Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 16, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: AcoustiCraft / Jensen Speaker Questions
PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 3:37 pm 

hello folks,

I picked up this minty AcoustiCraft speaker at a local indoor flea. it has a beautiful 12" Jensen coaxial speaker and the big metal bell magnet cover with all the decals, labels, and Jensen stickers on it.

I have it hooked up to an RCA SHF amplifier and it sounds absolutely wonderful.

the only thing that I was a bit disappointed in is that it is a 16 ohm speaker until I hooked it up.

to my surprise that eased my disappointment, it is quite sensitive and loud for running it as a 16 ohm load on an amp designed for a 4 ohm load. due to its sensitivity (I guess) one would think it is a perfectly matched 4 ohm speaker to my vintage amps.

anyway, can anyone tell me about this speaker ? were they part of a complete hifi system ? were they sold as extension speakers ?

it has no model number other than the label on the magnet bell "Jensen Coaxial Speaker" or something like that.

I would guess that it is from the 50's.

any information will be greatly appreciated. it was absolutely well worth the $10.60 with tax that I paid. I am extremely happy with the price, the minty condition, and the performance of this purchase.

it is built very well. it is solid and heavy.

the bit of discoloration that is on the grill is from some of the 'dupe' from the cone. it trudged downward over the years and settled in the grill --the only imperfection :( .

steve

Attachments:
SAM_1995.JPG
SAM_1995.JPG [ 126.28 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]
SAM_1999.JPG
SAM_1999.JPG [ 130.84 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]
SAM_2000.JPG
SAM_2000.JPG [ 119.37 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]
SAM_2002.JPG
SAM_2002.JPG [ 110.8 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]
SAM_2003.JPG
SAM_2003.JPG [ 120.31 KiB | Viewed 518 times ]

Post subject: Re: AcoustiCraft / Jensen Speaker Questions
PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 5:39 pm 

That was a good score. You took a bit of a gamble buying that without testing it. Not likely you have a battery in your pocket.

16ohms means you could add a smaller speaker in parallel, which reduces the overall impedance, but don't ask me how much. The formula is out there.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 8:55 pm 

thanks. i guess if one bought two and put them in parallel, that would be 8 ohms, four in parallel would be 4 ohms.

then again, a lot of hifi amps had multiple taps on the opt transformer for various configurations. some of my big hifi amps have 4, 8, 16, and 32 ohm taps.

steve

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 9:05 pm 

Does it look like any of these?

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=jensen+coaxial+speaker

PostPosted: Nov Sat 11, 2017 9:51 pm 

similar to this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Jensen-K210-ST ... Sw3h1ZS-h2

i do know this: it sounds fantastic for that classic vintage HiFi tube audio tone.

very happy

:D

steve

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 1:02 am 

Good to know. I have one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-University-312-12-inch-3-WAY-tri-axial-speaker/382274283433?hash=item590152a7a9:g:s8kAAOSwa81Z~0uL

Now I can't wait to build a cab for it and hook it up! :)

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 1:34 am 

IIRC Acousticraft sold speaker cabinets. In the 1950s you'd go to a hi-fi store and buy a cabinet of your choice and a speaker of your choice, then you would install the speaker into the cabinet yourself. This was no doubt part of a decent mono hi-fi system.

This looks like a bass-reflex enclosure. Driven from a 4-ohm tap it might be somewhat over-damped, losing some bass. You should really try it with an amplifier with a 16-ohm tap. Also the RCA amplifier will not be thrilled about a 16-ohm load, don't turn it up too loud to prevent high voltage across the output transformer primary.

-David

PostPosted: Nov Sun 12, 2017 4:27 am 

yes, i considered the damping factor.

thanks for all the information.

steve

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 4:26 pm 

If you don't have a tube amp with a 16 ohm output you can either have Edcor make a transformer with a 4 and 8 ohm primary and a 16 ohm secondary or if you are just going to use one amp with the speaker find the output transformer primarty impedance and order an Edcor transformer with the correct primary impedance and a 16 ohm secondary.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 5:24 pm 

nope.

i'm not going to modify any of my restored amplifiers or spend the money on a transformer for one orphan 16 ohm speaker. i'm in the process of finding a 4-8 ohm jensen coaxial HiFi driver from the 50's.

i believe i may have one in the works to arrive in a few days...

steve