Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Wed 14, 2018 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: FS: Hallicrafters SX-24 "Skyrider Defiant" Receiver
PostPosted: Oct Sat 20, 2018 8:03 am 

Seemed like a good deal, so I picked this up recently. However, I can't set up a proper antenna from my 3rd floor apartment, so it's up for sale!

The Hallicrafters SX-24 Skyrider Defiant (such a cool name) receiver incorporates every advanced feature of the entire Hallicrafters line. Four bands cover the range from .545 to 43.5 MHz, frequency meter tuning on 10, 20, 40 and 80 meter amateur bands, 7 tubes and a CW crystal. Controls include RF gain, selectivity switch, crystal phasing, audio gain, pitch control, main tuning control, bandspread tuning control, automatic noise limiter (A.N.L.) switch, Hi-Lo tone, send/receive switch and BFO switch.

The Hallicrafters SX-24 Skyrider Defiant receiver was manufactured from 1939 to 1943. It sold new for $69.50

This specimen is in very good condition for being at least 65 years old! I added a new power cord, and removed the inspection plate on the bottom to see if there were any blown components; I didn't see any. However, given that this unit is at least 65 years old, I would advise you to replace the capacitors at the minimum, and the resistors as long as you're at it. They're 1/3W carbon resistors, and values can drift over time. I'd replace them with modern 1/2W Metal Film resistors of the indicated values.

After the inspection, and a shot of DeOxit on the switches and pots, I powered it on. Lights up, controls seem to work. Carrier Level meter moves with adjustment of RF Gain, but the knob is loose.

I was able to test the tubes on the Knight 600B and Eico Model 628 tube testers, and they all tested good, so that's a real plus!

The inside still needs some cleaning on top. I recommend CRC Contact Cleaner, along with a long, thin paintbrush with cotton swabs on the end to absorb the dirt and grime. It is a oily grime; I suspect the radio was stored in a garage, where it picked up dust and oil.

I'm including a brief User's Guide that includes a Parts List and Schematic (other docs are available online for free). Also, you'll get a set of pages that came with the radio; they appear to be a User's Manual as well, but they're in pretty bad condition.

Asking $250 + S/H (35 lbs, box measuring 22" x 14" x 12", from zip code 47401). I did see 2 or 3 on FleaBay, but they're asking $350 or so, and there's no mention of the tubes working or not.

Photos of the radio: https://imgur.com/a/k0K5DM1

Post subject: Re: FS: Hallicrafters SX-24 "Skyrider Defiant" Receiver
PostPosted: Oct Wed 24, 2018 4:02 pm 

PRICE DROP!!

$175 + S/H!