6V6 amp either. While it was designed to work with impedances as low as the 'solid state' line standard of 10k (minimum) that's still 20 times the input impedance of your 6V6 amp.

Thanks Flip.
I did not mix the two systems. Sorry about the mix-up. The Little Prince/Prince John works as one unit. And with that old Zenith from the 60's it is exceptional. That combo don't miss a beat. And the tone stack works perfectly, better than the one I built for the 6V6. I love my Harmon Karden :lol: :!:

PostPosted: Feb Mon 20, 2017 10:27 am 

john8750 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

Thanks Flip.
I did not mix the two systems. Sorry about the mix-up. The Little Prince/Prince John works as one unit. And with that old Zenith from the 60's it is exceptional. That combo don't miss a beat. And the tone stack works perfectly, better than the one I built for the 6V6. I love my Harmon Karden :lol: :!:
I see. What did you do then? Just using the Zenith speakers?

PostPosted: Jul Mon 10, 2017 3:05 am 

Flip, sorry for the long delay.
The Zenith had some not so good speakers. I replaced them and they are acceptable for in my hobby shop. Not bad.
And, I now have my sound system all set up in the house, living room. The Prince John and Little prince are on a shelf right above the Dual 1019. I also have an input for my PC, and MP3. I added a small 2 tube preamp to the MP3 input, a great improvement on the input level. It is a kit from ebay for about 10 bucks. Two 6J1 tubes. B+ is like 24volts.
I have a pair of Genesis's speakers, 8" two way, with passive radiator.
Very impressed with the sound. My wife and I go back to the 60,s with our music, and are both thrilled with our system.
So My amp uses a total of 14 tubes. And the RIAA amp works perfectly also.
I went back into the power amp and got rid of all but the slightest hum. That's in the head phones only, and don't believe it could get any less.
Thanks again Flip. I need to build another amp, will let you know.....

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 1487 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75