Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 18, 2017 6:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fisher M Error CD???
PostPosted: Dec Sun 03, 2017 10:54 pm 

I have a Fisher combo am/fm,Cassette, CD Player model TAD-993 dated 1994
Everything works except the cd player. When CD selection is made I can insert a cd, it then
goes into search mode and returns with "M Error"
According to manual it says to dis/and reconnect power to reset which I did several times after
letting it set for about 5 min. but still comes back with same message
Some info I've gathered is that there are 2 motors involved with the operation of which 1 is probably
not working because of a bad gear
I do not have it opened up yet but a few questions come to mind. (1) if it's not the motor gear, what else
could it be and (2) where could you find the replacement motor gear.
Would like to fix as its a fairly nice sounding unit

Post subject: Re: Fisher M Error CD???
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 4:27 am 

Found This if it helps...
On the left side of the turntable is the driver board. There is a memory clear switch at the top near the center. This resets CD unit to NO CD's. If you have CD's in the unit you will have to take them out manually.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 11:01 pm 

I found that memory clear switch but unfortunately pressing didn't help. Not knowing a lot about
the components that operate each function it's kind of a stab in the dark.
When load/unload switch is pressed, it accepts a disc, goes to the #1 position but when "PLAY"
button is pressed it stays in the rack even tho the rollers are moving to draw the disc into the player.
I tried giving the disc a slight bit of help and the disc loaded but then did not spin to be recognized.
I found a service manual on Ebay for $30 but I'm wondering if I'd be smart enough to be able figure out
whats going on

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:57 am 

Can you see the disc spin up or hear any motor noise? Might be a gear tooth busted off, old grease or failed thin ribbonwire connection. Or logic error. I'd be as stumped as you, just giving it a baleful stare hoping to see the obvious.

Might be cheaper in the long run to just sub on any ol' external CD player as an aux input. The all-in-one units are usually made more to a price point than anything. Is it worth the $30 for a manual hoping it would lead somewhere you could reasonably follow and get needed parts? Not real likely if it isn't a simple fix.

-Ed

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:19 pm 

I worked on alot of these back in the day. If its loading the disc onto the table and clamps it but won't spin then try this. Once its loaded give the disc a spin in the clockwise direction. If it spins and starts playing then you have a bad spin motor. If it spins at a very fast speed then unloads you have a bad laser. if you load the disc thru the front slot and hit play and the carousel doesn't turn then the rubber on the rollers underneath the carousel have turned to goo. Also, you can bet that every motor belt is worn out.

Long story short, your cd section is history as these parts have been NLA for years.

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 5:55 am 

My guess -- from the date of the unit -- is the laser pickup is worn out.

They have a lifetime. My old 1992 CD boombox is a great radio now. It stopped playing CDs years ago.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 3:46 am 

From memory m error is mechanical error..in those units that held multiple disk they had a gear felt clutch that the plastic cracked around the metal shaft not gripping enough

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 3:51 am 

dougmc wrote:
From memory m error is mechanical error..in those units that held multiple disk they had a gear felt clutch that the plastic cracked around the metal shaft not gripping enough

You are correct. The disc would not either load from the front or load on to the table. Those became NLA about 10 years ago. It was a very common problem.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 4:26 am 

I'm glad someone else remembered. And of course you have to align the tray to the unit...maybe with these improved super glues can glue it to the shaft. .if memory correct this gear clutch wasn't bigger tha a quarter.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 10, 2017 4:32 am 

More like a nickle. Yep, use something like a straw or long awl to align the carousel through the hole just to the right of disc position 1.