Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 30, 2014 12:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Yamaha R-500
PostPosted: Mar Tue 26, 2013 11:08 pm 

I just bought a Yamaha R-500 from Goodwill. The unit is clean and completely intact. I have sprayed all the switches with contact cleaner. After letting the unit set for 24 hours to dry I turned it on. It works very well. The only problem I have is with the power switch-----it won't stay engaged. I don't have any clicking sound to the ear or touch. Before I tear the unit apart is this something that can be fixed or do I need to buy a new switch? I guess, either way, I'll have to take it apart.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject: Re: Yamaha R-500
PostPosted: Mar Wed 27, 2013 4:08 am 

You need to install a new switch.

Fred
owner
Classic Audio Repair

PostPosted: Mar Thu 28, 2013 12:46 am 

Thanks Fred. I was taking the front panel off to remove the switch and noticed that it had positioned itself off center, possibly dropped somewhere along the way to me. I centered the panel and voila....the switch works as it should.
The unit is very clean and now no problems.

Mike

PostPosted: Mar Fri 29, 2013 5:47 am 

Mike,

I just diagnosed a Sansui AU-719 integrated amplifier. Quite a nice thing from the 1970's. The failure was the power switch. I could hang my ohmmeter across the switch, and each time I flicked it on I got a different reading. A good switch would've read about half an ohm. I was getting everything from 8 ohms to 90 ohms.

Most of the replacement switches will have slightly different mounting centers, so we'll need to do a bit of light machine work. We always like to install a switch with a higher amperage rating than the original.

Fred
owner
Classic Audio Repair