Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Akai Cross-field X-1800SD
PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 1:17 am 

cam deterioration is the breakdown of the zinc material they are made of. it starts with cracks and progresses until large chunks begin to fall off. it is best to know it is happening and possibly shore up the damage with some epoxy before they get to the point of no return. I had a deck a few years ago that was working ok, I opened it up to replace the motor capacitors because it was slowing down to a crawl at the end of a full rewind. what I found was a set of cams that were split and falling apart. I could not tell from outside the machine as they were still working like they were supposed to.

i have read that impurities in the zinc casting is what causes the delamination, impurities introduced in the casting process. it does not happen to all akai zinc cams but most. that said, I have a couple of decks with the same cams and they are still crack free. may have been a friday last shift problem or just QA issues during production.

Randy

KK4ROV