Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: mid-30s Auburn/Lafayette amp
PostPosted: Nov Wed 01, 2017 12:28 am 

This old amp found its way to my workbench. Says "Auburn" by Wholesale Radio Service Co (Lafayette). Not sure if Auburn is the model name. 83-V rectifier, 2A5 output, and 57 preamp. Has a 5-pin speaker connector, a phones jack, and 3 terminals that might be some other output method. There's a choke under the chassis but also might have relied on a a field coil as additional filtering.

Fairly simple circuit, but shows signs of several previous repairs. If anyone has a schematic that would be great to confirm cap values and the speaker wiring. I'm still pondering how the speaker connector works. It has an interlock to disconnect the branch when unplugged. It also appears to be part of the B+ chain in several ways.

Would also be interested in any info on this in general. Assuming it's not extremely rare, I think my friend may want me to make any modifications necessary to run it with a PM speaker so he can actually use it as a guitar amp. Will discuss options with him.

Album of photos here: https://imgur.com/a/N0HS2

Post subject: Re: mid-30s Auburn/Lafayette amp
PostPosted: Nov Tue 07, 2017 2:07 am 

I don't see an output transformer, that thing in the upper right corner is too small to be one (as well as being in an illogical place for one). Perhaps the speaker had an output transformer mounted on it as well as a field coil. That could easily explain why "it also appears to be part of the B+ chain in several ways".