Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Sat 25, 2017 2:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for help
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 6:57 am 

I acquired a number of tubes, about 250 of them, after a death in the family and I know very little about what I've got. I hate to throw anything away, nearly everything that has been checked has been either obviously for parts or in good condition and functional and some very valuable vintage items have been found in the collection, so jumping to the point here I'm looking for some help! I have inventoried the tubes in a spreadsheet and have identified brands where I could, I'm just hoping someone would be willing to review my list and maybe make some comments and let me know if I've got anything critical.

Thank you for your time all.

BJ
Salem, OR

Post subject: Re: Looking for help
PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 3:51 pm 

Since we are almost neighbors, I'll take a look.

PMed

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 5:51 pm 

Oh thats awesome PMed! Thank you. I've attached the file.

Attachments:
Vacuum Tubes.xlsx [14.81 KiB]
Downloaded 41 times

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 10:22 pm 

OK, I spent a few minutes on your list. It would take considerably more time to put a $ value on each entry. Having said that, you seem to have a collection that is often found in old tube caddies. There are a few "audio tubes" that will be worth $5 each or possibly more like the 6SN7s, 12AX7, 12AT7 and 6V6 and a few that aren't worth anything. There are a few "old" radio tubes typically those in the ST shape (Coke Bottle) also maybe worth $5 each.

If these are all tested on a quality tube tester, this is the type of collection that sells for $2 or $3 per tube as a lot. If they are not tested on a good quality tester, then $1 each, as a lot, is more typical.

You need to state what kind of tester was used when selling them. If you "cherry pick" the audio tubes and some of the others you will reap the most return, but in this case it probably won't be much more since you will have tubes left that you can't sell at all.

Selling them on E-Pay usually brings the most money (for tested and desirable tubes). Selling them here on the forum, usually brings much less, though you would not have to worry about "returns" unless you were to have shipping problems or other obtuse complications.

CL might be an option. There are a lot of radio/audio people in the Portland area. It is unlikely that a long-time collector would be interested but a newbie would find this collection of tubes mostly useful. The greatest advantage here being - no shipping.

Disclaimer: I might have missed something "really good" but I don't think so. Being an old-timer this collection would be of little value to me.

Good luck. Even though not super valuable, your tubes may help in the restoration/preservation of many radios.

OH, and P.S. - - PMed is personal messaged (sent to you). But all of my reply is here.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 11, 2017 11:34 pm 

BJ,

I agree with phlogiston's assessment and I noticed the Western Electric 350B's.

The Western Electric 350B tubes should bring a couple of hundred bucks each. Check eBay...

I'd suggest you sell in five lots on eBay. 350B's, Audio tubes (12AT7, 6V6, 6SN7, 6V6, 12AU7, 6AU6, 6136) Rectifiers (tubes beginning with 5, the 80's) Transmitting tubes 6146 and the rest of the tubes as one lot.

Close ups of the audio tubes helps as the audio guys go nuts over certain varieties....

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 4:01 am 

Yeah, I missed those.

Sell them separately, but make sure that they test good or really good. The audio guys will want them but they are really picky.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 12, 2017 6:44 am 

Guys thank you very very much for your input both were very helpful!!