Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 1:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I need assistance identifying my Zenith Console for repair
PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 12:11 am 

I'm looking for the user guide/owners manual and can't positively Identify my Zenith. I hoping someone out there can. Here is the information provided on the back of the cabinet:

Phono S-5323
Model C921
Chassis: 21BT34
Amp. .37
60Hz

Stamped Black Ink = 604H06

After my most recent move my record player stopped working. I am able to get the system to play and light up on AM / FM / AFC. However, when I switch the system to PHONO nothing lights up and the record player does not turn. I believe I have identified the issue as not being the power supply cable that connects from the power supply to the record player; however the female power port /switch combo on the record player itself. The power female port located below the record player has a switch that toggles between on / off / reset when the dial is moved on the player which is a Zenith Solid State. Any help on where I can find this replacement part or help hard wiring this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: I need assistance identifying my Zenith Console for repa
PostPosted: Nov Fri 10, 2017 5:55 pm 

If you haven’t already done so, you might try cleaning the switch with contact cleaner and exercising it a bit.

Service information for Zenith chassis 21BT34 is found in Sams Photofact set 1190, folder 6. This covers multiple Zenith models from B907M-1 through B929DE/P. Minor service information and adjustments for the changer are listed on the front page of that folder. Full service information on a similar phono changer is listed in Sams Photofact set 797, folder 7. It may or may not have your particular phono/radio switch and wiring.

Unfortunately both of those Sams sets are still under copyright so I cannot scan them for you. You might find a copy for sale on eBay. Also look for your model on Radio Museum.Org.

Post subject: Re: I need assistance identifying my Zenith Console for repa
PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 2:04 am 

Those switches are well known for breaking, they were giving problems when the sets were still fairly new. Unfortunately they haven't been made in years but please check with Gary Stork who handles VM changer parts as I think there may be an option to rebuild a broken one if you have all the parts of it. Others say they have been successful transplanting the earlier generation of metal body switch onto those newer changers as well.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.