Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 16, 2018 10:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Philco 90 chassis grommets
PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 10:12 pm 

Hello. Seems this is the week for Philco 90 questions! :D I have the first iteration chassis and wondered if there is a vendor for the chassis grommets/washers (whatever they're called). I sent a query to Renovated Radios and received the response that I should pose the question to the forum. Radio Daze doesn't appear to have them. Currently, the chassis is bolted "raw" to the screws which go in thru the underside of the cabinet. Being that there's a circular depression in the cabinet interior through which the screw/washer assembly protrudes to screw into the chassis, I assume there was something in that depression. What say ye and thanks very much in advance.

Post subject: Re: Philco 90 chassis grommets
PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 3:05 am 

Go to Radiodaze and look up "Chassis washers"

Steve

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 9:15 pm 

SeniorSteve wrote:
Go to Radiodaze and look up "Chassis washers"

Steve

Thank you, Steve.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:24 pm 

A slightly less expensive alternative to reproduction parts might be rubber fender washers. These come in different diameters and can be stacked/glued together to get the overall height needed. They can be purchased at "real" hardware stores or auto parts stores.

If you want to use repro parts, it sounds like the rubber chassis mount pieces used in 1938 Zenith consoles like the 12S265 would work for you; although it might be necessary to shave off a bit of length to achieve the desired height. I don't recall which repro retailer sells these, but it was likely either Renovated Radios or Radiodaze.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:18 am 

Thanks, Lorenz. I actually did try the fender washer technique, but at the time found gluing them together not only messy but difficult to get a more or less adequate fit. Admittedly, I was probably in a bit of a hurry at the time, so may give that technique another try. I'd better - I bought $16 worth of those washers!

Thanks again.
Charlie

PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 1:24 am 

Hi folks,
I keep getting asked what washers are used under the chassis of Philco model 70 or model 90. Not having either of these radios available (I sold off over 500 radios several years ago). So, I don't have any to check for existing washers. I make a lot of washers of different sizes, and probably have ones that would work.

I don't want to sell washers for those models if they aren't supposed to have them.
Can someone here please check your radio to see if there is any remnant of rubber under the chassis and let me know what size was probably used?

I remember seeing Philco cathedral radios with the chassis bolted directly to the bottom board. This may have been Philco model 20 though. I don't remember.

Ed

PostPosted: Jan Mon 08, 2018 6:32 am 

Ed, I'm working on my Philco 90 so I took a picture of the grommet hole in the cabinet. It's just over an inch in width, and about 1/8 inch in depth. I had some quarter inch thick grommets and I had cut them down to fit the hole. They work just fine for this radio. If you have any 1 inch wide grommets that are 1/4 inch thick with a bolt hole the same size as your Zenith grommets I bet they would work fine. I'd love to try them out!

Attachment:
Philco 90 Grommet.jpg
Philco 90 Grommet.jpg [ 150.36 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

Thanks for all your help.

Looking for mid to late 1930s Canadian Rogers, Majestic, and DeForest Crosley radios

PostPosted: Jan Tue 09, 2018 9:10 pm 

I have this: part ch5: 1-1/4" diameter, 1/4" thick, 1/4" hole.
Could you squeeze that into the hole?

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 1:22 am 

Ed, I was going through your chassis washers on your site. I think this one may work. It is CH9.

These are chassis support washers for the large Philco models 116 and 690.

Dimensions: 1” diameter, 1/4” thick, 1/4” hole

Guess I should order a set and see! Do you have these in stock?

Looking for mid to late 1930s Canadian Rogers, Majestic, and DeForest Crosley radios

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 1:35 am 

I do have them in stock, but they are stiffer than the others since they are designed to take the weight of the 690 chassis.

I could make them like the others when I get back on my feet again.

Order them and I'll send you the larger ones too and you can see if they fit the holes. Looks like they will, going by the pic of the ruler in you picture.

Ed

PostPosted: Jan Wed 10, 2018 3:38 am 

Thanks Ed! The order has been placed. I'll update this post when I test them out.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 15, 2018 8:36 pm 

I received both sets of washers from Ed this weekend (thanks Ed!!!) and the CH9 chassis washers work just fine. At 1 inch wide they fit nicely in the cutout and after putting the chassis in and bolting it down the control shafts line up well in the front. The height is just what I expected. Here is a picture of the back side with the new washers in place. Hope this helps.

Attachment:
Philco 90 New Grommets.jpg
Philco 90 New Grommets.jpg [ 126.6 KiB | Viewed 28 times ]