Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My Next Magnavox
PostPosted: Nov Tue 28, 2017 11:45 pm 

I had been wanting one of the stereo consoles for some time now, and one came along at the right time and place and price. There are no end item stickers on it, but it looks just like the brochure illustration for a 1-ST 621 console. I have started to examine the chassis in it, having removed the power supply/amp. The unit is plenty dirty and it has had what looks like stain spilled on the sliding covers, with a weak attempt to wipe it off. If anyone has any ideas to remove some of it, I'd appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: My Next Magnavox
PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 8:45 pm 

I've replaced the capacitors in the amplifier chassis and have started on the receiver. The amp looked like something had spilled on it and saturating the collected dust there. I found it was melted wax runoff from the output transformers. Moving on to the receiver, I removed the dial glass and removed the tape and stiffened cork pads when doing so. I covered the same areas covered by the original tape with electrical tape and used shrink tubing on the hold down tabs to cushion them from the glass.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 9:55 pm 

Are we going to get pictures?

If the cabinet is stained by wood stain spilled on it, I don't think there is much hope for easy removal. It is formulated to soak in. Altho the original finish may have blocked it somewhat.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 12:37 am 

There will be pictures as I get it outside. It is in the garage and I've not been able to get any decent pics just yet. The stuff staining it appears to be have a violet color it can be seen at the lines at the edge of the spill.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 3:28 am 

Hi 19&41,
Not having seen any photos and not being familiar with that specific model number, I can only say this:

On many Magnavox consoles of that era equipped with sliding doors on top, even the very highest-end versions, the sliding doors themselves were not true hardwood veneer plywood, even though the rest of the cabinet was of solid wood and veneered plywood construction. Instead, the sliding panels were often of a photo-finish or plastic-laminated construction over pressed-board material which are often damaged via staining and/or warping beyond repair. But it is fairly easy to replace them. Many restorers have done so using high-quality hardwood-veneer plywood (stained and finished to match the cabinet), or sometimes even with clear or tinted acrylic or true glass with excellent results.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 7:42 pm 

These sliders appear to be veneered at least and have anatural surface graining. Here are some pictures of them.

Attachments:
P1010108.JPG
P1010108.JPG [ 103.41 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]
P1010112.JPG
P1010112.JPG [ 103.96 KiB | Viewed 155 times ]
P1010113.JPG
P1010113.JPG [ 103.42 KiB | Viewed 154 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 6:00 pm 

It's hard to tell from pictures, but I'd start out gentle, and then advance to furniture stripper if necessary. But the veneer looks good from here.

For starters, try alcohol. It might be a latex, water-based product.
If that does nothing, go to Naptha, which is Coleman fuel, or white gas, or mineral spirits.
Lacquer thinner is probably next in line, or a furniture stripper, but you may be looking at a total refinish then.

viewtopic.php?t=95079

Because of the age, it might have a poly finish, which is pretty durable.

You might get chastised for not posting this in the Cabinet Restoration forum. What were you thinking? :lol:

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 7:12 pm 

The veneer has pretty deep graining. Even If I were to find a solvent to remove the heavier staining, I am concerned that there will be some remaining in the surface. Could the staining be removed with the original finish with the use of the right furniture stripper? Or would that cause further problems? I'm just considering any options before committing to one course of action. It has seemed like there used to be so many console disintegrators out there selling pieces parts and portions. It would have been nice to find a set of sliders to re home. I guess it's better there are none.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 10:31 pm 

19&41,
I think westcoastjohn gave you some pretty good advice. With the damage on your sliding panels, you have nothing to lose by experimenting. As westcoastjohn says, go from the the most gentle treatment and advance to the more aggresive solvents, as the case may require. I would certainly not despair at this point; it is entirely possible that you may have success.

If all else fails, you may end up replacing the sliding panels. But this should not be difficult, and believe me you would by no means be the first one to replace the sliding panels of a Magnavox console. Birch-veneer plywood is commonly available at lumber yards and the big-box home-improvement stores, and it has a grain pattern which should be consistent with your Magnavox console. Once the plywood is cut to proper dimensions and its edges sanded and dressed, it is only a matter of transferring the hardware from the original panels to the replacements. Then you can proceed in staining and finishing them to match the rest of the console.

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 10:56 pm 

I'll start on it in the near future, right now, I'm working on the electronics as I get the time to do it. I appreciate the advice. At least the sliders are physically sound to start with. I can't believe the prices they ask for the pulled amplifiers from these. The turntable has sustained some damage to the upper arm that should hold the records horizontal on the spindle. That area will probably be the last area of operations.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 14, 2017 8:04 pm 

My E packet came last evening with the crossover capacitors. they are of the original value.