Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 21, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: "The Founder"
PostPosted: Feb Tue 14, 2017 6:47 pm 

I went to see this film about the early history of McDonald's. Just seeing the 40's and 50's cars was worth it, but how did Ray's Plymouth Belvedere get its paint so dull so fast? I didn't see any old radios except for an undistinguishable European set.
Anyway, I was thinking about how Ray Kroc managed to get the original McDonald brothers to end up losing it all to Ray. It's a funny coincidence that another man named McDonald took the reins from two men, Mssrs. Hassel and Matthews, in their Zenith radio endeavor, yet managed to keep them on the team for years. I don't know just how badly the McDonald brothers got screwed by Ray Kroc. Perhaps the real story wasn't the typical "Big corporation wipes out the mom-and-pop shop" lament as the movie portrays the story. Funny thing, though I don't often frequent McDonald's more than 4 times a year, I just had to go and get my cheeseburger, fries and small vanilla shake after the show! :D

Post subject: Re: "The Founder"
PostPosted: Feb Tue 14, 2017 11:04 pm 

Here is probably how the Belvedere got so dull so fast...

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K01310-11 ... hotography

PostPosted: Feb Wed 15, 2017 12:50 pm 

With Zenith, Mathews didn't stay with the company for long. He left after selling his stock option to McDonald in the mid to late 20s, and went on to other radio endeavors. Hassel stayed on into the 30s and was instrumental on ironing out issues with the design of the 1000Z.

I'm not entirely sure how the two felt about McDonald and his vision of the company. Two people who we could have asked and knew Mathews fairly well have since passed on. (Alan Douglas and Leo Gibbs)

The name "Chicago Radio Laboratory" was only retained long enough to manufacture regenerative receivers with their Armstrong license. Once Regeneratives were out, the name was dropped, and faded into history.

Funny you have "The Founder" as the subject line. We had a club in my neck of the woods which one person self designated himself as "The Founder" and considered it his club. When in fact, he may have been the driving force to form the club, but it was the original group of members who went in with him to form the club who are ALL founders.

No club belongs to one person.

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Feb Wed 15, 2017 3:32 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
Watched this last weekend, I thought it was well done. I don't know how accurate the depiction was, but he did figure a way (with that one guy's help) how to get out from under the Mcdonald brothers control by becoming a real estate company vs a hamburger company.

The brothers chose a number of what they wanted to be bought out. I don't know id there was a handshake deal or not for royalties, they could never prove it.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 1:54 am 

Ah yes, the infamous McDonald's "handshake deal" incident. I could never believe that two parties that had cheated each other in the past, and were now at the fractious peak of their relationship, would agree to a multimillion dollar handshake deal. Just a way to look at history and think about how people would really behave rather than to take a historical wash at face value.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 17, 2017 7:27 pm 

I read somewhere that The McDonald's (Hamburgers) brothers developed the "assembly-line"
process for making burgers...Then somewhere else, it said That Ray Kroc developed it (?)

This also reminds me of Microsoft's start-up anecdotes.

PostPosted: Feb Sat 18, 2017 5:38 pm 

Location: Halfway between Possum Trot and Monkey's Eyebrow KY
RadioNut39 wrote:
I read somewhere that The McDonald's (Hamburgers) brothers developed the "assembly-line"
process for making burgers...Then somewhere else, it said That Ray Kroc developed it (?)

This also reminds me of Microsoft's start-up anecdotes.

They had the assy line in their restaurant and he talked them into selling franchises, he collected a 1% royalty on the burgers of the franchises he sold. He almost went bankrupt until a guy told him he should be in the real estate business vs the hamburger business. So he started the "franchise real estate company" later renamed Mcdonald's corp. That way he owned the land the franchisee built on and he leased it back. He could then yank the lease if the franchisee wasn't doing to suit. This works the same way for all supplies for the franchisee, all cups bags and other supplies must be ordered from Mcdonald's Corp.

So Mcdonald's Corp is really just a large real estate company and distribution company ( via Martin-Brower co as the logistics provider)