Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Wed 20, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Missing Radio Shows from The Zenith Laboratory......?In the
PostPosted: Oct Mon 12, 2015 4:56 am 

In the book by Dr. Harold Cones, John Bryant, FAIA and Martin Blankenship, Zenith The Glory years, 1936-1945 History and Products (published by Schiffer Books), toward the back of the book there is a long (with many photographs) article under Appendix II entitled “McDonald’s Experiments in the Paranormal” (the article runs from pages 183 to 187 in the book) which discusses this special Radio Show produced at the Zenith Corporation, and specifically talks about the Radio Show The Zenith Laboratory (I assume to be the name) which ran on the NBC Blue Network starting Sept. 5, 1937 at 10 P. M. EST, evidently broadcasting from Chicago, although it does indicate the Shortwave aspect of the program was Broadcast from Commander MacDonald’s private yacht, “The Mizpah". The Show with Zenith had a contract with the NBC Blue Network to run for 52 weeks.

The Show was billed as "A NEW, different kind Of Radio Program” and also “PREPARE YOURSELF FOR A BRAND NEW IDEA IN RADIO ENTERTAINMENT”. From the posters of the Zenith Radio Show shown in this book in Black and White photographs, the Radio show was Broadcast Nationally, as a map is shown with arrows directing the Broadcast was in all 48 States and Broadcast from Chicago. Dr. Cones in this above mentioned Zenith book stated much of the information they were able to obtain was from the Personal files of Commander MacDonald of Zenith in 1994.

Does anybody out there know if any of these transcription discs of The Zenith Radio Laboratory Radio Program still exist, and if so, are they available on DVD?

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Nov Sat 21, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Missing Radio Shows from The Zenith Laboratory......?In
PostPosted: Nov Fri 13, 2015 6:57 pm 

The title of that series was The Zenith Foundation and ran until December on NBC (Red?) then Commander McDonald opted to move it to CBS due to a better selection of stations that provided a higher market share of ratings. It went off the air in March 1938.

I know of only one surviving recording--the program of October 17, 1937. I have it on CD, but I had it dubbed to CD by Jerry Heandiges (spelling?) years ago. His website is:

http://www.otrsite.com/

Quite an interesting sketch of the Albers brothers' Wincharger development (the one I have) was presented in the first half of the program of October 17th, followed by telepathy experiments in the latter half. The Zenith advertising was minimal, believe it or not!

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2015 4:46 am 

Good Evening Martin,

Thanks for the information and I will email the person from whom you got the CD from some time back. I briefly looked at his site and will read it more fully at a later time, but wanted to get this off to you first.

I have purchased a good many CD's of various Old Time Radio Shows from Radio Archives out of Spokane, Washington. They have a big selection of these older Radio Programs, and have cleaned them up to amazing clarity and more-so than other companies from which I have purchased these Radio Shows. Plus they have a very unique selection of Radio Programs to choose from, including a large boxed set of one entire Radio's program from a day in 1939, and also 2 boxed sets of News information relating to D-Day and other events during WWII, broadcast by Edward R. Murrow, Eric Sevareid, and other well-know news reporters of the time. Radio Archives has cleaned up the old transcriptions discs and they are now clearer today (on their CD's or computer Downloads) than when these Radio Programs were originally broadcast, depending on how close one may have been to a transmitting station. If anyone is interested, Radio Archives is listed on the Internet and comes up under that name out of Spokane, Washington. Their Radio Programs are more expensive that other such companies, but they do not put any of their Radio Shows on the MP3 format, and only use the regular CD speed, as the quality is so much better. Their quality is well worth the extra money as opposed to the MP3 formats which are very inexpensive and more readily available.

I called and talked with Radio Archives when ordering, and mentioned this program put out by Commander MacDonald President of Zenith during the years you mentioned. They had never heard of the Radio Programs put out by Zenith, but seemed interested in possibly getting the original transcription discs, and work their magic on them. I recommend them highly for anyone desiring to get some of the Old Time Radio Shows, as the clarity is amazing, and works well with an iPod, Sony Walkman or an AM Transmitter for use on the older Radios if they have an RCA Jack in place or one that has been added. As I mentioned, if one desires they also sell Downloads to a computer which cost less than the actual CD's.

It seems Commander MacDonald was interested in the paranormal and the staff working of this Zenith Radio Program sent out cards to interested listeners and had the results tabulated through the Psychology Department at Duke University. I have read where these Zenith cards are sometimes on Ebay, but I occasionally check and have not seen any listed. I would imagine they come up rarely. I assume that gave such a topic more credibility! Anyway, it would be interesting to hear them, and especially so if Commander MacDonald ever spoke on any of the shows. I did notice on Youtube a former employee of Zenith in Chicago and wrote a comment to his video in this regard. He was not aware of the program, but did state he would take with some of the older Zenith employees still alive and see if they remember anything about them.

The Zenith book with this article about the Show in it does indicate that much of what was obtained about Zenith's History was obtained from the personal files of Commander MacDonald that were found and examined in the early 1990's. There was no information of any transcription discs found of this show, but if this person you mention had one program, perhaps there are others.

Heads up for the information you provided in your comment, and I will get in contact with this person, and see what he may still have to offer.

Richard Davis McLeod

PostPosted: Nov Wed 18, 2015 6:00 am 

Martin,

I did leave a phone message for Jerry Haendiges on his impressive Internet site. He lives in Whittier, CA according to the information on his Internet site.

I have been using Bruce Westoby in City of Orange to repair the Radios I have, specifically and primarily the Herbert Horn Tiffany Tone Radios I have been able to locate. I have also dealt somewhat with Jerry Headley from Yorba Linda, California. He once had an actual brick and mortar Store in the small old Town of Yorba Linda, but it is closed down now. It was very interesting as the Store was set up like a Zenith Store would have looked years back, even down to the Neon Zenith signs in the window, and a Zenith rug as you entered the Store.

I have made comments on another with this Forum in regards to Herbert Horn and Tiffany Tone Radios, and need to update some photographs, but have had a problem with my photos since having purchased a new computer. :( Seems it is not compatible with my camera, and I am trying to figure out how to get my photographs uploaded as it is not working with the equipment I currently am using. I only have 4 Tiffany Tone Radios, but 2 of them are fairly unique and hopefully I can get the photographs up shortly. One of them was repaired by Bruce Westoby in City of Orange and it works great, as he added an RCA jack so I can play my CD's through a Sony Walkman on the Tiffany Tone Radio. :D The Shortwave reception is very good on the Radios I have he has repaired for me.

I did ask Jerry Haendiges to contact me in regards to obtaining the one program of The Zenith Foundation they do have among their many listings.

Thanks a great deal for this resource.

Richard Davis McLeod

PostPosted: Nov Thu 19, 2015 1:52 am 

Hi Martin,

I contacted Jerry Haendiges by leaving a telephone message last night, and he called me today. I had looked at his site (which can be found under his name and the LINK you sent me) and it is quite impressive. He called me by telephone today, and I was able to put in an order for the one program he has of The Zenith Laboratory that he offers in addition to another Radio Program I had been looking for and unable to find. He was very pleasant and we had a good conversation.

I mentioned your name and it suddenly dawned on me you are the Martin Blankenship, one of the Authors of the Zenith books, and the one I have with the article on this Radio Show mentioned in it. I have very much enjoyed looking and reading your book. I have one restored Zenith Console and it is pictured in your book. My Console is the Model 9S 369 with your name under the photograph. I very much enjoy listening to that Radio with its' shutter dial and its' "Magic Green Eye". Here is thanking you and your co-authors for a very good job in putting out these invaluable Zenith books. :D

I noticed much of the material came from the personal files of Commander MacDonald. Were these files still in his very elaborate office at the Zenith Plant in Chicago? There is a very good photograph of his Office, with a Zenith Chairside Radio in the room. From what I have read in the, the Chairside Models were Commander MacDonald's favorite and a style he felt would become quite popular. For his time period, it was a very desirable style, as people were more relaxed, and lived calmer therefore being able to sit in a Chair or on a Sofa with a Chairside at the far end making it easy for operation while sitting in a Chair. Sadly that concept is not popular these days, with the fast paced lives most people live, but I can understand Commander MacDonald's thinking in regards to the Chairside style.

I assume Robert Davol Budlong designed the Chairside Radios, and others until his untimely death in 1954. Oddly, Commander MacDonald died just three years later in 1957. Their loss was enough for a dramatic change at the Zenith Corporation, although it took a while before their loss was probably truly felt. Are there any listings as to what Budlong actually designed himself, as opposed to what may have been designed by his staff at Zenith during his tenure there.

I have one Chairside Radio, Model 8S 548 Ch= 8A02 (pre war) (1940). It belonged to a friend's family who left it to me. I have had the electronics upgraded, and it does need additional work on the Cabinet wood, but does have its' original wooden wheels and grill cloth. I did have to replace the ON/OFF knob, as the original had cracked. The original color was a dark brown, but I was only able to get a creme colored reproduction one. It plays quite well, and has very good reception both on AM the the Shortwave bands. The grill cloth is in good shape for its' age and I haven't been able to find the exact reproduction design among the many that are currently offered.

It seems most of this information from Commander MacDonald's personal files were obtained in the early 1990's from what I read in your book. Were the personal files still in his office he had used at the Zenith Headquarters in Chicago or had they been moved to another location? Also, was there any information as to The Zenith Laboratory Radio Show, or possibly any transcription discs still there? I do check on Ebay occasionally hopefully to find the Zenith Cards that were sent out to listeners at the time, but haven't seen any as of yet.

Jerry Haendiges did indicate he would mail out the one program he had and another Radio Program I also ordered. He did state that was the only program he had of The Zenith Laboratory, and did not mention any further information as to how he obtained what he had, so hopefully some if not all of the Programs can eventually be found. I wonder if Commander MacDonald ever spoke on any of the programs? If so, that would be quite interesting.

Thanks for your book and comments on this Forum.

Richard Davis McLeod

Last edited by ZenithStratosphere on Nov Sat 21, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2015 5:30 pm 

Richard,
Thanks for your compliments! This is a fun hobby--both collecting radios--and researching Zenith Radio Corporation.

Commander McDonald's files were sealed, probably shortly after his death in 1958, then moved and stored in one of the factories, perhaps up on a mezzanine of some sort, because I recall John Bryant telling of the layers of dirt and pigeon poop atop these cabinets. McDonald's kayak was also stored with these.

I believe that those files were probably not opened until around 1992. John Bryant and Harold Cones made a Chicago trip to Zenith, searching for material to use for their Transoceanic radio book. They had not found much information that wasn't already publicly circulated and were preparing to go back home when somebody mentioned a sealed cache of files and other items belonging to Commander McDonald. The Radio Professors hit the jackpot and the rest is history!

I don't know if Commander McDonald ever made an appearance on this Foundation series (I have yet to hear any record of his voice), but I know that several of his friends and associates appeared. I believe that Gutzon Borglum, Carveth Wells, and Commander Donald B. MacMillan, among others, appeared on the show to share their experiences in ESP. Somewhere, I have photocopies of a couple of scripts that I found online.

On the subject of Budlong, I am sure that he designed the bezels and dials for most, if not all of the Zenith radios in that era. He may have designed some of the cabinets, but I also know that Jack DeYoung also designed many other Zenith cabinets. There are also cabinets designed by others, such as Zenith's "Zephyr" cabinets of the 1937-1938 lines, designed by John Stevens, a member of Zenith's production staff.

One last important bit of information: a good possibility of finding transcriptions or recordings would be to contact J. David Goldin. I have known of him since I started collecting old radio programs when I was a kid, back in 1974. David is quite an interesting man in the world of vintage radio. He has been a BIG driver in preserving recordings of vintage radio broadcasts. Part (about 10,000 transcriptions) of his collection was sent to the Marr Sound Archives at UMKC in Kansas City for preservation and dubbing. UMKC does not have any recordings of ZF. If you find any others, keep me in mind, okay?

Good luck Richard!

PostPosted: Nov Sat 21, 2015 9:10 pm 

Good Morning Martin,

This is indeed an interesting hobby. The information you provided is most interesting. It is amazing how such valuable information once so thoughtfully maintained, can be lost in obscurity after the closing of a Corporation such as Zenith. I read a few years ago, that a person taking trash to a public dump site noticed an old trunk nearby. He examined and took the contents later finding out it was the original hand written sheet music from George and Ira Gershwin! It was almost lost, and luckily found such as was probably the case with Commander MacDonald's personal files. It is certainly good that you and your co-authors completed those Zenith books when you did, as finding this at a later date may have never happened, but it did. As to the transcription discs for the Zenith Laboratory, that still remain a mystery. But there is more interest these days and hopefully they can eventually be found.

I would hope that eventually a book or books can be written on the many Zenith Radio/Phonographs with the Cobra-matic record changers, and the later one's developed can be eventually completed. There just doesn't seem to be the interest in the large consoles with Record Changers and the generally included AM/FM High Fidelity and Stereo Radios, that is the case with the older Radios.

I have two Zenith Consoles from around 1958, and getting information has been difficult. I can find ads from Magazines and so forth, but really very little information, although Schematics can often be found. Who designed them, the variety of Cabinet styles completed in book form like the Radio books would be most interesting. The size and newness of these later Consoles has not yet made them as desirable for people today, but hopefully that will change. There are many parts still available for the Cobra-matic record players through the Voice of Music site on the internet, and it is quite complete, with needles, and all the necessary parts for the record changers used in Zenith Consoles.

As Robert Davol Budlong had an untimely death in 1954, and just a few years later in 1958, the death of Commander MacDonald, certainly left a vacuum at Zenith which to my knowledge was never filled.

I will certainly make any information known on this site, if I get any further information on the Transcription Discs of The Zenith Laboratory. Needless to say, I am anxious to actually get the one program available, and it should arrive any day, as Jerry Haendiges lives only about 40 miles from me in Whittier, California, as I live in Riverside, California. He has several Internet sites[b] http://www.otrsite.com/ :idea: listed under his name of Jerry Haendiges (The Jerry Haendiges Vintage Radio Place) if anyone is interested in purchasing any of the 10,000 or more Radio Shows he has for sale plus, interesting information as to prior Radio Actors, Radio Shows you can listen to while perusing his Internet site, and the history of Radio Programs in general.[/b] It is quite an interesting site, with many interesting articles on the history of Radio during the Golden Years.

I have just gotten a Zenith 8H 034 (wooden cabinet) with a AM/Dual FM Dial, and also the later 1948 Model, also with the Dual FM Dials and am in the process of getting them fully restored and back in good playing condition. I assume Robert Davol Budlong designed all of the early AM/Dual FM Dial Radios with the ARMSTRONG SYSTEM. I am interested in just what may be heard on that supposedly defunct FM Dial, as I understand it is still used by some people and Government Agencies. Also, I have been told that the smaller 1946 Model was unofficially called "The Major" in honor of Edwin Howard Armstrong by employees at Zenith, and the later and larger 1948 Bakelite Model was unofficially called "The General". I am curious if this is true, and if so, who was the reference to in naming it "The General". Certainly not David Sarnoff who thought he was a General!!!

Out for now and a Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family,

Richard Davis McLeod

PostPosted: Mar Fri 09, 2018 12:24 pm 

GOOD NEWS for fans of Zenith Radios.

Radio Archives out of Spokane, Washington has restored the one remaining show (to my knowledge at this time) ever produced by the Zenith Radio Corp. (The Zenith Laboratory). in Chicago, and has included one complete restored 30 minute radio show in their Radio Archives Treasures Volume 26 which was released on today's date March 9, 2018. Radio Archives can be located on the Internet under that name and is known for their exceptional restoration of vintage radio shows. Radio Archives offers this one remaining show in a 20 CD Volume ( # 28) at a discounted price for the next week, and computer downloads are also available at a lesser price than the discounted CD price of $29.95.

I have never seen or heard the availability of this show, as it was thought completely lost, but it turns out one of the original shows has been found and is now restored. It is not available on the Internet free radio shows or other computer resources in the restored version aside from the current show, now for sale through the Radio Archives group out of Spokane, Washington.

The Radio Show available on Volume 28 is truly a rare piece of early radio history put out by the Zenith Radio Corp., and was known as the Zenith Foundation and originally aired on Sunday October 17, 1937. It was the only radio show I have ever heard of that was produced by The Zenith Radio Corp. The show ran for about 2 years in the late 1930's and was syndicated nationally on NBC, however this seems to be the only remaining show known to still exist. The 30 minute program included various skits relating to Telepathy or ESP and was set up with the Psychology Department of Duke University. The show and Commander MacDonald's name and promotion of Zenith Dealer's is given on the show, although Commander MacDonald does not speak himself. This radio show is discussed in one of the extensive books on the History of Zenith Radios, but otherwise little is known about the show.

A Deck of 25 Cards were given out free to customer's at the time by various Zenith Dealer's around the country. There were 3 additional cards with information and directions on how to play the game and also on one card listing the various CALL letters for the radio stations around the country in which the program was aired. These decks were given free at the time by Zenith dealer's in the United States and are still available and can occasionally be found for sale on Ebay.

Commander MacDonald and advertisements for the hundreds of Zenith dealer's around the country are mentioned and promoted, even though Zenith states that the Zenith Radio Corp. only sponsored the program with Duke University setting up the scripts in regards to the subject matter which are acted out. At the end of the show, a variety of symbols were described to the listener's and they were advised to submit their guesses to the Zenith Radio Corp. of Chicago. The results were given on each following week.

A true piece of radio history and a program from one of the most popular radio manufacturers in the United States at the time which is unknown to most people. Perhaps more of the programs can be found in the future.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 8:22 am 

You mentioned Duke University and I've been to their Perkins Library and know what a vast place it is, so I thought I'd do a little digging online. They have in their collection in the Rubenstein Library microfilm of radio scripts from J. Walter Thompson, the advertising agency, and among those scripts are ones for the Zenith Foundation radio show. I don't think they're available for viewing online, but I haven't gone very far into the site to really know. It looks like they may only be available on their premises. They do require two business days' notice to pull the items before you get there in person. So if you want to make a field trip to Durham, NC and look, these scripts could tell you what was on the show. Here is the link to the collection:

https://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/fin ... /#abstract

Scroll down to reel 33 (on right) and almost to reel 34 you will see:

Zenith Foundation
Scientific Investigation of Telepathy and Other Unexplored Powers of the Human Mind, presented by Zenith Radio, 1938

So good luck if you decide to pursue that collection.

I also found this nice ad for Zenith chairsides in my searching. It's from Life Magazine and mentions the show.

https://books.google.com/books?id=kj8EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA89&lpg=PA89&dq=zenith+foundation+radio+show&source=bl&ots=Om_M3r4LwC&sig=FqLJamcN6524ba4fe39MVL0bw3w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiM64ipj-HZAhUQzVMKHWooA6sQ6AEIRDAD#v=onepage&q=zenith%20foundation%20radio%20show&f=false

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 12:10 pm 

Thanks for the invaluable information regarding the Zenith Foundation Radio Show. So little is generally known about it. Radio Archives has included one of the programs I mentioned in the earlier post.

Radio Archives can be reached at this site Newsletter@RadioArchives.com This is the only known restored version of one of the shows I know to still exist. Jerry Haendiges (he has a huge if not the largest collection of radio shows in the Country) also has this one show mentioned, but an unrestored version with all the scratches and poor audio quality. I have that one from him as it can be understood even though the audio is poor, but I plan on getting the latest Volume from Radio Archives which has the restored show listed as the last one in the latest Archives Treasures Volumes on CD # 20 in that set as noted from this LINK. They do a great job in restoring these vintage radio shows, many now with such clear audio, the shows may sound as good if not better than when the radio show was originally broadcast.

I will get to work on this as it appears the collection at Duke University also has many other radio shows that are probably thought lost. I would doubt any of them have been restored and are probably on the original transcription discs, but hopefully if Radio Archives or some other group could get a hold of them, they have the equipment to restore them back to the audio clarity as was the original state and put them on a safety stock. These early radio shows were originally on transcription discs (large 78 RPM records) used by radio stations and shipped around the country as was 35MM films for Motion Pictures. You can only imagine the condition they are in today simply from use, shipping around the country and age. But at least we now know that possibly the entire Zenith Foundation Radio Shows do indeed still exist and can be restored.

The stories are fascinating as to how many of the older radio shows, long thought lost were found and restored. Such was the case with Harold Lloyd's 1940's radio show which were found in his basement at his home in Beverly Hills after his death in 1972. I think a similar story is also the case with Gordon MacRae's The Railroad Hour, in those shows being found in a storage locker about to be cleaned out and thrown away, but luckily someone had the foresight to recognize them and today we now have all of them and they have been restored from the original transcription discs. The same is also true of many of the radio shows originally hosted by Orson Welles and others. Many if not most vintage radio shows are sadly lost, but i am sure many more are still out there just waiting to be re-discovered and from the information you have provided, this sounds to be the case with the Zenith Foundation Radio Shows.

The Zenith Foundation radio shows ran I think almost 2 years around 1937 on NBC Radio (The Blue Network). The exact dates are given in the books on the History of the Zenith Radio Corp. To fully appreciate the Zenith shows, one would need the special Deck of Cards that were given out by Zenith Dealer's at the time. They are still around and can be purchased on Ebay if you look long enough. As Duke University designed the cards, other card decks with the same images and symbols on them are still available as there were 25 cards in the Zenith decks and the same images are used by the Psychology Department at Duke University I think to this day in there ESP and Telepathy studies. There evidently was a great deal of interest in Telepathy and such in the 1930's, and Commander MacDonald, the President of the Zenith Radio Corp. must have had a great deal of interest in the subject to have promoted such an unusual radio show. Each succeeding show would give out the questions and the correct answers were given on the next week's show with individuals sending in the results to the Zenith Radio Corp. in Chicago, where they somehow were tabulated by the staff at Duke University. Their exact connection would be interesting to know about.

There is a great deal more to be known about the origins of this show and the results of the tests and recipients that participated each week. The show was Nationally syndicated on NBC and at the time had a large following. The results are probably in this Library collection at Duke University. I have one of the Decks and one of the radio shows but really need a few more shows to follow through with the weekly results, again which are probably at Duke University hidden away in a dark room, but at least they are there and taken care of by the Duke University staff.

Eventually additional information will come out, and thanks to the LINKS you have provided, I think the doors have now been opened as most of the radio collector's today just assume these shows to be lost as is the case with so many radio shows from the Golden Age of Radio.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 9:51 pm 

Just FYI, the 16" radio transcriptions were recorded at 33 RPM (not 78) and got 15 minutes per side. They did use a stylus like a 78 would use, so it's important to play them back with that stylus to prevent damage and to get the best recording. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill as a Radio-TV-Motion Pictures major and got to listen to their collection of 16" transcriptions that were still stored in their recording studio in the early 1980s. They had turntables with two arms, one for microgroove 33s and one for 78s and 33 transcriptions.

Heaven only knows where they are now. It wasn't much, but what I came away with was an appreciation of the fidelity of the recordings. Lots of bass and treble in those days of what sometimes sounded like low fidelity by the time it got to the public. The RCA ribbon mikes especially were superior sounding and made the most wonderful recordings on tape when I used them. It was like stepping back in time to the 1940s in those studios. I often wonder where all that equipment went to when the RTVMP department was closed about 1991.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 10, 2018 10:42 pm 

Thanks for the clarification on speeds used. I was aware 33 1/3's were around but not sure as to what extent they were being used. It certainly makes sense as if the transcription discs were in 78 RPM, the number of transcription discs would be overwhelming. It would be interesting to know what still exists in those studios today.

It is like the original 3 Strip Technicolor process used in motion pictures years back as little of that original equipment still exists. I know the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Beverly Hills still (or did the last time I was there several years ago) had the equipment to show historic films and the films originally shot in the 3 Strip Technicolor process.

In fact it was the film "Gone With the Wind" I saw and it was shown from one of the two original Technicolor prints still in existence. The color had not faded and was still fantastic. The film actually enlarged for the burning of Atlanta in "GWTW" as were many other films of the period. It probably went from 35MM to 60MM or 70MM for that scene only. Few Theaters at the time could even use that aspect of the film as such projectors were rare even then, but it worked that night. The large curtains actually pulled back for the burning scene and then reduced back to normal size after the scene was over. They did mention at the introduction of the film showing that it may not work as David O Selznick had wanted, but it worked as designed.

I assume because of the Historical aspects, the Samuel Goldwyn Theater at the Academy Building in Beverly Hills still keeps that original equipment to show such films using that technique, but such is rare these days, as most of such older technology has been sadly thrown away, or sold for parts. David O Selznick used the same technique in the film "A Portrait of Jennie". The ending scene was a huge tidal wave and the screen enlarged to give the audience a greater impact for the ending scene, but then added one last shot in Technicolor of the actual portrait of Jennie as the rest of the film was shot in Black and White.

Black and White was not used necessarily because it was cheaper than using color, it was also used because aesthetically it was felt to be more effective whereas color distracted. It is a shame that idea is lost in today's making of films in Hollywood.

I am going to pass this information on regarding the Zenith Foundation programs located at Duke University to individuals that may be able to work out a deal whereby this material can be accessed and again made available to the public. Everything is not on the Internet, although it does amaze me as to just how much material is indeed available on the Internet today.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 6:31 am 

Two quick notes, the GWTW currently on Amazon Prime is a perfect copy in glorious technicolor. At anytime you could hit pause and the picture would likely look nice, and interesting enough to hang on a living room wall.

The 1927 Gance film Napoleon used a 3x wider screen and full color in the final reel, where Nappy's army descends from the Alps into Italy. Three separate theater projectors were used simultaneously.

PostPosted: Mar Sat 17, 2018 7:23 am 

Out of curiosity, does the screen size increase for the burning in Atlanta on this copy from Amazon Prime? It was show in that manner, but to my knowledge none of the later releases on DVD ect, have shown it as David O Selznick originally intended. The Technicolor 3 Strip process did require 3 separate projectors for filming. I had heard about the Napolean film also, which is a true masterpiece.