Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 13, 2018 4:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Opal Craven - Lullaby Lady
PostPosted: Sep Fri 12, 2014 3:38 am 

Hello,
I am new to the forum. My wife's grandmother was Opal Craven - The Lullaby Lady. She was a featured singer on the Carnation Contented Hour in the late 30's and early 40's. It would mean the world to our family if someone might know if there is still a recording of a show that she may have sung on. I know it is probably a long shot but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: Opal Craven - Lullaby Lady
PostPosted: Sep Fri 12, 2014 4:21 am 

Not many shows from that series seems to have survived.

I struck out at dadsotr.com He has two episodes on CD which are in the late 1940s. Most of my CDs are from DadsOTR, so her shows would not be in my collection.

OTRcat.com has a CD with several shows, but only one early show for Feb 21, 1940. It is a long shot, but if you want to take a chance on the otrcat.com CD you might get lucky.

Pete

PostPosted: Nov Sat 15, 2014 4:06 am 

To my knowledge, the earliest show available for this series was 1939 then it jumps to 1940 and later. Most of the extant shows are from the NBC run in the forties (mostly later), then a number from when it moved to CBS. One source I know of lists 120 shows available but again the earliest being 1939. I can't say where to find those 120 shows as many are either in libraries or private collectors unnamed.

There was an organization which has since closed called the Radio Historical Association of Colorado that was cited as one source, but not sure what happened to their collection since they folded earlier this year.

PostPosted: Oct Wed 03, 2018 9:55 pm 

Hello, I am a neighbor of Roy Zimmermann here in Nevada and his mother was Opal Craven - the Lullaby Lady. Roy is now 83 years old. He used to play the piano, like Gershwin, in bars in New Orleans.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 18, 2018 4:20 am 

Amazingly enough, I am portraying Opal’s father George Craven in Wentzville, MO on October 28th. He had started a brass band here in the early 1900s before he and his young family moved on to Tipton, Iowa.