Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Wed 13, 2017 12:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Where are you hearing old time radio?
PostPosted: May Tue 12, 2015 10:10 pm 

Southerner wrote:
gabrielo wrote:
AM 600 / FM 89.9

What station would this be? My AM 600khz and FM 89.9mhz stations do not play anything even close to what you describe...but then I am sure we are not close together.

AM 600 is at: http://radio.bobmerritt.com/

AM 1610 is at: http://wnar-am.com/

PostPosted: May Wed 13, 2015 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Google says: http://radio.bobmerritt.com/

PostPosted: May Sun 17, 2015 6:22 pm 

CHML has a good signal in this area at night:

http://www.900chml.com/old-radio-shows/

The Canadians seem to have the edge on OTR broadcasts... and the classic contemporary CBC programs (MIdnight Cab, etc.) are true classics. Unfortunately my hearing makes it very hard to discern the poorer recordings OTA, but I have over 400 MP-3 CD's from Dad's OTR that cover a vast majority of the early radio shows. One of these days I hope to set up an automated Part 15 broadcast station, show these old shows can be aired once again, even if no one is there to listen.

Pete

PostPosted: May Wed 20, 2015 12:06 am 

Southerner wrote:
gabrielo wrote:
AM 600 / FM 89.9

What station would this be? My AM 600khz and FM 89.9mhz stations do not play anything even close to what you describe...but then I am sure we are not close together.

There are MANY stations throughout the US and Canada that use identical frequencies--AM low power stations
can have same frequencies assigned if spaced a few hundred miles apart--FM can be closer together since that band's effective range is seldom over 100 miles.

Of course FCC in US regulates and assigns those frequencies.

PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2015 8:51 pm 

I used to receive AM740 quite well on a clear night on my 9s244 and for a short time on my 6s229, and I'm all the way down in Knoxville, TN. Anything closer to me on the AM dial?

30s and 40s Zenith
50s Grundig and Telefunken

PostPosted: May Sat 30, 2015 9:40 pm 

Anybody listen to XM channel 82? If you have XM in your car you can stream it for just a few bucks a month. The station plays all OTR 24 hours a day. I play it through my SSTRAN every day.

PostPosted: May Sun 31, 2015 4:15 am 

I'll have to remember channel 82, I usually listen to channel 4.

PostPosted: Jul Thu 16, 2015 12:39 am 

I bought several radio series on Mp3 discs, put them on a usb drive and loaded them on my computer at work. Add a set of headphones and my shows are on whenever. I am a little way into 1953 on Dragnet.

PostPosted: Jul Fri 31, 2015 10:02 pm 

WCEM/AM Radio 1240 in Cambridge Maryland airs the oldies; and on Friday, from 12:30 PM to 5 PM, old time radio broadcasts.
With the exception of the First Friday of the month, the first show to air is a modern Sci-Fi drama done in the old radio style, called "The Hawk Chronicles". It's then followed by "Seems Like Old Times" with Craig Orndorff. The station streams at 1240wcem.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 28, 2015 2:18 am 

Anyone listen to the Big Band Bash podcast? It's an hour long podcast every week that plays big band from the 30s 40s and 50s era. Frank Miller is the host. It's a radio show from Texarkana Tx. There is good info on each podcast about the big band leaders as well. Check it out on iTunes

PostPosted: Aug Sun 30, 2015 1:05 am 

Peter Bertini wrote:
The Canadians seem to have the edge on OTR broadcasts... and the classic contemporary CBC programs (MIdnight Cab, etc.) are true classics.

Pete,
"Midnight Cab" episodes were part of "The Mystery Project" CBC radio series. I just ran across this link for the The Mystery Project downloads today:
http://www.radioechoes.com/the-mystery- ... eJGS0KE7p0
radioechoes.com has a tremendous amount of other OTR as well.
The listing of the The Mystery Project episode titles doesn't indicate whether they are part of the Midnight Cab series, but you can find a listing of the Midnight cab titles here:
http://www.thrillingdetective.com/devereaux.html

PostPosted: Sep Tue 01, 2015 11:11 pm 

My favorite is Rat Patrol Radio on Live365. They play music from that era, but also intersperse it with newscasts and other radio bits from WWII. Churchill speeches, BBC, etc. Wish they had some vintage commercials mixed in there!

PostPosted: Jan Fri 22, 2016 5:10 am 

I'm using dialup here, so streaming is not an option. When I was working (retired last week), or when I was in a Wi-Fi zone, I wasted time on that instead of working on old radios.
Several years ago, I was buying MP3 CDs of OTR, but the last time, the lady mentioned that with all the titles I picked out, it would cost only a little more to buy the entire collection of 86 DVDs, so I did.
Years later, I'm still finding some real treasures. I have 2 iPod Classics with about 15,000 - 25,000 shows. Right now, Duke Ellington is on.
I have been binge listening to some shows, but my next project is to create playlists with more variety - comedy, crime, sci-fi, horror, and a few vintage commercials mingled so that it sounds more like regular programming. TV is now relegated to about two hours a week.
It has been a while, but hopefully the vendor is still in business: Bob Gardner 312 Fenwick Drive New Carlisle OH 45344 OTRShows@yahoo.com

Bob (not Bob Gardner)

PostPosted: Jan Fri 22, 2016 4:57 pm 

I stream and download stuff from archive.org

PostPosted: Jan Tue 26, 2016 12:43 am 

I listen to both 740 Toronto and 650 WSM here in central Missouri. On "Way Back Wednesday" on WSM, you can hear some old country music. My favorite is Big Band Sunday Night from 740 though.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2016 3:25 pm 

I started out listening to WNAR-1620 (internet feed through TuneIn app) streaming through an old unused wif-fi capable "smart" phone, to a wireless bluetooth adapter, to a Talking House 5.0.

A few weeks ago WNAR was having issues with it's feed through the TuneIn app, and I was getting dead air, so I switched to "Old Time Radio USA". I must say, as good as WNAR is, I like the mix on Old Time Radio USA better. WNAR is pretty heavy on radio drama, but I like more of the old time radio comedy, and period music with the banter of the musicians mixed in and the sponsors blurbs, etc. OTRUSA seems to fit the bill for me. Every once in a while OTRUSA throws in an old radio newscast, too.

I leave the streaming/Talking House set up on 24/7, and I don't know why, but when I was streaming WNAR, I'd more often tune in to dead air, and would have to reset the "smart" phone, or go restart the feed. With OTRUSA that rarely happens. Perhaps something to do with the reliability of the original feed to TuneIn? I think since I started streaming OTRUSA I've only had to restart the feed once, and I'm pretty sure it had to do with an internet outage here rather than a problem on their end.

PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2016 10:42 pm 

Wanted to hear rat patrol radio and found this;

"END OF AN ERA
By admin on January 31, 2016 in RPR Station and Site

Rat Patrol Radio’s host, Live365, has gone out of business. So, after more than 15 years wonderful years as a Founding Broadcaster at Live365, Rat Patrol Radio has to find a new base of operations. I have decided to give Radionomy a try, after looking at various options.

This is a large undertaking, since I had ripped 150 CDs worth of music at AM quality, so it would sound the same as the WWII news reports I broadcast. Radionomy requires all files to be at least 128kbps, which means I have to re-rip every song,

For now, I am updating at www.facebook.com/ratpatrolradio while I work on rebuilding the station. Please check there for updates, until I can get this site redone.

Thanks for 15 wonderful years, and I sincerely hope you follow me over to the new provider!"
http://www.ratpatrolradio.com/2016/01/end-of-an-era/

PostPosted: Feb Sun 21, 2016 11:54 pm 

I heard a station last evening with OTR programs and current advertisements around 6 Mhz. It was a relatively clear station but I couldn't find any references to a station of that frequency on the net, and the station didn't identify itself during the hour and 15 minutes I listened.

PostPosted: Feb Wed 24, 2016 7:06 am 

Anyone know of a streaming source for Don McNeill’s Breakfast Club otr programs?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 26, 2016 5:16 am 

db gain wrote:
Wanted to hear rat patrol radio and found this;

"END OF AN ERA
By admin on January 31, 2016 in RPR Station and Site

Rat Patrol Radio’s host, Live365, has gone out of business. So, after more than 15 years wonderful years as a Founding Broadcaster at Live365, Rat Patrol Radio has to find a new base of operations. I have decided to give Radionomy a try, after looking at various options.

This is a large undertaking, since I had ripped 150 CDs worth of music at AM quality, so it would sound the same as the WWII news reports I broadcast. Radionomy requires all files to be at least 128kbps, which means I have to re-rip every song,

For now, I am updating at http://www.facebook.com/ratpatrolradio while I work on rebuilding the station. Please check there for updates, until I can get this site redone.

Thanks for 15 wonderful years, and I sincerely hope you follow me over to the new provider!"
http://www.ratpatrolradio.com/2016/01/end-of-an-era/

He's actually just found a new host, although it doesn't appear to work on my Mac and the iOS app was a disaster. I'm sure they'll be going of business soon and who knows where he'll go then. http://ratpatrolradio-wartimetunes-.playtheradio.com/

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 65 posts ]  Moderator: Mike Wheat Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next