Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Thu 14, 2017 6:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Zenith Potentiometer w/ switch replacement
PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 2:58 am 

This starts with a Zenith model # K508W given to me with a broken volume / switch knob and told by a very influential teacher that if I could fix it I could keep it. There was a very loud hum and I figured out the filter capacitor was bad, was able to replace it get the radio to work. Unfortunately the knob was a different story. The shaft from the potentiometer was broken and no glue held. In any case since it received stations and worked it was mine to keep. Fast forward more years than I care to mention and this radio sits on my desk and plays every morning. Over the years I have use every specialized glue manufactured to hold the nylon potnentiometer stem together, and it fails after about 20 months. I need to permanently replace this, but have not been able to find one. Please help. As far as I can gather this is what I need...
Audio Trim potenetiometer with a SPST switch. 1/4" "D" type of shaft with an overall shaft length of 5/8" and the "D" section of the shaft being 1/2" long 0 - 1 MegOhm resistance
Potentiometer body with a 3/4" diameter and a 5/8" length
To sum it up...
This is for a Zenith tabletop radio model # K508W, the original has a nylon shaft that has broken.
Where can one locate this to purchase? I have tried all the popular sites and some specialized electronics suppliers. I need one, not a special order case of 1,000...
Thank you in advance to all who read this!

Post subject: Re: Zenith Potentiometer w/ switch replacement
PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 5:27 pm 

Is there enough of the broken shaft exiting the control body that you could sleeve it and pin it together? Replacements with insulated plastic shafts were uncommon, often available only from the set's manufacturer and not as an aftermarket part. However, some of the parts kits for making replacement controls did include a few plastic shafts.

You can try Mark Oppat, the king of controls, he has the largest inventory of control parts around. Mark may be able to replace the broken shaft for you.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

Post subject: Re: Zenith Potentiometer w/ switch replacement
PostPosted: Nov Wed 29, 2017 3:08 pm 

There are several on eBay fairly cheaply right now. Another option is get a poor condition one without collector value and use it for parts.