Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Thu 23, 2017 7:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1958? Magnavox 1-SR276F AM/FM Stereo + Companion Speaker !!
PostPosted: Mar Sat 22, 2014 12:58 am 

Doing my usual CL trolling yesterday and ran across a month old but intriguing ad with a couple of really blurry pictures.

"1950s Magnavox stereo/record player. Original condition, haven't used in decades, it might work, record player will need a needle. Comes in 2 pieces... 2nd cabinet for record storage and additional speaker"

The asking price seemed a bit high but I texted the seller anyway to see if he still had it, and could I come take a look, he did... and so I made arrangements to go by this morning before work and have a peak at it.

Well I was not prepared for what I found... the seller told me that the set had belonged to his parents who bought it brand new in the 50's and he remembered them using it for perhaps 6-7 years and then replacing it with a much larger Magnavox Console in the mid 60's. He was actually quite surprised when he found this sitting in the back of there garage, covered in a heavy wool blanket.

Aside from some dust and a couple of small scuffs (and one brand new ding in the front of one of the lids that was the result of something being dropped on it while the garage was being cleared :cry: ) both cabinets look like they could have just been delivered from the store! The finish on these is AMAZING!

After looking them over and chatting for a few minutes (trying to stay cool and calm) I made him a reasonable offer, all the while assuring him that I was going to fix the electronics and keep these for myself and would hand them down to my kids and grand-kids, and he accepted!

So far all I have done is gently blow the dust off and take pictures.

Indeed this is a 1-SR76F and it's companion model S-35 Speaker.
According to the 1958 Magnavox catalog over at ShedRadios.com this model is "The Belvedere".

The cabinets are approx 30" high, 24" wide and 17" deep.
The main cabinet has 1 x 15", 1 x 8", and 2 x 5" speakers.
The S-35 has 1 x 15", 1 x 6by9", and 2 x 5" speakers, and about 50' of hookup wire to connect to the amp!

This bulge is a cover over one of the 5" speakers in the S-35.

The chassis and most of the other metal parts have a light coating of yellowish corrosion that seems like it should brush off easily enough.

The Amp appears to be an AMP-175-D (could be some other number... hard to read under the corrosion) with
4 x 6v6
2 x 12AX7
1 x 5U4

All but one tube (an RCA 6v6) appears to be original to the unit.

The hand written numbers on the AM/FM tuner chassis look to be
152 D (not sure on this)

The turntable spins freely and there is a needle installed but it will undoubtedly need to be cleaned and lubed.
The AM/FM radio face-plate shows some wea,r and the tuning dial is frozen (same thing on my 67 console :P ) but I have no doubt that I can get it freed up and working correctly when I have it out to replace the caps.

That's all for now... If anyone knows more about this Magnavox or has the Sams for the Amp and Tuner I would appreciate hearing from you!

No Console Left Behind!
Come join us @ http://vintagehifi.net/

Post subject: Re: 1958? Magnavox 1-SR276F AM/FM Stereo + Companion Speaker
PostPosted: Mar Sat 22, 2014 1:48 am 

I have the Sams for the amp and can send a scan. Probably have the tuner, but I'll need the chassis number. Early ones were CR-xxx, later ones something like 57-02. tbavis(at)rochester(dot)rr(dot)com

PostPosted: Mar Sat 22, 2014 11:22 pm 

Wow, that is in exceptional condition. Be careful cleaning the yellow corrosion - the chassis and other metal parts may be cadmium plated. I was not aware Magnavox used cadmium plating but I have seen similar corrosion on Fisher chassis which were definitely cadmium plated.

I believe your Belvedere and companion speaker are from the 1959 model year. Here is link to an AK thread of mine, (see post #3, second entry,) which has all the models from what I believe is a '59 Magnavox catalog along with corroborating evidence from other dated advertising.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... ost2239745

PostPosted: Mar Wed 26, 2014 12:49 am 

I made a little progress on the console today... I got the Amp chassis and radio tuner out of the unit.

I still can't make out the model number on the amp. best I can tell it's AMP 175 BB

The underside looks like it just rolled off the line....

The Radio Chassis is another story... the numbers stamped on it are RO 55 20 00 it's marked this way in 2 places.

It's also covered in the same yellow oxidation and the tuner is indeed frozen solid.

There is no information at all on this model on the RadioMuseum.org website.

Thanks to Tom I have a copy of the schematic for the Amp!

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Mar Wed 26, 2014 1:11 am 

On the back side of the Amp chassis is stamped in ink 8 38 2 does this number have any significance??

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Mar Thu 27, 2014 1:37 am 

Often with Magnavox one has to use documentation similar to their item. In your case the link below is for SAMS 441-9. A few of the 55 Series radio chassis numbers are x-ref to it. Unless you get some Magnavox Service Data it will have to suffice.
See what you think.
Bill J.

https://app.box.com/s/a7rh4c70t0im0oqn409k

PostPosted: Mar Thu 27, 2014 8:17 am 

Thanks Bill... Ill have a look and do some comparisons.

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Apr Wed 02, 2014 7:18 am 

Made an interesting discovery today while cleaning out the inside of the companion speaker and preparing to clean the corrosion off of the speaker cages.

I was wipping down the inside of the cabinet and along with a bunch of obvious notes written by the craftsman that built the cabinet there is a date stamped towards the front on the right side that reads Nov 20 1958 :!:

I'll try to get some pictures with my good camera tomorrow. :D

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Apr Wed 02, 2014 11:02 am 

Harbourmaster wrote:
On the back side of the Amp chassis is stamped in ink 8 38 2 does this number have any significance??

I think this is a date code meaning 2nd day of week 38 1958 = about mid Sept 1958. That's pretty close to your cabinet date.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 03, 2014 2:59 am 

alright here's the writing on the inside of the speaker cabinet.... most of it appears to be notes from the cabinet maker.

Attachment:
IMG_0171.JPG
IMG_0171.JPG [ 166.99 KiB | Viewed 4192 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0172.JPG [ 152.71 KiB | Viewed 4192 times ]

Here along the uper right side just at the front of the cabinet you can see the date stamp!

Attachment:
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG [ 239.17 KiB | Viewed 4192 times ]

And this gives you a little better context of it's placement

Attachment:
IMG_0175.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG [ 178.93 KiB | Viewed 4192 times ]

I'm going to be looking really closely inside my other Maggies to see if I can find similar markings to this one!

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Apr Tue 15, 2014 4:31 pm 

Hi Harbourmaster,

Congratulations on your find. Your Magnavox uses the 175 amp coupled with the 55 tuner, and these were great performers. I know from personal experience, since I own a 1-SR281-F, which is the "Modern Concerto" model from 1959 and is very similar to yours.

Bill is correct about Magnavox service data from this period being somewhat difficult to find. At that time Magnavox was at its peak in audio gear, and were apparently very proud of it--they considered their service data to be "proprietary information" and were very reluctant to release it except to authorized Magnavox service technicians. Some of the amps and a few of the tuners were eventually covered by SAMS, but certainly not all.

Your AMP-175-BB is covered by SAMS Photofact 448-9, dated July 1959, and apparently you already have this.

Your 55-02 radio chassis, as far as I know, was never covered by SAMS. But the 55-series tuners (55-01 and 55-02) were covered in Magnavox Service Manual 1328. I have a copy which was given to me by Jason Neill about 12 years ago when I was restoring my Magnavox. Jason worked for Magnavox for about 20 years, and was a great source of help to me. I will be glad to send you a copy, but it will have to be a Xerox copy via USMail since I have no way to scan it.

By the way, the record changer in your Magnavox is the Collaro "Conquest", made in England. Magnavox called it the "K200" changer, and it is a fantastic piece of equipment, in my opinion one of the best automatic record changers ever made. It is covered in SAMS 408-6, dated August 1958. Uses an EV26 cartridge.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 16, 2014 6:22 am 

Hi Poston and thanks for your input!

The Sams that I have is set 441 Folder 9 (not the 448-9) which is not the exact chassis that are in this unit. they are close but not identical showing chassis 51-01 with the dual 5Y3GT rectifiers but my chassis uses a single 5AU4 rectifier tube.

A copy of the correct schematic would be most welcome, I will send you a PM with my mailing address.

Again thank you for the info on the record changer as I had not been able to figure it out up to this point.

No Console Left Behind!

PostPosted: Apr Thu 17, 2014 3:47 pm 

Harbourmaster,

I am sending the service data out to you today (see my PM).

PostPosted: Jan Sat 31, 2015 2:41 pm 

Hello, I am new to this site and stumbled across it after I recently inherited my great grandmother's Magnavox 1-SR276F. I don't have the companion speaker and right now the unit doesn't seem to work. My mother seems to think it may only need tube replacement. I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight on this and maybe some tips on restoring/ cleaning. I am a record collector but have only ever had modern day units to play from. I am excited to see if I can get this unit up and running because from what I hear from people is the sound is amazing and like nothing else. Any info is appreciated! Thank you!

Felix

PostPosted: Dec Mon 07, 2015 7:53 pm 

Hello, I have the 1SR276F, It has all the original parts and sounds incredible. How much does a player like this go for?

PostPosted: Dec Tue 08, 2015 3:56 pm 

Wow, what a find. Please keep us posted on it's resurrection. I bet you can't wait to fire it up!!

PostPosted: Apr Fri 29, 2016 5:23 am 

My in-laws have this exact radio and are looking to sell it. We were curious what the value is of it? All it needs is a needle for the record player. Any idea where we could find one of those? Any help would be most appreciated!! Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Jan Tue 10, 2017 5:07 pm 

i have this same stereo can i please get all that same info from someone?