Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 14, 2017 6:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Free Pickup: Realistic SCT-21 cassette deck
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2013 6:49 pm 

Picked up this free Realistic SCT-21 deck today. Not sure what year it is from, but seems like early 1970's ? Not sure if it is worth anything but I got it anyways. It is in real nice condition, and also comes with manual.
The thing weighs a tonne ! Seems like real good quality !
Not sure if it works as it should but owner says it did last time he used it.

Anyone have any info on it ?

Some pics.

Post subject: Re: Free Pickup: Realistic SCT-21 cassette deck
PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2013 8:17 pm 

If anyone is wondering what the "FM" position on the dolby selector is for, there was a time when FM stations experimented with sending their audio signal through a dolby encoder before transmitting it. The hope was that receivers equipped with a decoder would enjoy noise reduction beyond the fixed pre-emphasis/de-emphasis system already mandated. Stations in the US transmitting in dolby had special permission to use 25 us pre-emphasis instead of 75 us. They actually transmitted a calibration tone once or twice a day so people could calibrate their receivers. When you recorded the signal, you had to calibrate your tape deck to this signal. In the case of this tape deck, when "FM" is selected, I believe it records with no dolby encoding but plays back with dolby tailored to the FM system. Some decks allow you to use the dolby circuit to decode the FM audio without recording but I'm not sure about this one.

The system was a flop because most people listened without dolby decoding. The result was that a station sounded overly bright with soft sounds but dull and lifeless with loud sounds. A station here in Utica tried dolby. It sounded great when decoding was used but terrible without it.

You probably have more information in your manual than any of us can provide about your deck. Sometimes, Radio Shack even put the schematic in their instruction books. Looks like one of the gazillion machines available when the cassette was king. Yours seems to be in great shape!

Dave

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2013 9:38 pm 

FM Dolby B was back in the late 70s or so. My Sansui 990DB has both Tape Dolby B and FM Dolby B. So, one can actually play and record tapes in Dolby B using the Sansui.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 14, 2013 4:40 pm 

I used to use a Dolby FM deck a while back (20+ years) as a throughput style filter, in addition to recording with regular Dolby B.

I'd run my source through the FM deck, and into a regular Dolby B deck, and make the tape as per usual. This tape could be used on anyone's tape deck with no ill effects, and it was even a little punchier and brighter than most.

THEN, for my own personal playback, I'd run the tape, playing with Dolby B, back through the FM deck for additional noise reduction and brightening. This TOTALLY eliminated tape noise, and the final results were stunning, especially on tapes made from a CD.

I called it Dolby F at the time. (My nickname back then was Fish...I even drew a little fish/Dolby type of symbol on the tapes I encoded with this system)

That looks like a nice deck.

Eric

PostPosted: Oct Tue 22, 2013 7:26 pm 

Update: powered up the realistic.. seems to work good..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lGd3BiS ... lA6BPw9HFQ

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 9:03 pm 

I know full well this is a very old post but I happen to have one of these decks and was looking for anyone with information on them.

Seems someone thought he could remove the flywheel and belt to clean to cure a slipping problem.

Then this someone had a small pair of gears fall out and he can't figure out how they are to be installed.

Just hoping someone has some source of information that will help me, I mean HIM! figure it out.