Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 12:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fabricating replacement turntable dust covers?
PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 10:17 pm 

Many of us have changers/turntables with missing or broken dust covers. Custom-made acrylic dust covers are available from several sources, but can be very expensive since most of these cater to the high-end audiophile market.

I am considering fabricating my own dust cover using clear plexiglass. I have never worked with it before, but since I am a finish carpenter by trade I should have the necessary tools/skills to undertake this. In a recent google search I found several websites with tips for cutting/finishing plexiglass, bending it using heat, etc. I am thinking in terms of a simple lift-off dust cover, not a hinged one.

Has anyone here ever done this? Any ideas or suggestions you might be willing to share?

Post subject: Re: Fabricating replacement turntable dust covers?
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 1:05 am 

I have a custom dust cover for my turntable. The plastic cover is perfectly good, but I still wanted more dust protection and protection of the whole unit from scratches and such. It is made of black vinyl fabric, sort of the stuff that is like furniture covering, or that stuff the custom cover makers for radios use. With no inside cover, you could presumably install a rectangular piece of card stock or plastic to keep the top from sagging. My TT sets out on top of a stereo cabinet and that is why I wanted that made. IF you cannot sew it yourself, or find someone that can sew to a pattern for you, those custom cover guys will make covers to your specs, besides for your radios.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 6:06 pm 

There is a member of this forum who makes beautiful plexiglass covers for his phono collection, but he has not posted for some time. I'll be very interested in what you come up with because I would like to do the same.

-David

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 5:56 pm 

Hi David,
My current thought is to bend a piece of plexiglass as described in the following video: https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click
The fellow who posted this video of his "D-I-Y plexiglass bending machine" constructed it from inexpensive and commonly-available materials, and heats the plexiglass via a nichrome wire connected to a variac. Although I have not yet searched around, the problem could be finding a few feet of 20-gauge nichrome wire at a reasonable price without having to purchase an entire spool.

Once a simple U-shape is bent from clear plexiglass (which would form the top, front and back of the dust cover), I am thinking of enclosing the left- and right-hand sides of the dust cover with thin pieces of black walnut or some other hardwood (maybe about 3/8" thick) with grooves cut in it via a router to fit snugly onto the U-shape plexiglass cover. Thus giving a completely sealed lift-off dust cover. At least that is my idea at this time--but if others have better suggestions I would certainly like to hear them.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 6:36 pm 

A Harbor Freight heat gun is usable for bending ABS plastics and Plexiglass which I believe is acrylic. Of course you have to learn how much heat is enough and how much is too much, but I have made lots of things by that method. Some people just cut rectangles and squares, and glue the joints together which makes a perfectly durable piece but you can see the edges and the joints.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 6:39 pm 

Poston, your idea sounds very elegant. You'll get something furniture-quality. The ones I've seen were much simpler, just cut accurately and glued neatly.

-David

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 7:17 pm 

I used 1/8" Lexan to fabricate a lighting cover for an obsolete range hood. I used a metal shear and a brake to cold bend to a 45 deg angle. Bend was sharp, no crazing, scuffs or hairline cracks. The Lexan has stood up well despite the heat of the stove. The OEM cover was cracked and discolored after 10 years.

Find a way to join or glue corners and a cover of Lexan should look sweet.

Possibly extruded plastic (ABS) corner stock may work? Then a flat sheet of Plexiglass (acrylic) no bending...

Chas

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 7:33 pm 

I wonder if you of those bag sealers would work to focus heat along a 1/8" line for bending.
https://www.amazon.com/Flexzion-400mm-I ... ag+sealing
The weld any seams, a nice bevel cut, glued with correct glue, sand edges to a round.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 11, 2017 12:25 am 

I've seen them make with wood trim or stock ..don't have to bend anything just slot the wood..if two ends was wood you would just need 2 trim pieces

PostPosted: Dec Tue 12, 2017 3:01 am 

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

One of my reasons for undertaking this project is the very high cost of acrylic dust covers in the current marketplace. As just one example, take a look at this website which is typical of many others: http://stereosquares.com/ And bear in mind that the prices quoted there are for replacement dust covers of standard turntables; they will make custom dust covers for vintage turntables at presumably even higher prices. :roll: This company is by no means unique; there are many others offering similar products at equal or even higher prices.

Maybe one of us should hone his skills, invest in a little equipment, and go into the production and marketing of custom turntable dust covers? At $350+ apiece, there is apparently an opportunity to make some money. At least among the audiophile crowd. :)