Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 28, 2017 1:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gibson GA-45rvt Saturn
PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 1:04 am 

I'm looking for a readable schematic for this dog! I found the regular 45rvt, and a really bad copy of the 45rvt Saturn but I can't see it well enough to tell if there are any differences, and Gibson was notorious I understand, for being a little loose with the documentation.
Anybody have anything on this?
Thanks!

Pete

Post subject: Re: Gibson GA-45rvt Saturn
PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 4:34 pm 

Will this help?
Bill J.

https://courses.physics.illinois.edu/ph ... report.pdf

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 5:36 pm 

Thanks Bill, I saw that one too. The schematic is the same GA-45RVT that I found. I guess there isn't that many differences. All I'm doing is a recap, and de-butchering the last guys efforts for a good friend of mine.
You don't see too many guitar amps with dual "firecracker" style filter capacitors, but that's what this one has which is consistent with other pictures I've seen. That young mans chassis picture in that file shows a can, chassis mounted cap which is the only picture I've seen with that in there. I've heard Gibson wasn't much on keeping up with engineering changes, and this amp proves it!
Thanks again,

Pete

PostPosted: Mar Mon 20, 2017 10:42 pm 

He installed the two can electrolytics right? Something about punching holes. The pictures weren't clear enough for me to see wiring.
Bill J.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 25, 2017 9:50 am 

There is definitely another version of the GA-45-RVT schematic floating around. I cannot remember if it is in Aspen Pittman's book, the Master Service Guide, gibson.com, gibson garage, or the old "How to Service Guitar Amps" book. But it is definitely out there. The tone-stack is completely different in the 2 versions and going off memory there may actually be a few power supply differences but I'm not 100% sure on that.

The 4x10 1965-67 Epiphone schematic may match- it utilized the GA-45-RVT amp section. I believe that amp is one of the versions of an EA-12-RVT

Gibson wasn't "loose" with the schematics- the correct one almost always eventually shows up. The issue seems to be since less people are interested in them it takes much more time to share information.

PostPosted: Apr Tue 25, 2017 9:52 am 

NumberMaj 1 wrote:
He installed the two can electrolytics right? Something about punching holes. The pictures weren't clear enough for me to see wiring.
Bill J.

That is correct- Gibson did not use FP style caps on the White Panel amplifiers. There is plenty of room to neatly underwire in replacements. No need to resort to drilling 1.5" holes........