Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Tue 19, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FS: 13 Antique Radios, 2 Speakers & Many Other Items
PostPosted: Jun Sun 10, 2018 8:26 pm 

13 Radios, 2 Speakers, Dual-Trace O-Scope, 360 TV/Radio Tubes, More! Selling as a single lot!

Asking $1200 plus S/H from Bloomington, IN. I'm losing money on this, not to mention the man-hours put into restoring most of these! However, I'm burned out on the radios and need to pay down my credit cards! See the section on S/H below for more details about the cost.

1924 Atwater-Kent Model 20-4640 "Big Box" Radio**
1923 FADA 4-Tube Neutrodyne Radio
Two (2) 1926 Atwater-Kent Model 35-8100 Table Model Radio
Two (2) 1928 Atwater-Kent Model 42-9850 Radio (A/C model; working tubes included; one #26 tube needed for 2nd radio)
1928 Atwater-Kent Model 49-9860 Radio
1925 Equitable Claratone Radio
1925 Dayton Fan & Motor Co. Day-Fan Five Model 5044 Radio
1924-25 Freshman Masterpiece Radio - kit version, as listed on chassis tag
1924-25 Chelsea Radio Co. Model 122 3-Tube Radio - TRF with Regeneration - faceplate replaced; original included
1928 General Electric Graybar Model 310 (using the RCA Radiola 18 chassis); not operational; tubes included
1923-25 Unknown Kit Radio (not operational; parts from several manufacturers; requires a 4.5V "C" source)

Of the radios listed, I was able to receive at least one good signal from all except the Chelsea, Graybar, and the "unknown" model. I did get a signal on the Chelsea, but it may still need some work. I live in a 3rd-floor, 1-BR apartment, so a proper antenna and a solid earth ground wasn't possible. With a proper antenna and earth ground, you should have no problem getting many signals!

The Graybar 310 (Radiola 18) seems to have a problem with the power supply unit. I replaced the caps in the both the PSU and tuner sections, but I still get weird voltages. As for the "unknown" kit, I replaced 2 dead audio transformers, added a power switch, removed the dead "C" battery, and (hopefully) got the antenna properly wired (several leads were loose). You'll have to determine B voltages on your own; I doubt any schematic exists for this kit.

1929 RCA Radiola 100-A Speaker
1928 Atwater-Kent Model E3-9810 Speaker

Two (2) AES K-101A Antique Radio Battery Eliminator - one kit, one assembled
Superior Instruments Model 450 Tube Tester - works, but meter adjustment screw doesn't work
Supreme Model 589a Tube Tester - works, but no tube data
B&K Model 440 CRT Tester and Rejuvenator - untested but looks complete; very good condition (broken handle)
Heathkit Model BE-1 Battery Eliminator - working, but voltages are somewhat off (more of a showcase piece than a bench supply)
Cornell-Dubilier Model CDA Decade Capacitor Box - not calibrated
360-plus 1950s-1960s Radio & TV Tubes, with General Electric serviceman's case
B&K Precision Model 2120 20MHz Oscilloscope (with new probes; not calibrated)
Box of misc. parts: dead XFMRs, glass Grid Leak resistors, old caps, rheostats, dials, 1924 Eveready 741 battery; Heathkit Grid Dip Meter Model GD-18 (untested; no coils); hi-impedance headphones

Plus all notes, diagrams, schematics, photos, etc., that I may have. I will burn a CD of all this information for you.

Shipping & Handling

By selling such a large collection as a single lot, I'm able to tap into a lower-cost option: the FedEx Economy Freight Box. This is a pallet-sized box, and can be filled with up to 1,200 lbs of items, with a fixed cost for each FedEx zone. The minimum cost will be just $120 (for Zone 1, centered on Bloomington, IN), with a maximum of $230 for Zone 8 (basically, the west and east coasts).

Of course, pick up is free if you're nearby.

What If...

What if you don't want all of these items? Donate them to a charity and take the tax write-off! I'm a disabled vet and don't make enough to qualify for a charitable deduction, so that's not an option for me.

Partial List of TV/Radio Tubes & Number of Each Type

See photo in the link below.

There are approximately 280 tubes listed; there are another 80 or so that were missing boxes. I've since boxed a few dozen more, but have not updated the counts. There's also the original General Electric Serviceman's Tube Case, which is quite a showpiece item on its own!

You can see most of the items here: https://imgur.com/a/fO26h. I don't have photos of a few of the listed items: the FADA, the Graybar, the 2nd A-K Model 42, the B&K CRT Rejuvenator or the capacitor decade box. You should be able to see representative specimens using a Google Image Search.

Post subject: Re: FS: 13 Antique Radios, 2 Speakers & Many Other Items
PostPosted: Jun Mon 11, 2018 5:37 am 

Interesting ad. I wish you well withe the sale of your collection. Sorry I have no room for any more radios.

I did notice that you described the Graybar 310 as a Radiola 18. The Graybar 310 was originally a Radiola 60 superhet.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 12, 2018 7:54 pm 

Penthode wrote:
Interesting ad. I wish you well withe the sale of your collection. Sorry I have no room for any more radios.

I did notice that you described the Graybar 310 as a Radiola 18. The Graybar 310 was originally a Radiola 60 superhet.

radiomuseum.org shows the Radiola 60 was a 9-tube model, and the chassis in my Graybar 310 is a 7-tube model. The Radiola 18 is a 7-tube model.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 5:02 am 

Agreed and I stand corrected. Thanks.

I have the Graybar 340 and it is the same as the Radiola 62 superhet.

However, he Graybar period ad depicts the 310 in Radiola 60 like cabinet. Is that the case?

PostPosted: Jun Thu 14, 2018 4:45 pm 

Penthode wrote:
The Graybar period ad depicts the 310 in Radiola 60 like cabinet. Is that the case?

I suspect so. The Graybar cabinet appears identical to the Radiola 60 cabinet, the only difference being the nameplate on front. When I purchased it, it was advertised as a Radiola 60, so the confusion is normal. Takes a bit more digging into the chassis itself to spot the difference.

I'm assuming GE marketed the Graybar 310 with the Radiola 18 in its first few runs, then switched over to the Radiola 60 as soon as it became available. Pretty much an identical footprint, so no need to make changes to the cabinet.

I'm wondering if GE made a deal with RCA, such that every 4th or 5th Radiola 18/Radiola 60 coming off the RCA assembly line had the GE Graybar 310 hardware slapped on the front? It reminds me of Mitsubishi, who slapped an "Eagle Talon" nameplate on every 5th car coming off the same assembly line, and the "Mitsubishi Eclipse" model out-selling the "Talon" model by a large margin.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 15, 2018 2:12 am 

PLEASE use the PM system for any more discussion.The Classifieds is not a discussion section of the forum.
Thanks.
Phil