Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 6:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Doctor's office radio
PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 11:43 pm 

It seems that whenever I have to go to see the GP, Cardiologist, Urologist, Periodontist, Dentist, imaging lab, etc., first I sit and wait in the waiting room, then after being ushered into a cubicle, sit and wait some more. Of course I always forget to bring my reading glasses in order to look at their magazines, so the passing time seems like forever. Finally getting an AM station that plays oldies in the L.A. area this year, however, gave me an incentive.
I bought a Windsor "micro radio" on eBay for the princely sum of three bucks, and proceeded to modify it for my needs, which were private listening, and easily fitting in my shirt pocket.

I had to replace the volume control, and replace and re-locate the tuning capacitor, from alongside the VC, to the area on the PCB where the speaker magnet usually fits. Of course along with replacing the Electrolytic caps, and doing RF/IF alignments. One beauty of this circuit is that it only needs 1.5 volts to operate, so I'm employing a single AAA battery, in a modified holder. Actually, many things had to be shortened, including the PCB, flattening solder landings and removing the antenna coil plastic keepers.

It seemed like the only seller in the world who had a plastic case with the dimensions I needed was of course in China, and when I received them (I ordered two), they were both cracked, apparently from having been crushed. You know how they send stuff; in grey plastic bags with no support. So after going around with him a bit, he sent two more, and I finally got this project done.

I used the VC knob that came with the set, but it was lacking it's insert, so I glued a Thumbtack head in it's place. The tuning dial came from my junk box. I purposely picked one that was large, which allows tuning to be less fastidious than with a small dial (and also I can SEE the numbers on it). I added an earphone jack, and voila, I now have some personal entertainment.

The scans show it's size (2-3/8" square, by 3/4" high), original Orange case, and comparison to another micro radio. Since I didn't want a speaker, I was able to keep the thickness down.

Attachments:
In Hand.jpg
In Hand.jpg [ 164.55 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
back.jpg
back.jpg [ 180.72 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
top.jpg
top.jpg [ 184.3 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
Original case.jpg
Original case.jpg [ 116.53 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]
With Riviera.jpg
With Riviera.jpg [ 115.3 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]

Post subject: Re: Doctor's office radio
PostPosted: Nov Mon 27, 2017 2:04 am 

Very cool!

I had one back in high school that came as a kit and was basically a crystal radio with a one transistor audio amp, or something close to that. It too used only an earphone. I have no idea where it went to over the years.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 7:27 pm 

Nice neat build fifties, I like the slim design, good job!

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 11:52 pm 

Nice work!