Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 11, 2017 1:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with Motorola SKR155W speaker wiring
PostPosted: Dec Mon 04, 2017 4:29 am 

I picked up this Motorola SKR155W console a couple months back and the cabinet was in great shape, but the insides were pretty disgusting. I pulled everything out and cleaned out a bunch of nasty stuff, and did multiple deep cleanings to eliminate a musty odor. I took some photos before disassembly, but everything was so dirty you literally couldn’t see the color of all the wires. I had a repair shop go over the power supply and stereo, and everything is working great. The only problem is, I keep getting a humming noise that gets louder with time. I don’t think I hooked all the speaker wires up correctly when I put it all back together, and I am not familiar with the way they have it setup since they basically have 11 speakers wired together. I have all the original paperwork with the schematics, but there isn’t any information about how to hook all the speaker wiring up. I’ve searched for photos online, but only found a couple images that were too blurry to help me figure out where the wires go.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,
Andrew

Post subject: Re: Need help with Motorola SKR155W speaker wiring
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 12:53 am 

Location: ZIP 23831 South of Richmond, VA 25 miles down the pike.
"Everything working ok. Hum increases." To rule something else in get just one speaker right, how's the hum. Then maybe another. Your repairman may need to revisit. Nevertheless here's a link to SAMS data I believe you can follow.
Bill J.

https://app.box.com/s/j8cceps3mc1tm4u0ykvvwuwd807679rd

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 2:45 am 

An increasing hum condition is most likely caused within the power supply, not the speakers. All of the filter caps and coupling caps should have already been replaced. If not, there's a good chance you could fry the power transformer along with other components. You might check with the repair shop to find out exactly what was - or wasn't - replaced. Filter caps can be working one minute, then suddenly develop an arc short, and BLAM - they can literally explode. A knowledgeable tech should be all too familiar with that scenario . . .

Nice unit, by the way. The center channel amp is rather uncommon - - it should be a good sounding unit when properly (safely!) restored.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 2:59 am 

SparkyDan wrote:
An increasing hum condition is most likely caused within the power supply, not the speakers. All of the filter caps and coupling caps should have already been replaced. If not, there's a good chance you could fry the power transformer along with other components. You might check with the repair shop to find out exactly what was - or wasn't - replaced. Filter caps can be working one minute, then suddenly develop an arc short, and BLAM - they can literally explode. A knowledgeable tech should be all too familiar with that scenario . . .

Nice unit, by the way. The center channel amp is rather uncommon - - it should be a good sounding unit when properly (safely!) restored.

Dan

The shop went through everything, and it was sounding great hooked up to their speakers on the bench. The problem is, I took the power supply and tuner out while I was cleaning the console, and to have them go through it, but I brought it home and hooked it all up myself. I am not familiar with this type of stereo, and having all 11 speakers wired together, so I believe that's where the problem lies. I don't think it's hooked up or grounded properly. I was hoping to be able to have them come out and set it all up for me so I don't have to lug this thing back and forth.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:11 am 

NumberMaj 1 wrote:
"Everything working ok. Hum increases." To rule something else in get just one speaker right, how's the hum. Then maybe another. Your repairman may need to revisit. Nevertheless here's a link to SAMS data I believe you can follow.
Bill J.

https://app.box.com/s/j8cceps3mc1tm4u0ykvvwuwd807679rd

Thanks for the link. I have the original owners manual, which has quite a bit of information, schematics for power supply and amp, but nothing for speaker wiring. I'm not experienced with reading schematics, so I could be wrong, but I couldn't find speaker wiring information in those pages.

I'm guessing they assumed people wouldn't undo speaker wiring or would keep track of what goes where. I attempted to do that by taking photos, but everything was so dirty, I can't tell what colors went where.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 3:16 pm 

"Thanks for the link. I have the original owners manual, which has quite a bit of information, schematics for power supply and amp, but nothing for speaker wiring. I'm not experienced with reading schematics, so I could be wrong, but I couldn't find speaker wiring information in those pages."

Freeborn - - the schematics in that link actually detail the exact wiring for all of the speakers - including proper phasing. However, it doesn't specify the actual colors going to each of the 11 speakers, since the factory probably used whatever color wire they had the most of. Someone with a basic understanding of schematics should be able to quickly sort it out for you. Once you observe how it's done, you'll probably have no trouble figuring out similar problems in the future. I think you'll be surprised how easy it actually is!

Best of luck -
Dan