Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 30, 2014 6:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sansui G5700 Stereo value?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 02, 2012 3:47 pm 

I have a mint condition Sansui G5700 Stereo that has been boxed up for years.
Do these vintage 70's stereos still have any real value?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sansui G5700 Stereo value?
PostPosted: Feb Thu 02, 2012 4:46 pm 

Absolutely yes! The Sansui sets were and still are very good performers.

But please don't plug it in to test it. Most likely it will need to have some components replaced, namely the electrolytic and paper capacitors. It should be gone through by an advanced hobbiest or professional, who might elect to try to bring set up slowly with a variac and carefully monitor results.

Other option is to sell as is, take pictures, state that set has not been used in X years. You could do that on this forum, and I'm sure it would find a good home. Frankly you could probably get more coin on Ebay if you are so inclined.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 02, 2012 9:52 pm 

Personally, I consider the G series the start of Sansui's severe drop in quality and craftmanship. Like many other companies that relied on their reputation, they began to make cheap products that kinda sorta worked, but were no where near the previous high standards they had set.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 12:58 am 

Funny you should say that.
I still have the "Stereo Review Magazine" G5700 review that was done by one of the premier audio experts at the time, Julian Hirsch.
Ultimately, Julian could not have disagreed with you more.
He gave it an absolutely fantastic review.
I'll be more than happy to scan and post his conclusion.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 2:24 am 

I have to say those redundant tuner receivers were kinda goofy things, done for the current marketing of the day.
I was never impressed by them. - maybe somebody was dazzled by a snazzy digital display.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 6:01 am 

I wonder if Julian Hirsch was a tech. When you have to make a living putting poor quality equipment back together it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

The G series was no match for the previous good stuff like the QRX series and many others. Sansui rested on their laurels, like Sony is doing now. Very sad.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 5:39 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
I wonder if Julian Hirsch was a tech. When you have to make a living putting poor quality equipment back together it kind of leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

The G series was no match for the previous good stuff like the QRX series and many others. Sansui rested on their laurels, like Sony is doing now. Very sad.

Hirsch-Houck Laboratories

In 1957, Hirsch and Gladden Houck, who also worked on the Audio League Report, formed Hirsch-Houck Laboratories, where they continued testing audio equipment such as turntables, receivers, and speakers, and sold the data to various publications. In 1960, Ziff-Davis Publishing bought out Gladden Houck and Hirsch began providing test data exclusively for its publications, although the lab continued to be called Hirsch-Houck Laboratories. Hirsch first tested gear for Popular Electronics, then, in October 1961, for Hi-Fi/Stereo Review, which was later renamed Stereo Review. He also began writing the monthly column "Technical Talk." Hirsch estimated that he wrote about 4,000 laboratory test reports for various publications, 2,400 of those at Stereo Review, by the time he retired in 1998.[1] He remained an editor-at-large for Stereo Review, which merged with Video magazine, and in 2000 was renamed Sound & Vision.

Hirsch helped draft the Institute of High Fidelity standards that made it easier for consumers to compare audio equipment.[2] Bob Ankosko, an editor-in-chief at Sound & Vision, said "Julian Hirsch was one of the most influential writers ever in consumer electronics."[3]

Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., publisher of Sound & Vision, established the Julian Hirsch Scholarship Fund at his alma mater, the School of Engineering of The Cooper Union.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 7:07 pm 

Like Consumer Reports testing et al, all those "independent" laboratories only had current opinions of products - how could they mention in an article the future of a product?
Just like automobiles - Road & Track can't fully determine reliability or future value, because the market interest changes, or recalls pop up.

I once remember a highly-touted receiver maker, Pioneer, getting rave reviews - yet within a short time (convieniently "after" the suckers bought the products) those same receivers were being brought back to the stores for warranty repairs due to blown output transistors.

You can't always give an accurate up-front opinion of things.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 7:59 pm 

RepairTech wrote:
Like Consumer Reports testing et al, all those "independent" laboratories only had current opinions of products - how could they mention in an article the future of a product?
Just like automobiles - Road & Track can't fully determine reliability or future value, because the market interest changes, or recalls pop up.

I once remember a highly-touted receiver maker, Pioneer, getting rave reviews - yet within a short time (convieniently "after" the suckers bought the products) those same receivers were being brought back to the stores for warranty repairs due to blown output transistors.

You can't always give an accurate up-front opinion of things.

That most certainly applies to many of the opinions given on internet forums as well.

As an electronics engineer and former stereo shop owner, I've always had the utmost respect for Julian Hirsch and always valued his opinions.
With that, I wasn't interested in getting opinions regarding the quality of a 70's vintage Sansui.
Just it's estimated value.

Thanks

PostPosted: Feb Fri 03, 2012 9:38 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
Personally, I consider the G series the start of Sansui's severe drop in quality and craftmanship. Like many other companies that relied on their reputation, they began to make cheap products that kinda sorta worked, but were no where near the previous high standards they had set.

I suspect that you've never owned, picked up or listened to a Sansui G9000? :wink:

Wb

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 12:35 am 

I don't remember the G9000; never owned one, but may well have worked on them.

My complaint and observation is that many manufacturers (Sansui among them) started to cut corners and cheapen their products lines. That is not to say they didn't meet specs; if the rating was 100 watts into 4 ohms at .04% distortion, they would perform. But, when a tech has to remove a cheaply made cabinet, then take off a press-board back to get at a poorly laid-out chassis, he begins to wonder what the design engineers were thinking. Especially when repairs take twice as long as they should; when it starts to adversely effect the old paycheck, then you just shake your head and groan.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 2:36 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
I don't remember the G9000; never owned one, but may well have worked on them.

My complaint and observation is that many manufacturers (Sansui among them) started to cut corners and cheapen their products lines. That is not to say they didn't meet specs; if the rating was 100 watts into 4 ohms at .04% distortion, they would perform. But, when a tech has to remove a cheaply made cabinet, then take off a press-board back to get at a poorly laid-out chassis, he begins to wonder what the design engineers were thinking. Especially when repairs take twice as long as they should; when it starts to adversely effect the old paycheck, then you just shake your head and groan.

I did.
To be certified by Sansui, (along with other major brands of the time) my staff and I had to open and
troubleshoot many "G" model Sansui's.
I can tell you that the G5700 weighs probably 40 lbs. No press board.
It's cabinet is solid wood. It's specifications are, and still are, fantastic.
With all due respect sir, you have made a lot of generalizations that are patently false.

My technicians had absolutely no more difficulty troubleshooting and repairing a "G" series Sansui then they did any other receiver / amp of the day.
Then again I hired good technicians.........

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 2:43 am 

Curt wrote:
With all due respect sir, you have made a lot of generalizations that are patently false.

My technicians had absolutely no more difficulty troubleshooting and repairing a "G" series Sansui then they did any other receiver / amp of the day.

WELL! :shock:

I guess meester JSan got told!

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 3:45 am 

RepairTech wrote:
Curt wrote:

WELL! :shock:

I guess meester JSan got told!

:lol: :lol:

Please, I didn't mean to suggest that he wasn't a great technician. He might very well be.
I'm just saying that my techs were more than able to troubleshoot and repair a Sansui G model with zero difficulty.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 7:32 am 

OK Curt, have it your way..... The G5700 is worth billions. Anyone who has a different idea is a moron.

Are you happy now?

If you know everything about the G5700, why did you start this thread?

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 5:15 pm 

You could see if there are any previous comparables sold on Ebay. Else put it up there with a reserve you can live with, and you will find out what it's worth. Be prepared to ship to Asia for your best result.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 5:20 pm 

Johnnysan wrote:
OK Curt, have it your way..... The G5700 is worth billions. Anyone who has a different idea is a moron.

Are you happy now?

If you know everything about the G5700, why did you start this thread?

There you go again my friend.
I never suggested that I want it "my way"
I never suggested that "anyone who has a different idea is a moron"
I never suggested that I know "everything about the G5700".
And I started the thread to see if anyone knew of the value, as in "$" value of the unit.

And yes, I'm happy now. Especially after learning that the G5700 is worth billions.

Last edited by Curt on Feb Sat 04, 2012 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 04, 2012 5:21 pm 

Sorry to all about the way this thread turned.
I was simply looking for a value estimate from someone who may have put one of these up for sale.

Thanks

PostPosted: Feb Mon 06, 2012 1:37 am 

Location: Dallas, TX - in the city but with bobcats and coyotes
If. You sign in to ePay you might find it in a search. Do an advanced search and click "completed items" or something.

PostPosted: Feb Tue 07, 2012 2:36 am 

2 completed auctions on Ebay, highest bid and sold, $127.50 and $87.50.