Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 24, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where are you hearing old time radio?
PostPosted: Feb Fri 26, 2016 10:08 pm 

"He's actually just found a new host, although it doesn't appear to work on my Mac and the iOS app was a disaster. I'm sure they'll be going of business soon and who knows where he'll go then. http://ratpatrolradio-wartimetunes-.playtheradio.com"

This is what I get at that url where one expects the player to be;
"Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept cookies."

PostPosted: Feb Mon 29, 2016 9:01 pm 

OK. I've been listening to Old Time Radio USA for quite a while now, and it's starting to get repetitive. With all that content out there, isn't it possible to not have to play the same Bing Crosby bit every other day, or same Burns and Allen 3 times a week?

I like the mix of music and shows, but good grief....I can hear the same stuff over and over on modern radio stations! :lol:

PostPosted: Mar Wed 02, 2016 5:29 pm 

My brother got me hooked on old time radio shows about seven years ago. I used to listen to shows with Shoutcast before that shut down. But now I can't do internet radio, I don't like not having control of what shows / episodes I am listening to. Now when I'm in the car I listen to the few shows that are on Spotify.com and when I'm at home or work I listen on Oldtimerad.io since they have more of my favorites.

PostPosted: Mar Sun 13, 2016 5:21 pm 

Found a new one that I really enjoy: http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk

They also have a 1950s station: http://www.1940sukradio.co.uk/otherstation/1950sradio/

PostPosted: Apr Sat 09, 2016 1:43 am 

Http://yesterdayusa.com

PostPosted: Sep Thu 01, 2016 10:47 pm 

WBBM, Chicago. 12o'clock, midnight CST. "When Radio Was", a one hour show every weeknight. I listen to it almost every night. Another place to go, while not radio, is http://www.internetarchive.org. They have almost every radio show of every type produced. You can download them and save to disk, too.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 14, 2016 3:44 am 

Hey friends,

If you are looking for a place to listen to old time radio regularly, I have started two Old Time Radio podcasts. "This Day in Jack Benny" and "Theater of Thrills". You can listen on iTunes just search by title. Check it out.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 12, 2016 3:22 am 

Back in the 1900's (middle 1970's to be more specific), I was listening to 4-track open reel tapes from Gary Dudash.
Sometimes CFZM comes in reasonably clear, but I get in about 8-10 hours of OTR from a set of 84 DVDs full, much of it loaded onto my iPod Classic set on shuffle.
Arthur Godfrey is on right now, with guest star Danny Kaye.

Bob

PostPosted: Oct Sat 29, 2016 8:40 pm 

Was looking for more ww2 news broadcasts and found this link with lots of olde tyme radio shows, news, and so on;
http://www.oldradioworld.com/
http://www.spwaw.com/radio/

my apologies if previously posted

PostPosted: Nov Fri 18, 2016 5:17 am 

hi
i do not have old time radio, but i love old time radio and listen old time radio in internet.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 28, 2016 1:13 am 

Randy Brian "Forward Into the Past"

http://www.kspc.org/

Or 88.7 if in the greater Los Angeles sphere of influence.
Sundays 2-5 Pacific

PostPosted: Dec Sat 03, 2016 11:30 am 

Lately I've been broadcasting KMIN coutnry around the house. I stream it with the TuneIn app on an old unused smart phone and feed the headphone jack to the input on our Talking House 5.0. I hear KMIN over actual radio when we're out at our backcountry vacation place (which is about 125 miles south of our home, out in the boonies), but they turn their power down to 250 watts at night so often fade out about then.

KMIN is a "modern" live AM station out of Grants, New Mexico that plays mostly classic country, and I mean going back to the early day. Bob Wills, Moon Mullican, Lefty Frizzell, Hank Snow, etc. interspersed with newer stuff. It has an "old time" feel. With local news and commercials, and "bumpers" made over the years. Grants was once a bustling town during the uranium mining days, and must have been quite a radio market. They play "bumpers" touting the station made by Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton, Roy Clark, and a bunch of country stars of the 60's, 70's and early 80's. Some of the DJ's sound like they've been around forever. The morning guy, Barry Lee, plays a lot of very old time country music, and is very opinionated. He's apparently also the account guy for the station, according to their website. He gives the station a lot of personality you don't hear much on radio these days. As far as I can tell, it's DJ/Music portions are all "live" radio with real local jockeys, nothing syndicated. Sundays they have local pastors on doing "church". I don't remember if it's Tuesdays or Wednesdays, but for a couple hours in the late morning a local fellow plays traditional New Mexico music with a Hispanic/Mexican flair. Seasonally you might tune in to a local high school football or basketball game at night, or Lobos football. It's the real deal.

The same outfit that owns KMIN also owns KDSK, which is an oldies rock station with the same old time radio flair and personality. It's format and style sounds like it comes right out of about 1965-1970, though they'll throw in some 80's music from time to time. I've listened to it over the air when we're traveling to and from our backcountry place. It's on TuneIn also but I haven't broadcast it around the house yet. It's another station with a lot of personality. I don't know who they got to sing their bass/baritone "KDSK 92.7" jingle, but it always makes me smile.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 03, 2016 2:00 pm 

On Saturday evenings there is usually a 2 hour program of swing/jazz/bebop that is also streamed. The start and end times are sometimes off by 1 or 2 minutes, so be patient. It can be worth it. The times are eastern.

https://www.wrek.org/desoto/

PostPosted: Jan Fri 27, 2017 2:21 pm 

Wisconsin public radio system in Madison Wi has repeater transmitters that cover most of the state and into the surrounding states. Almost all of it is on FM but they have one AM station. They are celebrating their 100th year this year. Their programing is also available on the net. Every Sat and Sun night from 8:00 to 11:00 they broadcast vintage radio shows from the 30s to the 60s. Lately they are even performing NEW live radio dramas in front of a live audience.

PostPosted: Mar Fri 17, 2017 10:47 pm 

Yeah, The Prairie Home Companion Show. I listened to that a lot down in milwaukee until the long time host Garrison Keillor died/retired? last year. I haven't tuned in since. Maybe I'll give it another listen this weekend with the new host.

PostPosted: Apr Sat 01, 2017 2:52 am 

Garrison is still with us, just retired. Our NPR station didn't even air the last PHC.
No idea of what the new host is like, but if its the guy who took over a few shows last year, I wouldn't even bother. None of the skits, no Lake Wobegon, and this guy was doing rap on a banjo.

Bob

PostPosted: Apr Sat 01, 2017 4:18 am 

Here is another music program of the older Jazz recordings. It is streamed so you can play it and have a Saturday evening like the grownups used to have in the good old days.

http://news.wabe.org/programs/jazz-classics-h-johnson

PostPosted: Apr Wed 12, 2017 10:39 am 

After listening to some radios I figured out the best for me is 20th Century Radio OTR

PostPosted: May Wed 03, 2017 1:19 pm 

I listen online at the yYoutube Channel: NewThinkable
Good selection, audio-enhanced OTR and audiobooks

PostPosted: Jun Sun 18, 2017 8:53 pm 

KXEL 1540kHz, 50,000 watt station from Waterloo, Iowa plays their "KXEL Classic Radio Theater" Saturdays 6:00 p.m. - Midnight.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 60 posts ]  Moderator: Mike Wheat Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3