Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 22, 2017 3:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tooth Fairy and Chickenman
PostPosted: May Wed 21, 2014 12:26 pm 

I just got notice in an e-mail, the Adventures of the Tooth Fairy and Chickenman are being discontinued.

This, not long after I found out these two series are STILL AVAILABLE!

How long ago were these made? 40 years? 50 years? I remember hearing them on the radio a LONG time ago.

They are available (until gone) through Dan O'Day Productions, an outfit that offers material for radio stations. I signed up with them for a newsletter, after searching for various jingles and comedy skits. Dan O'Day offers e-books and video seminars on how to make an exciting morning show, how to write an effective radio ad, suggestions for contests, and so on. They have CD's with comedy routines and novelty commercials, and assorted other material for radio stations. Browsing the site I noticed the Tooth Fairy and Chickenman were still available new -- complete sets that you can broadcast on your radio station.

To me it's a shame that the last two radio serials available on the face of the earth are such dumb ones, but you might also say that it's the end of an era.

I kinda wish some other series might be revived, such as Ellery Queen's Minute Mysteries. Dream on . . .

Post subject: Re: Tooth Fairy and Chickenman
PostPosted: Jun Sat 28, 2014 1:59 pm 

They were kept under copyright, and it was enforced. Unfortunately the shows never made it to the OTR dealers, but they were sold by the CR holder for many years.

Pete

PostPosted: Jun Sat 28, 2014 2:31 pm 

ahhhh...those were something.....

PostPosted: Jul Mon 07, 2014 3:27 am 

CHICKENNNNNN MANNNNN! He's everywhere! He's Everywhere!
and his faithful companion, Fred.

I remember listening to that program on KJR in Seattle when I was in school.

IIRC O'Day was a Seattle radio DJ and promoter.
(Ah, THe days of Walter Wart the Freaky Frog, and Its the Warts on the Flip Side That Count.)

" Break down the wall"

PostPosted: Jan Fri 29, 2016 6:37 am 

Chickenman did make it to one OTR dealer, but he appears to be out of business - I haven't seen him for about 5 years at the Rochester hamfest.

There are about 240 episodes, including announcements. These appear to be the earliest episodes where Chickenman was affiliated with anti-pollution and anti-littering groups. The familiar "He's everywhere - Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk" is not on these episodes. Gary Owens was the first announcer, then later the other one (with the exaggerated "Welll....") came on.

When I first heard them locally on WNDR in the 60's, they were quite different. As best as I can remember, Darryl Frantic was trying to shoot a movie in Shangri -La (Hot Springs) when someone was turned into a frog, and the only way to reverse the curse was to be kissed by a blonde wearing an ankle bracelet. Miss Helfinger (sometimes called Helpbringer) was coaxed into doing it. The announcer said "To kiss a frog is one thing, but to wear an ANKLE BRACELET!!!!

There was another episode where there was a party for the commissioner, and everybody had to order the chili because it was cheap. When they got there, the chili was already served, but they had the bowls covered so nothing would fall in.
Unfortunately, I lost the tapes I made.

Bob

PostPosted: Jun Thu 23, 2016 6:37 pm 

Used to hear Chickenman in the 60s on one of the local Top 40 stations. Chickenman was really Benton Harbor. Fred was the sidekick of the cartoon Super Chicken with Fred giving Super Chicken his Super Sauce. I think I have the words to the SC show..."When you find your self in danger, when you're threatened by a stranger, when it looks like you will take a lickin'; When there's nothing that you can do, when there's no one you can turn to, call for Super Chicken...."
Also, remember The Story Lady? I have a CD that a guy at work gave me some years back (made it himself) with Chicken Man and The Story Lady. Good stuff.
RW

PostPosted: Jul Mon 04, 2016 3:37 pm 

Both can be heard on WNAR online. There not listed in the program guide but is on two or three time a day.

Terry

PostPosted: Aug Tue 02, 2016 11:18 am 

I remember Ellery queen. I also used to watch it on T.V, I think it ran for about 4 seasons. I remember being fascinated by the Death of the wax doll episode.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 20, 2016 4:40 pm 

I first heard them on the radio in 1975. I was in Key West, Florida going to Navy "A" school at the time. I thought they were hilarious. I have them both on CD now.

Terry