Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 10:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bell and Howell Filmosound
PostPosted: Jul Mon 09, 2018 7:44 pm 

Just curious if any of you have worked on one of these before. I have an opportunity to pick one up for about $50 with shipping. It appears to be a late 40s model, and is in unknown working condition. But it is intact, and aesthetically in workable shape. I will probably make it into a harp or guitar amp if I get it. What is your experience with them?

Post subject: Re: Bell and Howell Filmosound
PostPosted: Jul Tue 10, 2018 12:24 am 

I have a lot of experience with these, but only to repair them for continued use as a 16mm sound projector, not for conversion into something else. Beware -- some of these had a hot chassis which makes them unusable for any other purpose.

-David

PostPosted: Jul Tue 10, 2018 12:31 am 

dberman51 wrote:
Beware -- some of these had a hot chassis which makes them unusable for any other purpose.
I think I saw a power transformer, but I will make sure before I make a patch cord of doom.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 10, 2018 3:19 am 

The term "Filmosound" can apply to literally hundreds of different Bell & Howell 16mm sound projectors made between 1932 and 1989. What is the exact model number? Then I can tell you when it was made.

Be careful though with any late 1940's thru 1962 models as some models were issued with both hot chassis amplifiers and normal power transformer amplifiers even within the same projector model number! It all depended upon what the original projector purchaser wanted/could afford when the projector was originally ordered from the factory.

The amplifier will usually (but not always) have a nameplate next to the power cord connector with the amplifier "design number" (model number in reality) on it. Sometimes there was no nameplate and the factory simply rubber stamped the design number on the chassis in black ink either on the side or top of the chassis. Typically, the design number consisted of 5 digits such as # 05311 as an example.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 10, 2018 3:56 am 

Well, I was just outbid by a lot more than I am willing to go with so many unknowns.