Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 18, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WOPA in Oak Park Illinois?
PostPosted: Jul Sat 02, 2011 1:32 am 

Hi all, this isn't real Old Time Radio but old enough at 53 I guess.

Anyone know of a Radio Host named Maly Wayne, he worked at WOPA in Illinois in the late 50's?

I ask because I found an Acetate recording of a Quiz Show he was hosting but I can't find any info on him at all.

On the record label WOPA means "Worlds Outstanding Polka Artists"
On the Web I read the "OPA" was because they were located in the "Oak Park Arms" Hotel.

I posted a recording of it to YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdizuTCa3uY

Record dated 2/7/1957

I also wondered what the short "Beeps" heard throughout the recording were used for?

Post subject: Re: WOPA in Oak Park Illinois?
PostPosted: Jul Fri 08, 2011 8:04 am 

Anyone, anyone?

I'd really like to know more about this station and Host, would it be OK to move this to the Clubhouse to possibly get more (any) responses?

PostPosted: Jul Sun 10, 2011 1:24 pm 

The ' beeps ' were used back then to alert the caller that they were on the air, and/or were being recorded. Don't know if it was a FCC reg. or not. ..... Gregg

PostPosted: Jul Thu 21, 2011 10:27 pm 

From my days as a kid in Chicago:

WOPA was a Polish-oriented station with lots of polka shows.

Quote:
Anyone know of a Radio Host named Maly Wayne, he worked at WOPA in Illinois in the late 50's?

You may be referring to Wally Jagiello, who was known as Little Wally in business. In Polish:

Maly Wladziu

Rich

PostPosted: Jun Tue 13, 2017 8:21 am 

During the late 1960s, WOPA played "free-form" progressive rock radio part-time via their sister FM station, WGLD. This happened a lot of brokered radio stations that would rent out time to various ethnic groups. A prime example, locally here in Chicago is WXRT. That's how rock got started on that station.

Around 1969 or so, I was listening to WGLD and they had a contest, where they were going to give some records away to the first person who came down to the station with an old Mickey Mouse record. It just happened I had one, drove down there, and won the contest.

The prize was some new comp LPs of 1050s music by Eddie Cochran, Fats Domino, and The Coasters. I liked these records.

As I recall, the radio studio was on one of the upper floors of the building. It was a hotel then, but is now senior housing.

I found this online:

Radio broadcasting returned to Oak Park and the Oak Park Arms Hotel in October 1950 with the launch of Village Broadcasting’s WOPA on both the AM and FM bands. For almost 30 years WOPA offered daytime popular music and nighttime jazz and rhythm and blues music. By the early 1970s the FM side, 102.7, evolved into Chicago’s WBMX, “the black music experience,” which became WVAZ in 1988. In 1987 ownership of the AM band (1490) was transferred to the Polish National Alliance and the call letters changed to WPNA. This Polish news and cultural station, along with WVAZ, continue to broadcast from the Oak Park Arms studio.