Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Sat 24, 2018 1:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Vintage Sony TC-252D Reel to Reel player running too fast
PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 1:14 am 

Hello new here.

I have a vintage sony reel to reel model TC-252D. this was a mint in the box find. This is the universal voltage one with the voltage selector switch and the 50/60hz switch. Currently It plays too fast in both speeds(3 3/4 and 7 1/2 IPS). I Have the voltage selector set to 117 as that what we use here in the USA (110/120) I even tried toggling the 50/60hz switch but it didn't help. I tried spraying the speed selector switch with contact cleaner as well as the play rewind fast forward switch. Nothing helps. I know sometimes then come with a 50Hz motor pulley but all it says is E and has a 1. It also has no sound out the right channel. I sprayed the record play switches on the amp board but it did not help. If I can at least get the speed under control I'll have a local shop deal with the audio issue(most likely needs to be recapped). Again this was a mint in the box find. Still sealed with original packaging. Motor run Capacitor checks out OK as I did meter it. I would post pictures but the website says there too big and when I try to link to photobucket it says my post is too spammy.

Post subject: Re: Vintage Sony TC-252D Reel to Reel player running too fas
PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 1:47 pm 

See if the capstan has a sleeve over it. Some recorders have a tubular sleeve that makes the diameter larger for the 50 HZ. It may have a knurled knob on the top to remove it.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 13, 2018 11:42 pm 

It would help some to post a picture of your deck. the few Sony's I have messed with are real critical about drive wheel tension against the capstan

KK4ROV

PostPosted: Feb Wed 14, 2018 1:46 am 

I agree with Don. Your 252D uses a sleeve on the capstan for 50Hz. If that is not the problem then it could be the motor pulley. Seven different pulleys were available marked -2 to 2 to compensate for motor speed variations. Your pulley has a 1 on it which means the player would run faster than the normal pulley with 0 on it.
Believe me, yours would not be the first Sony of that era I've seen that had the wrong pulley right out of the box.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 3:16 am 

OK found it does have a capstan sleeve. I removed that and now it runs a bit slow. I did meter the run capacitor and it did check out ok. I found the owners and service manuals online but they are not for the universal voltage model. Since I'm new I can't post links so Delete the spaces to see the images.

https: //s26.postimg. org/97lql1cjt/IMAG0046. jpg

https: //s26.postimg. org/jufjqg59l/IMAG0047. jpg

PostPosted: Feb Thu 15, 2018 1:38 pm 

My advice is to replace the motor run capacitor.

But first let the motor run for a bit and see if the cap gets warm at all. If so definitely replace.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 16, 2018 4:09 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
My advice is to replace the motor run capacitor.

But first let the motor run for a bit and see if the cap gets warm at all. If so definitely replace.

Good advice and I concur. I have replaced several of those motor run capacitors on Sony tapecorders. They often heat up and explode making a mess inside of the machine. It is important to match exactly (not higher, not lower) the capacity (Ч) of the original capacitor. A bad capacitor will also make the motor get very warm as well.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 4:21 am 

Don't be surprised to see two motor run capacitors on the switchable 50/60 Hz models.

-David

PostPosted: Feb Sat 17, 2018 3:21 pm 

dberman51 wrote:
Don't be surprised to see two motor run capacitors on the switchable 50/60 Hz models.

-David

Thanks David for remembering and mentioning that. That is true, International models may well a two a two section electrolytic capacitor.