Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 3:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 1963-64 Motorola Console TT/Stereo Model SKR148CW Help
PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 10:17 pm 

Hello folks. I just picked up a free Motorola Console. I knew that it was not operational, but it is complete. When I plug it in, I can hear a hum. Also, the TT rotates OK. But when any of the function buttons are pushed, it appears that the only thing happening is the light in TT area illuminates and the small light on the front of the cabinet illuminates. I would love ANY help in just getting started. This is a cool little console. It even still has the original payment installment agreement between the original customer and the dealer (Hall Brothers, Inc.)
I am a trained aircraft electrician so I am not completely ignorant about electronics so I will probably understand most of your technical language. But I seriously don't know the first thing about how this thing is powered and I know very little about tubes. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Post subject: Re: 1963-64 Motorola Console TT/Stereo Model SKR148CW Help
PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 12:10 am 

the turntable is connected to the chassis with RCA cable, take the back off and see if its plugged in.
Really, the 1st order of business is to check the capacitors, and then replace them regardless.
There's comfort in knowing it won't explode some time when your playing it. Let alone more damage incurrence.

PostPosted: Nov Thu 30, 2017 12:15 am 

Thanks glue_ru. I will get that going first!

PostPosted: Dec Sat 02, 2017 3:21 am 

Schematic diagrams for the preamp and amp chassis can be found here: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_ ... 97_hs.html

Sams Photofacts probably covered it in more detail, but my files stop in 1963,

PostPosted: Dec Tue 05, 2017 6:40 pm 

One of the Motorola three channel consoles.

Very nice. 8)

You will enjoy the sound of it.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 7:23 pm 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
Here's a link to SAMS 705-8. Just follow the AC cord and you'll see how it is powered. It's a good set.

Bill J.

https://app.box.com/s/hy59bdmh7zehr4tsevenjvoxprffpu30

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 7:12 pm 

My company was a Motorola service agency during that era. Motorola made some great stuff.

Bruce

PostPosted: Dec Wed 13, 2017 6:02 am 

There are fundamental differences between tubes and transistors. Tubes use voltage to do their magic, while transistors do what they do with current.
So your Motorola will have high voltage coming from the power transformer (AC) to the rectifier, possibly silicon diodes, and then to the plates of the tubes (DC). Expect 350 vdc or more.
A tube output needs an output transformer to match the output to the speaker. Never power up the stereo without speakers or dummy loads attached, as this could do serious damage.

To become familiar with the chassis and tubes, I will draw the tube sockets as they appear with the chassis upside down on the bench. Orient the gap or keyway of the socket as it is installed, and label the pins, using either the schematic or tube specs as a guide. I find this helps me to find my way in an unfamiliar circuit. Looking at the underside of the socket, the numbers go clockwise from the keyway or gap.

Remember that after the rectifier, you are measuring DC, what we call the B+. However the other circuit, which supplies the heaters, is AC volts.

Tubes are not like light bulbs, as they are actually pretty rugged and last for many years in some cases. We often see radios with original tubes still installed. The electrolytic capacitors in the power supply need to be replaced now. Smaller caps should also be replaced, but the mica types are usually alright. Check resistors as they can drift off spec. A burnt resistor might be a symptom of a problem elsewhere.

Search these forums for the answers to every question ever asked about restoring tube equipment. One of the beauties of stereo is that you can compare the left side with the right in the case of one weak or dead channel. Good luck.