Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Sat 21, 2017 7:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pilot lamp replacement
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:58 am 

Ok so the title sounds like I should know how to replace a bulb...

Here is my question...
I have an ECA 108 table radio and the dial melted years ago. I just bought the radio and had RadioDaze make me a new one.
The bulb is a GE 3w 110v candelabra base or e12. I dont want this happening again so can I use an LED?
They sell 3watt mini LED's like the link below..
This
http://www.lightsforalloccasions.com/p- ... Arq18P8HAQ

Or this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E12-Miniature-C ... SwiONYQSJK

Is this a bad idea or will it even work if it is in series with the tubes?
Schematic here:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymode ... 004507.pdf

Lastly, I found the replacements but on eBay they are $7.00 each... On bulbs.com they are .80 cents each.. Am I missing something?

Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eiko-3S6-5-120V ... SwQItT~yKq

Bulb town:
http://www.bulbtown.com/3S6_5_130V_Mini ... m?CartID=1

Thanks
:)

Post subject: Re: Pilot lamp replacement
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:51 am 

Much easier to replace the bulb than to build a power supply for the led, less than a dollar apiece here http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1320263765 ... noapp=true

Dave

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 7:12 am 

Here is a great replacement bulb that stays cold. Screws right into original socket. Have used these before and works a lifetime. The original filament type bulb has a short life span.

https://www.amazon.com/G7-Power-Beatty- ... light+bulb

Tip. As you see the bulb has a shoulder at the screw base. Sometimes that hits the socket base and the center tip of the light bulb won't make center contact. Just add a little more solder to light bulb bottom tip.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 1:38 pm 

The pilot light in your radio is connected directly across the AC line, so a 120-volt, candelabra base LED night light bulb, or indicator bulb should work if it physically fits. But there's likely to be a problem with the rectifiers and regulators built into most 120-volt LED bulbs. They radiate "hash" which may result in interference with the radio. One could experiment with different LED bulbs to see if they affect reception, but in the end an incandescent bulb may still be necessary after all.

If you do have to use an incandescent, you could try reducing the power to it by putting a diode in series. This will cut down the brightness, but at half power the bulb will stay cooler and last longer too.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 2:47 pm 

I suspect more often than not the reason dials were melted was because someone used a 7W night light/Christmas bulb instead of the orig 3W bulb...

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:45 pm 

Hmmm,
Great links and I forgot that.. My LED's in the house really kill signal... I cant play my radio unless the lights are out and my wireless control system is off... Great thinking...

I will still try the LED one but the original dead bulb is the correct 3W so I cant believe this bulb did that..... The dial may have been melted by something else since it didn't burn where the dial lamp was. It looks like a fire melted it...

I'll get both and see what is better...

Thanks all,

Attachments:
IMG_5643.JPG
IMG_5643.JPG [ 115.99 KiB | Viewed 224 times ]

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:57 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
Hmmm,
Great links and I forgot that.. My LED's in the house really kill signal... I cant play my radio unless the lights are out and my wireless control system is off... Great thinking...

I will still try the LED one but the original dead bulb is the correct 3W so I cant believe this bulb did that..... The dial may have been melted by something else since it didn't burn where the dial lamp was. It looks like a fire melted it...

I'll get both and see what is better...

Thanks all,
The 6S6 bulb, same screw thread is a 6 watt bulb, looks identical. Seems like there was too much wattage for that radio...

Another story: I serviced 100's of controllers in an industrial environment each had a Jewelled pilot light, the big ones about an 1" in diameter using the 6S6 6 watt lamp. I had to replace lamps every month. That got old fast, opted to up voltage of lamp to 130, big difference, lamps now once a year...

Kirk, FWIK the 3W lamp should be available in a 130 volt version, seems lamp catalogs had much more offerings decades ago. I even ran across a 220 volt version. I suspect that may be too dim and costly?

Chas

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 4:54 pm 

The LED bulb I mentioned before makes no hash. Have used them in several radios.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:21 pm 

Miniature LED bulbs usually contain a rectifier and capacitor "dropper." Won't generate hash.

Rich

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:27 pm 

I did buy one Thunder..
The others I got are 3w 130v so I will see how hot it gets...
I dont want another $40.00 dial getting pooped...

Every month..! Yeesh

Kirk

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 11:40 pm 

I have a Philco 49-1607 and its indicator bulb uses the same base as you describe. Being rather reluctant to have to take the back off and replace the bulb again when it burns out, I tried out a LED nightlight bulb. I was concerned there may be some hash or noise, but there was not any (much to my surprise). I checked across the entire band with it in and out to be certain. It runs cool as a bonus.

I know not all LED lamps are RFI quiet, but I seemed to hit it right this time. Just a thought.

Tony

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 1:15 am 

Kirk,

I hope I'm not too late, but Home Depot of all places has LED replacement nightlights that look identical to the old school white frosted glass bulb with candelabra base and they sell for $4.99. I just can't remember if there is one or two in the package. I think there were some clear ones too.

I just happened to notice them while I was looking for a red LED 40W to 60W equivalent to use for the holidays to match the green one I have. Wife didn't appreciate the green/orange combo from Halloween. I can pick up some on Friday and try one near a radio and see if there is any interference.

Tony

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:06 am 

They never like the colored halloween lights, lol....
I did get an LED one but will test out the HD ones to see if they interfere.....

Kirk

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 7:26 am 

Kirk,

Forget about LEDs for you nice radio. An incandescent lamp will not cause any worries if it runs cool enough:

(1) Please PM me with your address, and I'll mail you a good 6S6 3 watt 120V American brass-based bulb as a present. It is NOS, and glowed softly when I tested it now. Sorry, there's only one piece here; the rest are all 6Watts. This 3W lamp should not melt your nice new dial, I hope. You may be in luck, if USPS doesn't lose or smash it

(2) If this one doesn't make it from NJ to LI in good condition, another alternative is to buy a few new from the Internet.
There are several sources out there: here's one that I have no experience with, but they seem to offer good prices:

3W 6S6 120V asian lamps https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/671/IN-0003S65120.html

(3) Alternatively, you can install a 230 volt 6S6 bulb that will last forever and ever - https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/1097/IN-0010S6CC230.html

As to performance, any 230 v small lamp run at 120-125V should provide between 8.8% to 12.4%of the brightness of its equivalent wattage 120V bulb, draw about 68% to 72% of the rated current, and have a life factor greater than 4,093 according to my Chicago Miniature Lamp circular slide rule, ca ~1966.

Due to the 3.5 power law for candlepower vs. voltage ratio, you may wish to use a 6 or 10 watt 230 v bulb in that socket. The original 3 watt 120 V lamp in your set drew about 25mA, while a "6 watt" 230V lamp will draw about 18 mA. But it will be dim.

To get the brightness up to something a bit better, consider a "10W" (230V) bulb. It will draw around 32 mA at 120V, which is ~3.8 watts. The heat should be acceptable, the bulb should last forever (~ well, at last 6.1 million hours, calculated), but the color will be some shade of orange, not bright white.

Let me know where to send your 120V bulb; it will be well-packed.

John aka "OTH"

<edited to fix typos & an error>

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:32 pm 

That is real nice of you John but I actually purchased a box of the ones you posted..
This will be a resale radio but I still don't want the new owner getting a raw deal if the bulb does what it did before...

Regards,

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 8:48 pm 

Kirk,

It's a happy ending after all. My old 3W 6S6 will get to keep company with its brighter friends again, and you'll have plenty of new spares there.

Best regards,

John, aka "OTH"