Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 22, 2017 12:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sony all in one Goodwill find
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 2:49 am 

I saw this at the local goodwill for only 6 bucks , figured it would be a good winter restoration project ,it is a model HMK-229, I believe it was made between 78 - 80. The cassette motor was shot and the BSR turntable was frozen solid, also replaced the fuse type lights on the dial, it plays good, only thing I can't figure out is the treble, bass, and balance controls do nothing? I searched the web for any info on this model and found pictures and a YT video, they all show it having 2 - SW bands , mine does not have SW, were there different versions for the European market?
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Sony all in one Goodwill find
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:05 am 

Not to be too obvious, but does this model have a Tone Defeat switch? A lot of gear from that era would let you jump straight over the tone stack with a button.

If I recall correctly some of the budgety Sony gear had the tone controls in the output feedback network. Might need a few new electrolytic caps.

Post subject: Re: Sony all in one Goodwill find
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:40 pm 

I was thinking the same , there are no switches to override the tone circuits, the controls do run back to the amplifier board and I can see a couple electrolytic's are failing as the tops are starting to bulge up. what I was trying to research is there is a small metal shorting pin placed in a jack at the rear and it looks like a input of some kind also runs to the amp, but if I pull the shorting pin out there is no difference either. I found owners manuals on line for this but they are asking way more for them than I could ever get out of the set , so guess I will address the caps and call it good...
Thanks