Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 24, 2017 6:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Speaker
PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 6:08 am 

If I hookup my speaker wires to the wrong polarity can I ruin my radio or blow a tube.
Thanks Steve.

Post subject: Re: Radio Speaker
PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 2:16 am 

edit: for the simple one speaker radio that has a permanent magnet and with the wires coming from the secondary of the output transformer to the speaker, to answer your question: no, it does not matter.

...but it can depend on a few factors that were described in the post below mine.

i should have listed the other variables.

thanks battradio.

steve

Last edited by Dutch Rabbit on Jun Mon 19, 2017 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 2:35 am 

Does your radio have an electrodynamic speaker ;if it does the B+ could blow out the voice coil , if the output transfomer is mounted on the speaker , it could matter if the output is PP , also if the speaker voice coil is grounded through the frame of the speaker .

Period ?

edited

Last edited by battradio@ on Jun Mon 19, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 4:09 am 

see the signature at the bottom .

http://kubera.wikia.com/wiki/User:Battradio plus the narrative on this link .

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 4:44 am 

Radio Steve wrote:
If I hookup my speaker wires to the wrong polarity can I ruin my radio or blow a tube.
Thanks Steve.
If the radio is a 20's battery set and a pair of headphones or a magnetic horn speaker, incorrect polarity will weaken the headphone or horn speaker magnet. There are exceptions, use of a coupling or matching transformer, a pin drive horn-speaker unit or Baldwin balanced armature headphones. Correct polarity is when the diaphragm is pulled inward, toward the pole piece... The radio will not be harmed...

Chas

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 5:56 am 

battradio@ wrote:
see the signature at the bottom .

http://kubera.wikia.com/wiki/User:Battradio plus the narrative on this link .

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 2:56 pm 

Chas wrote:
Radio Steve wrote:
Thanks Steve.
If the radio is a 20's battery set and a pair of headphones or a magnetic horn speaker, incorrect polarity will weaken the headphone or horn speaker magnet. There are exceptions, use of a coupling or matching transformer, a pin drive horn-speaker unit or Baldwin balanced armature headphones. Correct polarity is when the diaphragm is pulled inward, toward the pole piece... The radio will not be harmed...

Chas

i have never worked on any early sets as described above due to the lack of interest. with that said, i certainly learned something today after all these years !

very interesting

thanks chas,

steve

PostPosted: Jun Mon 19, 2017 7:41 pm 

Thanks everyone for your reply. It's a General Electric YRB 79-2 radio. I forgot to mark the wires to where they hookup to the speaker. It sounds like there shouldn't be a problem if I get my wires crossed. I'll take a better look at my schematic and see if If I can figure out the correct hookup.
Thanks everyone, Steve.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 2:31 am 

i just restored an 82 or an 80-2. that radio and speaker will be happy either way it is hooked up.

steve

Last edited by Dutch Rabbit on Jun Tue 20, 2017 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 2:44 am 

Radio Steve wrote:
Thanks everyone for your reply. It's a General Electric YRB 79-2 radio. I forgot to mark the wires to where they hookup to the speaker. It sounds like there shouldn't be a problem if I get my wires crossed. I'll take a better look at my schematic and see if If I can figure out the correct hookup.
Thanks everyone, Steve.
Hmmm, forget, in some AC sets, there is a residual "designed in hum" the manufacturer deals with this by incorporating an additional winding of just a few turns of wire in the field magnet of the electromagnetic speaker. the field, voice coil and hum-bucker coil are all polarized to reduce this residual hum. connections to the radio of the voice currents could flip the cancellation effect. If the radio has a hum bucking coil, flipping the speaker leads, may create more or less hum. If there is hum, try reversing the two leads. Again, there is no harm to the radio, it can sing the music or hum it to you :D Obviously, if there is a permanent magnet speaker no probs...

Chas

PostPosted: Jun Tue 20, 2017 11:39 am 

Thanks everyone you have been a great help.
Steve.