Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 11:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Monster Meissner
PostPosted: Feb Sat 26, 2011 4:58 pm 

I have a thing for early tube tuners like Radio Craftsmen, Fisher, Browning, Howard, Pilot, etc. I found this Meissner 9-1091C AM-FM tuner chassis about 30 years ago at a local surplus store. It has a huge 10 x 17 inch chassis and 18 tubes! (Remember, this is just a tuner, not a complete receiver). I fiddled with it back then and got it to work but it needed lots of restoration so I put it in storage as a future project. Then, about 15 years ago, I pulled it out of storage and found it had become home to rodents which chewed some of the wiring including the AM antenna, mixer and oscillator coils which were now open. Geez. I put it back in storage but this time in a plastic tote bin.

I recently acquired a small, beat-up tuner chassis (a Bogen) which happened to use the same circuit in the AM section. I decided to sacrifice the Bogen and see if it's coils would work in the Meissner. They did and the Meissner AM section came into perfect RF alignment. I continued with replacing the caps, many out-of-tolerance resistors, and the plate-to-line output transformer which was open.

After alignment, this tuner's performance is very impressive on both bands. The AM and FM circuits are totally separate sharing only the power supply, audio stages, eye tube and tuning gang. The FM section has 3 IF stages, 2 limiters plus the discriminator. The AM section has a TRF stage plus 2 IF stages with dual bandwidths. It is probably the best early post-war tuner I've ever encountered.

Attachment:
Meissner 9-1091C(4).jpg
Meissner 9-1091C(4).jpg [ 209.67 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

Attachment:
Meissner 9-1091C(1).jpg
Meissner 9-1091C(1).jpg [ 292.53 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

Attachment:
Meissner 9-1091C(2).jpg
Meissner 9-1091C(2).jpg [ 262.56 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

Attachment:
Meissner 9-1091C(3).jpg
Meissner 9-1091C(3).jpg [ 272.07 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

Dave

Last edited by Dave Doughty on Feb Sun 27, 2011 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 26, 2011 5:47 pm 

A very nice unit, Dave. Congratulations :wink:.

It very strongly resembles a Fisher 50-R.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sat 26, 2011 11:47 pm 

Yep, ANYTHING that Meissner made was exceptional. I have two of that model; one in a steel cabinet, black wrinkle finished, and another just uncased. That model was a classical fine receiver, and performed as one would expect from its design.

There was another version of that tuner, with an amplifier, using 6L6 power amps. I've never seen one in the flesh, but would love to find one.

I bought a Meissner 8C tuner in 1950, and while it's very unlike the one in question here, it's a good little tuner.

Back when they were not being sought at all, I bought several of the Craftsman tuners. Some had the preamps on them, and others didn't. Those run a close second to that Meissner.

Then, GE had a rather sensational FM tuner, with a high tube count. I forgot the model number. It's a killer tuner as well.

Over the years, I've stumbled onto a couple of the E-V FM-AM tuners, with the two dials; one for each band. One of the tuners has the preamp in it, while the other hasn't. They were designed to be used with E-V's Circlotron amplifiers. The sets are pretty hot. I think that the E-V electronics were built by RME, which E-V owned at the time.

Ever tangled with one of the Fre-Mo-Dyne FM tuners? LOL, what garbage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 27, 2011 1:01 am 

Nice job Dave!

You've given me incentive to tackle mine. What did you use to clean the chassis?

-- Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 27, 2011 2:18 am 

tubeR wrote:
Nice job Dave!

You've given me incentive to tackle mine. What did you use to clean the chassis?

-- Rich

Thanks. I use an ArmorAll product called Multi-Purpose Auto Cleaner on just about everything (along with Bounty paper towels). It's somewhat hard to find where you'd normally expect but it seems that two of my grocery store chains have it.

Larry's comment about the Meissner resembling a Fisher 50-R prompted me to get out my 70-RT and start working on it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Feb Sun 27, 2011 2:26 am 

:wink:

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2011 3:46 pm 

Hi i have one myself got it for $45.00 works great in steel cabinet..Dont see many of them,Ilike the number of tubes it uses.I play it thru my Scott Philharmonic 30 sometimes...Picks up lots of stations on AM/FM..Sprman : ) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2011 4:18 pm 

That's a nice tuner. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sat 19, 2011 10:43 pm 

Dave Doughty wrote:
tubeR wrote:
Nice job Dave!

-- Rich

Thanks. I use an ArmorAll product called Multi-Purpose Auto Cleaner on just about everything (along with Bounty paper towels). It's somewhat hard to find where you'd normally expect but it seems that two of my grocery store chains have it.

Larry's comment about the Meissner resembling a Fisher 50-R prompted me to get out my 70-RT and start working on it.

Dave

Dave;
Is this the cleaner?
http://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-Multi-P ... B0009PCPEU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mar Sun 20, 2011 12:38 am 

fifties wrote:
Dave Doughty wrote:
tubeR wrote:
Nice job Dave!

-- Rich

Dave

Dave;
Is this the cleaner?
http://www.amazon.com/Armor-All-Multi-P ... B0009PCPEU

That's it!

Dave

Post subject: Re: My Monster Meissner
PostPosted: Jan Wed 04, 2012 6:32 am 

Reviving a topic from last February by Dave Doughty. As I commented, his results gave me the incentive to operate on my Meissner model 9-1091C AM-FM tuner. Here is a picture and a webpage with the result.

Click this link for the webpage:
http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/bapix/MeiAMFM9.htm

As a follow-up this past weekend, I checked the FM alignment with a sweep generator. On the scope it showed a perfect classic view. There was no need to redo the voltage-based alignment.

-- Rich

PostPosted: Jan Wed 04, 2012 10:55 pm 

I have one of those, and it sounds great! happy to know another one is being cared for. :mrgreen:
Kevin

PostPosted: Jan Fri 06, 2012 2:00 am 

Well done :D

Meissner was high quality, no doubt. I notice that it has a built-in preamp, I bet it is quite good.

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2012 1:56 pm 

I just HAD to lookup the schematic for the 9-1091C to see what the heck they were doing with all those tubes in a mono tuner!
The answer is that they have the AM and FM sections completely independent of each other. No shared stages at all like you find in 99% of other tuners. The only thing shared is the power supply and the audio pre-amp. Essentially two separate radios in one package.
I presume this allows them to optimize each section for it's purpose and accounts for it's reputation. Other than that, there are no gee-whiz surprises at all, not even AFC or a tuning indicator. I kinda expected some really startling innovations.
I was almost disappointed :D

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2012 2:51 pm 

Oldbear wrote:
...there are no gee-whiz surprises at all, not even AFC or a tuning indicator.

No AFC but it does have a tuning eye.

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Sat 07, 2012 10:45 pm 

Ah yes, so it does. I stand corrected.

PostPosted: Mar Thu 07, 2013 12:30 am 

If you think thats nice....get a look at the 9-1093 sset with its matching 18 watt hi fi amp. and if you are still interested you should check out the 2961 i believe

If you like that ......take a look at the 9-1093 with its matching 18 watt amp.Real hi fi back in the early 50's. And if you like high tube counts the 2961 with over 25 tubes should get you going. Push-pull-parallel 6L6g's triode connected.But be fore warned. The large output transformer was mounted on the 15 inch Jensen 222 co axial loudspeaker so all the asses that bought the speakers thinking the trans was part of it,won't give them up!!!!

/

PostPosted: Mar Fri 08, 2013 9:54 pm 

Glad to see that others have saved and restored some of the old Meissners. I too have several of them and agree with crosscoupled that they are good. I have restored a 2961, I bought the amp and tuner and found out the seller was going to trash the cabinet! Bought that too. Also have a 9AC, T10-1199, two 1093 amps, a 1028, an analyst, a signal shifter and an extra 2961 amp. Some time back I posted a photo an AM TRF tuner in the photo gallery. I had restored it but did not know what model it was. Folks here gave me an ID on it. Bill

PostPosted: Mar Sat 09, 2013 2:32 am 

My other Meissner restorations are a prewar 9-1047 old-band tuner that uses 150 ma series-string tubes powered with an isolation transformer bolted to the inside of the cabinet. It was purchased from a kind forum member.

Attachment:
9-1047.jpg
9-1047.jpg [ 224.2 KiB | Viewed 5080 times ]

I also restored a post-war 8-C which blows away any of the others from Pilot, Howard, Granco, etc. I don't have a picture of mine but here's a picture of one I found on the web.

Waiting in the wings is a portable disc recorder/PA system/AM radio that weighs a ton. The recorder operates at 78 and 33.3 RPM. Looks like this.

Dave

PostPosted: Mar Sat 09, 2013 4:10 am 

Dave Doughty wrote:
My other Meissner restorations are a prewar 9-1047 old-band tuner that uses 150 ma series-string tubes powered with an isolation transformer bolted to the inside of the cabinet. It was purchased from a kind forum member.

So Dave, can the receiver pick up anything, in it's frequency rather than amplitude modulated 42 - 50 megacycle range?