Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 14, 2017 6:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Akai Cross-field X-1800SD
PostPosted: Jun Mon 18, 2012 3:28 am 

Can anyone give me any information of a Akai Cross Field X-1800SD unit I just purchased.
Worth any Money, where can I get instructions manual, or the cartridge. actual music recording tape?, web site
ect.

Post subject: Re: Akai Cross-field X-1800SD
PostPosted: Jun Mon 18, 2012 6:33 pm 

The cartridge is a standard Lear Jet 8 track type, I have the schematic, but it cant be copied easily.
For an Akai collector, they are of interest. For someone who worked on them, they never
worked well because the motor couldn't run both the reel to reel part and the 8 track drive,
which is what was needed to make 8 track carts for your car from your library. Most people
just used them as RR machines.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Jun Mon 18, 2012 7:04 pm 

You can register on this site and download a free copy of the owners manual and service manual:

http://www.hifiengine.com/manuals/akai/x-1800sd.shtml

For $5.50 you can get a CD of the service manual shipping included:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Service-Manual- ... vi-content

Ebay is one source for blank and pre-recorded 8-track tapes as well as for reel-to-reel tapes.

Dave

PostPosted: Jun Tue 19, 2012 5:11 am 

I have one of those somewhere in the garage or the basement.As I remember the reel shaft was broken plus it had no sound output.I got to dig it out and work on it.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 19, 2012 6:45 am 

I was messing around withine last night trying to figure out the proper placement of some the reel to reel ended up u tubing it and figured it out. But to no avail the tape I had was blank. Lol

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 6:32 am 

The X-1800SD and about a dozen other models made by Akai around that same time have an often non-repairable failure that, based on what I've seen, afflicts every single one of those machines.

Behind the frontpanel, the play lever shaft is connected to a pot-metal cam. This part works very hard. The cam followers impose a HUGE mechanical load on the pot metal. Every one of these cams that I've seen in the last ten or fifteen years was either riddled with major cracks, or had already shattered. You should remove the frontpanel and inspect this part closely. If it has shattered, there is probably no hope, but if it is simply riddled with cracks, you can hold off the shattering and crumbling for a time by removing it, washing it thoroughly, and then painting it as heavily as room and the demands of the followers will allow with several laminations of JB Weld.

Fred
owner
Classic Audio Repair

PostPosted: Jun Wed 20, 2012 7:01 am 

Thank you Fred and to everyones input. It has helped me out a lot. I will keep you all updated on any progress

PostPosted: Nov Fri 24, 2017 11:06 pm 

Hi everyone! Or anyone!

I realize this thread is now five years old and being a brand new member here don't know whether or not the topic is even still visible. I found this thread via a Google search looking for a user and/or service manual for my vintage Akai X-1800SD. Thanks to Dave Doughty's links I've downloaded both the user and service mauls from the HiFi Engine website. Thanks Dave! (If you are still here?)

I've owned my 1800SD since the late 1960's or early 70's but it's been packed away in a closet for at least 15 or 20 years. The unit was working fine when I put it away. I got the Reel-to-Reel itch today and dug it out to see if I could play some of my old tapes from back in the day.

I doubt this unit suffers from any of the problems that Fred Longworth mentioned, but unfortunately, when I plugged the unit in, the 1800 did nothing. No meter lights, no sound, no motion, no fan, etc. I.E. Dead as a door nail.

I checked the power input and frequency settings as well as the fuse in the back panel... Which all looked good but the 1800 simply won't power up! Before I delve into the service manual, which will no doubt involve a substantial learning curve for me, and start disassembling the unit, is there anyone here familiar with the Akai X-1800SD who could make any suggestions on where and how to start troubleshooting the problem.

I'd sure enjoy listening to some of my old tapes, including one in particular, that was sent to me by a friend who made it while the ammo dumps were exploding at Khe Sanh during the Vietnam war.

Any help on this will be much appreciated! ZT

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 4:33 am 

Well everyone... It appears my very first post here on the antique radio forum was a bit premature. While I'm certainly no radio/electronics expert though I do have a basic understanding of circuits and can work my way through a schematic when I need to, I'm very happy to let you know my Akai X-1800SD is once again up and running with some vintage Doobie brothers in the background as I type this followup!

When the unit didn't power up initially and with the symptoms described in my original post, my first thoughts went to the on/off power switch which after sitting for so long, I thought, was probably dirty, sticky, corroded, etc. and simply not making good contact. I posted here after cycling the switch 15 or 20 times with no success. Then later on this evening, after eating a slice of leftover pumpkin pie, gave it another try. Lo and behold, after another 15 or 20 tries, I noticed the that the little tape drive capstan was indeed spinning. So, with the possibility of a deteriorating pot metal cam in mind, I gave the play lever a gentle clockwise click and on came the Doobies!

The VU meter lamps are still not lighting up and the volume controls are a little scratchy when the knobs are being turned, but the scratching so disappears once settled in on the desired volume. The sound from the built in speakers and through a pair of old Utak cabinet speakers seems as good as it ever was. At this point, I'm thinking a little can of compressed air and/or a bit of contact cleaner might just cure the scratchiness when adjusting the volume.

Any further recommendations anyone can provide on appropriate followup TLC for this old Akai would be much appreciated. ZT

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 12:51 pm 

Hi and welcome to ARF.

the 1800SD is a good deck and puts out nice sound

first thing you need to do is remove the front cover and have a look at the control cams to see if they are deteriorating. while you are in there, all of the pivot points on the linkages need cleaning/lubrication. then on to the motor where some lube is in order and the motor capacitors will need to be replaced. then a good cleaning of the heads, pinch roller, and the whole tape path.

Others will be along with more in depth info shortly

Randy

KK4ROV

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 2:56 pm 

And let me also welcome you to ARF. It is nice to see the reels spinning and the music pouring forth.

I have more than 5 "primary" reel-to-reel machines and all of them need maintenance. Lubrication is the issue and maybe, just maybe I can move them up in the queue. Enjoy that AKAI, I have one somewhere, don't even know what model. Must be a sickness on my part...

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 7:53 pm 

Thanks Randy and Don, for your replies and for welcoming me to ARF!

I have so many questions about this old Akai, and being new to ARF, i'm wondering if I should start a fresh thread, or even multiple threads with specific questions to help sort things out? Please let me know what path would be most appropriate!

For now though, in order to continue the present discussion...

I do plan to remove the front cover Randy, in order to have a look at the condition of the cams, but more pressing to me right now is to see what I can do to remove the scratchy noise when adjusting the volume controls. I imagine these adjustable rheostats, pots, or whatever the correct nomenclature is, are sealed units in some sort of can enclosure. Is there anything I can do to clean them up?

Also for Randy, I'm curious why you suggest replacing the motor capacitors (I assume there are both start and run caps) as a matter of course; when the motor seem to start just fine and appear to run at the proper speed?

And for Don, I'm not sure of the timeframes but I remember reading in one or more of your previous posts here on the forum that you were in the process of moving from Florida to Maryland if I'm not mistaken. Have you, by now, completed your move?

I look forward to your replies to these questions and to any advice on whether to continue on in with additional Akai questions in this thread or would it be better to start one or more new threads with specific questions spelled out in the subject lines?

ZT

PostPosted: Nov Sat 25, 2017 10:02 pm 

ZT, bad motor caps don't always show themselves until the motor has run for a while and is put under heavy load, like rewinding an entire tape. the motor will slow down and loose power and be real hot to the touch. I believe it is a multi section cap mounted on the side of the motor.

I have had several of the 1800s over the past few years and all had bad motor caps

Randy

KK4ROV

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 2:04 am 

cl350rr is correct.

Motor caps are dying on Teac, Akai, and Sony---all sets that use AC capstan motors. The symptom may not show up right away, but when it does the motor will run a little slow. The torque will be less than desired. And the motor will run VERY HOT. Hot enough to volatilize all but the most tenacious of oils.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

To deal with touchy switches and noisy controls we use Caig DeoxIT D5 made right here in San Diego County (Poway). Their chemical is very highly regarded, however, recently they changed the valve system that you press on to get a squirt. This was NOT an improvement, but with good hand coordination you can still get a light stream of the oxidation remover chemical. Of course you need to inject it INSIDE the controls and switches. This requires some degree of disassembly. After introducing the DeoxiT into a control or switch, you need to operate the switch or control through its full range at least 25 - 30 times.

Fred
owner - Classic Audio Repair, Inc.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 26, 2017 3:00 am 

Thanks Randy! Thanks Fred!
I appreciate your replies on the capacitor(s) and Fred's recommendation on the Caig DeoxIT D5 for cleaning up the volume controls.

Are replacement capacitors of the correct size/configuration likely something that's readily available "off-the-shelf" at places like Mouser, Grainier, or Fry's? And Fred, can you recommend a good "tenacious" lube oil that would be better than the typical can of 3 in 1, or regular sewing machine oil? And how about grease for linkages and sliding parts? Can you recommend any specific products for those areas?

I've got to admit, I am normally prone to putting off ripping anything apart for preventative maintenance; especially when everything seems to be working good. I thoroughly enjoyed playing both sides of at least a half dozen - 7" reels today on the Akai, with a good deal of both FF/RW's of entire tapes and never noticed anything out of the ordinary... i.e. Excessive heat or changes in motor speed. I do realize though, that capacitors break down with age, and with the possibility of deteriorating pot metal cams looming, it's probably better to get in there and have a look sooner rather than later!

Thanks again guys! I do appreciate your help! ZT

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 2:08 pm 

Yes those pot metal cams.

Had one on an AKAI M8 I believe that was broken. Had gotten a replacement from some guy several years ago who had a lot of AKAI parts and had a website with some history, although I cannot remember the guy or the website and I cannot seem to find it by googling.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 4:47 pm 

Oh! Well thanks for that info Tube Radio!

Please post back if you ever remember who that parts guy was. From what I've been hearing about those cams, more than a few Vintage Akai owners would like to get in touch with him!

ZT

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 7:06 pm 

Now if this uses a similar tape transport to what other earlier AKAI units used it is possible they use the same cams and another tape transport may have the necesary cams plus other parts that will work.

Two years ago I found an AKAI Terecorder and it needed a drive wheel. Saw its transport was real similar to the M7 and M8 minus a few things those two had so I pulled a god drive wheel from one of those two and it worked.

What irks me is those who get the AKAI tube stereo models just for the amps and trash the tape transport.

Lots of parts that can fit various models gone forever.

I recently disassembled two AKAI tape transports that had been collecting dust to save space and put the parts in a container as that takes up less space.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 8:00 pm 

Thanks for your reply Tube Radio!

I haven't yet opened up my X-1800SD to determine the condition of the cams because it seems to be working quite well; all things considered. I've owned this box for a very long time but it's been tucked away for quite a long too. I wouldn't say it was ever heavily used but, from what I've gleaned from others, the deterioration of the cams may be more related to age rather than from heavy use. Any opinions on that?

ZT

Last edited by ZTatZAU on Nov Tue 28, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 8:01 pm 

Ooops! Duplicate post deleted!

ZT